“Brunch heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Amada

Amada
Reserve with OpenTable
Amada is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #20 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mediterranean, Spanish
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Bar scene, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Brunch, Full Bar, Private Dining, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between 2nd & 3rd
Transit: Septa 21, 42
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Brunch heaven!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 11, 2013 via mobile

Informative, friendly and attentive service with superbly tasty Spanish tapas with a brunchy twist. Highly recommended! Try the Aqua de Valencia :)

West Trenton, New Jersey
“Primal but WOW was it delicious”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013

Amada is known for tapas (small appetizer plates) and they do those very well. I also heard that they do a half or whole suckling pig with two-three days advance notice. My spouse surprised me on my birthday with the feast with four of our very good friends. We arrived at 7:15 p.m. for our reservation and was immediately sat at the table in the center of the restaurant. Our waitress, Sarah was very very good and was open to however we wanted to be served (more about that in a minute). We were told that the main course comes with three sides; beans with bacon, chick peas and grilled scallions. We ordered the following appetizers ahead of our feast: white anchovies (I don't eat these but the group said they were fabulous), garlic shrimp (nothing fancy), crab stuffed red peppers (excellent as well with a very nice crab and beautifully subtle red pepper) and beef croquets (a little bland and over coated but the sauce was delicious). Prior to these appetizers they serve each table very nice crispy bread flats (seasoned) with a tuna dip...very subtle and very delicious.

OK before we get to the main feast let me say that the service was overall very very good - although I would give it a 4 in the sense that it took a long time to get my Chopin Vodka from the bar (not Sarah's fault - probably the bar) and I was drinking a bunch of water and the bus person was having a hard time keeping up but did a pretty good job.

OK now to the primal feast - we asked for the head to be removed. Now you can get the whole suckling pig ($440) or half ($220). It is prepared beautifully with skin on but before it is delivers a cutting card is rolled to the table. Table comes out and as Sarah (server) said - 30 minutes later the pig comes out. Beautifully brown and our own chef to cut the meat. The skin is removed and saved to be cut individually after the chef carefully removed the meat all the way through the bones and then cuts the bones and places all the meat on two plates. Sarah started serving and was very gracious however we wanted to get what we wanted so I asked if she could just leave the serving dishes with the meats on the table. She was very lovely and said sure. So we had it family style and passed it around - WOW! The flavor was out of this world. Crispy skin - beautifully brown with juicy meat accompanying. It was heaven. Yes primal in that we had half a baby pig sitting on our table but it is the food chain and I was grateful (as I always am) that the little guy gave his life for us to enjoy...I never take this for granted since I was raised on a farm in Spain and saw first hand the slaughter of pigs with absolute reverence - they never took more than they needed just what they needed and enjoyed the entire animal. That is how I felt this evening...I was grateful. It was simply the most delicious pork I had ever had and enjoyed so very much. Sides were nice, but the pork was the star.

Believe it the six of us finished 3/4 of the meet enjoying every succulent morsel and felt we had to end with dessert. Amada was kind enough to bring me out a birthday dessert with one candle - they did not sing at the request of our friend - sweet. We ordered the following additional desserts; olive oil cake - with rhubarb sauce - WOW!!!! and the table favorite, chocolate mint ice cream covered in chocolate crust...again - WOW!!! and special donut (don;t know how to describe because it was so unique but it was delicious.

Apologies for the length of this but I a hoping you get the sense that this was a fabulous evening, food, service - everything except the valet parking offered ($18.00) easy drop off but when we picked up the car it took at least 15 minutes - ridiculous with one of the valet guys working sitting outside eating. I am all for them eating but do it when you don't have people waiting in line. This was the only disappointment.

I have never given a restaurant an excellent rating (it is too hard to go up from that rating) but this was spectacular. If I was just to rate the appetizers, I would give it a 4. However if you like pork and want to go primal and enjoy some suckling pig...you won't be disappointed (unless you don't like pork). It was worth every dollar.

Greensboro, North Carolina
“Brunch with a twist”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Because this is a Spanish tapas place, their brunch offering is small and Spanish. With that caveat, it was an excellent brunch. I had the Anada omelette and my son had chorizo con papas. Small portions and excellent taste.

East Lansing, Michigan
“Lively, mediocre, overpriced”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 29, 2013

Great atmosphere, and attentive/friendly service. The food, unfortunately, was just mediocre and rather overpriced. Gazpacho was quite flavorful but the pureed consistency was disappointing. Lamb meatballs were overly rich and salty. No subtlety here. The crab-stuffed peppers were good but the serving was very small, even for tapas -- don't plan on sharing if you order this. Forget the "platatas bravas" (spicy potatoes). Pretty much flavorless tator tots artfully topped with a bland creamy sauce. I wanted to like this place more, but the food did not live up to its billing.

• Visited July 2013
“Helped celebrate our 20th Anniversary”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 28, 2013

We came here on a Friday night. We were 2 hours late of our reservation. They accomodated us anyway. When I made the original reservation, I told them it was our 20th anniversary. They must have made some kind of notation, because we got our first round of drinks free plus desserts! The food was really excellent. And the service was outstanding!
Thank you, Amada, for helping to make our 20th anniversary so special !!

• Visited July 2013