“Excellent food - went for restaurant week to help with costs”

Fogo de Chao Brazilian Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #16 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Brazilian, South American, Steakhouse
Good for: Special occasions, Large groups, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Private Dining, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: S. Juniper Street
Description: We are an authentic Churrascaria (Brazilian Steakhouse) from Rio Grande do Sul in southern Brazil which features superior service, unrivaled cuisine and a unique dining experience.You will be pampered by our authentic Gaucho chefs who come to your tableside to carve a variety of succulent meats right off their skewers. Our featured meats have been slow-roasted over an open flame and lightly seasoned to preserve the unique taste of each tender cut.Adding to our unique dining experience, you will be treated to a sumptuous, gourmet salad and vegetable bar featuring over 30 items including imported cheeses, cured meats, fresh vegetables and more. We complement your meal with traditional Brazilian side dishes such as caramelized bananas, crispy polenta, seasoned mashed potatoes and our world-famous cheese bread (pao de queijo).No meal is complete without trying a refreshing caipirinha, something from our award-winning wine list or one of our decadent desserts
Philadelphia
“Excellent food - went for restaurant week to help with costs”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

This was my first time at Fogo, though I had heard a lot about it. The building itself is beautify, with a three story vaulted ceiling. There was a group of 10 that went to Fogo for Restaurant Week which helped greatly with the cost. We each got dinner for $35 per person, which is close to 50% off the normal price.

I agree with the comments that the waiters seem to push tables through, but since our seating was not until 9:30pm, we did not feel this pressure. However the entire restaurant buzzes with activity, so I am not shocked that the hectic feeling is passed along to customers. This is not a quiet, sit down and sip win dinner. This is a dining experience, and once you flip your card green, you better be ready for meat-a-palooza!

Dinner includes access to an amazing salad and anti-pasta bar, complete with cheeses, roasted vegetables, cured meats, olives, etc. I think they let people fill up on this salad bar ahead of the meal so there is less room for the higher priced meat. As a Fogo rookie, someone suggested that I not over do it at the salad bar, and I am glad for that person's advice.

Back at the table, the salad plates are cleared and the meat begins. In order to "activate" the meat course, you flip a paper coaster to either green (bring on the meat) or red (stop the meat). Within minutes of you flipping the card to green, the meat begins. The fast moving staff who are carrying spears of meat show up at your plate and shave off a piece of whatever they happen to have. For restaurant week they had sirloin, filet, lamb, bacon wrapped chicken, bacon wrapped scallop, ribs and they "house" cut of meat, which I could not identify the cut, but I completely enjoyed it. The chefs offer varying temperatures of meat (rare-well done), but since I mostly like medium-medium rare, I was happy with whatever they carved off for me. I am sure if you were one of those "I only eat well done beef" people, you may have had a bit more difficult of a time finding an acceptable piece.

During dinner the tables is plentifully stocked with three sides: caramelized plantains, fried polenta and mashed potatoes. All of these side dishes were excellent, but I especially liked the fried plantains.

Dessert was one of three choices: chocolate cake, cheesecake or key lime pie. The portions of pie were well sized, not a tiny bit of pie drizzled with all types of garnish. These were decent serving sides, and certainly enough to share.

The beer list has a lot of room for growth. Unfortunately they had your typical "American's Don't Drink Good Beer (ADDGB)" list. Bud, Miller, Coors, yuck, yuck, yuck. I stuck with the house wine instead, which was about $8 a glass which is in line with what I would expect to pay at a restaurant such as Fogo.

The service was good enough for my purposes. As I have mentioned, the restaurant really buzzes with activity, so I did not expect a super attentive waiter. My water and wine were kept full and my plate was cleared as needed.

I will 100% come back again to Fogo, but I think I will only do so during restaurant week so as to get the most value for my money. While it was a delicious steak meal, I would not be happy spending $75 per person on this dinner. For that type of money, I would rather go to a nice steak house and sit and enjoy a quiet dinner with my partner. Fogo was an experience, and great for a group event.

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Korean first
Pennsylvania
“Fabulous food”
Reviewed October 18, 2012

I lucked out - it was restaurant week and I could eat here for only $35. All the meat you can eat, plus salad and dessert. Can't beat that price. The wait staff are beyond excellent and the meat, served tableside on long skewers from which they slice a portion for you, was out of this world.

Visited October 2012
Switzerland
“A Carnivore? Make sure you dont miss this!!!”
Reviewed October 17, 2012

Excellent food - great variety of salads off the salad bar, and of course endless courses of various meat dishes that kept coming! Had lovely wine to compliment.
A unique experience and for sure made a standard business dinner into fun
Great service, too
Did not see the bill, so no idea of the price range

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Fun Dining with a group”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

A mostly retired group of friends who worked in or with the School District dined at Fogo in a group of 14 this week. This is a very busy restaurant but all went well. You could make a full meal of the terrific help yourself salad bar and skip the rest of the meal. We didn't of course! Wait staff bring a variety of meats directly to the table and you can eat until your hearts content.
Bring a large appetite for this experience. Drinks and desserts were also good. This is a fun place to enjoy a group meal as it is lively and well appointed.
Have funa nd eat hardy!

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Meat Lovers Paradise”
Reviewed October 12, 2012

Meat, meat, and more meat. Salad bar is great too. As long as you eat until you cannot walk then you get your moneys worth.

• Visited September 2012