“Just OK” 3 of 5 bubbles

Good Dog
Ranked #116 of 4,314 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Full Bar, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Waitstaff
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Just OK”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 9, 2013

I have been wanting to stop in to Good Dog for years, especially after seeing them on DDD. I work in center city, but usually stay closer to One Liberty for lunch and usually just get a sandwich. Went for lunch on a Friday with an old friend who was in town. The place was packed, upstairs and down. It's a narrow shotgun type of location that might be 20 feet wide and 100 feet long, bar on the left as you walk in with booths on the right.

Tap list was about 12 beers, well selected, but nothing I haven't seen before. Lagunitas IPA, Allagash, etc. Soup of the day was mushroom barley. Comes in one size, a huge cereal type bowl and it was quite delicious. Broth based, not cream. A bit greasy on top, but fine by me. Really good.

I then tried the signature burger with the pocket of blue cheese in the middle and a huge mound of fries on the side with chipotle dipping sauce. My 3 star rating is because the soup was a 5 but the burger and fries were a 1. The blue cheese wasn't very blue. No real tang or blue cheese flavor. Could have been American for all I could tell. Tasty bacon with it, but not enough to save it. It was a bacon burger. I can get that anywhere. The fries were a joke. Big pile of soggy, greasy, limp French fries with no flavor other than frying oil. The chipotle dipping sauce was mayonnaise and if there was something chipotle in there, you could have fooled me.

Not sure I will bother going back. There are lots of better choices in center city. Go ahead and try it, but don't expect it to blow you away.

• Visited November 2013

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Best Burgers with fries in the city! :)”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 6, 2013

This is my favorite spot for burgers with fries. The burgers are delicious and they give you a mix of regular and sweet fries with a very good dipping sauce :) It's so good! They also have a good selection of beers on tap. The place is a little bit dark overall. They have a decent size game room on the top floor with pool, darts and a couple of arcades.

• Visited October 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Apex, North Carolina
“Great spot for food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 24, 2013

Stopped in on a whim and found great beer menu, also a great food place too....tried their burger and fries but the burger was especially fresh and tasty.

Visited October 2013
Philadelphia, PA
“Not so good”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 11, 2013

There were four of us from work that went to Good Dog for lunch after seeing it on Diners, Drive-Ins and Dives. We figured we'd have a good meal but that wasn't the case. The waitress didn't feel the need to write down our orders. And, in fact, she had to come back and ask us what we ordered. We knew that wasn't a good sign. Two of us ordered burgers - one a Good Dog burger with bacon added, the other was a Traditional burger also with bacon. We were right, she didn't get the burger order right. Both were Traditional burgers, one with bacon, the other without. It wouldn't have been so bad, but the burger wasn't that great. The other two orders were 'okay'. Needless to say, this is one place we won't be back.

• Visited October 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Great late night place to get some food and some beer.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2013

My brother and I were looking for a place to get some good late night food close to our hotel in Philadelphia. Thank goodness I had read about this restaurant/bar before our trip and had written it down as a possible restaurant to go to. I like a good beer and I like to try different kinds so the bar side of it made our decision to go here all the more easy. Plus it stays open till 2a.m. while most other restaurants we were thinking about going to close at 10p.m. in that area of Philadelphia. This bar/restaurant has an upstairs and a downstairs bar and tables. We chose the upstairs as it is a little quieter than the downstairs since we were eating and wanting to visit. We also sat by a tv so we could watch some of the football games going on. We got right in on a Friday night without a wait. The downstairs was really hopping but for us older folks the upstairs was just right. We had great service and the waiter was great in making suggestions from the regular/specials menu as well as from the beer menu. We ordered the grilled cheese on the special menu as well as empanadas from the appetizer menu. Both were good and I loved the fact that this restaurant had unusual offerings besides just your typical burger and fries. The beer was good and cold.

• Visited September 2013