“Great food, poor service”
Review of Cochon

Cochon
Ranked #1,897 of 4,519 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Cross street: Catharine street (between 5th/6th)
Reviewed June 8, 2012

Fantastic food, rude server. I would've given this place five stars if not for the poor service.

First, I'll address the food. Everything was so tasty. What I ate:
Escargots w/ pancetta, concasse & herb butter
Pork tenderloin w/ sauteed mushrooms, asparagus & fingerling potatoes topped w/ a red-wine reduction
Shortbread soaked in warm maple syrup topped w/ bacon ice cream

Can't speak highly enough of everything I ate. I definitely want to go back to try more of their dishes.

Now to the service... Even though the service sucked, I won't take it personally. I heard from others that it's just the way it is here. I say it sucked because it seemed like the waiter was eager to get us out of the restaurant. We felt rushed, as in he kept coming back quickly to get our order even if we asked for more time, and he seemed like an impatient snob when we asked about stuff on the menu or for his recommendations. Aside from his attitude, he served us well -- brought out the dishes promptly, refilled our waters at the right time, etc.

Anyway -- even if you do get a bad server, it's still worth the visit. It's also BYOB & cash only.

Reviewed May 28, 2012

Great appetizers: crispy chicken livers, oysters, gnocchi, mussels, we shared a taste of each. All with raves. Hanger steak, Trio of pork, and scallops & shrimp for entree's Prepared to perfection. Great pleasant friendly service. Never tasted pork bellies, but did enjoy. Bella vista a nice area with trendy dining spots. Reasonable prices, but no credit cards, only disappointment.

1  Thank richard r
Reviewed April 22, 2012

We loved loved loved it.
That night we went there they were out of pork belly-which is what we were waiting to try... and still everything was delicious and skillfully prepared. A bit cramped, kinda small, but food is what makes this place. Yes, we will be back. They better have that belly ready!

Did I say we loved it?

Reviewed April 9, 2012

We decided to try Cochon last weekend based on recommendation we got from one of our Philadelphia “foodie” friends. We were not disappointed. Located at the intersection of Catharine Street and Passyunk Avenue, just east of 6th Street, Cochon had the charming look and feel of a restaurant one would find in a sleepy Parisian neighborhood. The food was out of this world. The menu consisted of 5-6 appetizers ranging from $8-$14 and 5-6 main courses ranging from $22-$28. They also had several specials. And as the name implies, many of the items were pork. I started off with Gnocchi with lump crabmeat and asparagus, and for my main course I had one of the specials: a petit Delmonico with a port wine and cherry glaze served with a potato & leek soufflé. The atmosphere was romantic and the crowd was mixed ages. If you have been to Paris and enjoy small, unique, one-of-a-kind boutique restaurants, you’ll love Cochon.

Reviewed April 5, 2012

This was a great little place for brunch if you like pork. The food was good. The portions were generous. The service was great. I would definitely go back again.