“Great vegetarian restaurant in the heart of center city!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Su Xing House

Su Xing House
Ranked #535 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Chinese, Asian
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: City Center West
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Great vegetarian restaurant in the heart of center city!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2012

We eat lunch here a few times a month. The owner is very professional and this place has received several business awards. We generally go after 1:30 to miss the lunch crowd and we've never had a problem with service.

We prefer the upper room and it's great If you can get one of two booths by the window to watch the street scene.

They have lunch specials from $6.50 - $8.25 which include soup (my favorite is Miso...& it's not very salty!), side dish (lots of choices, but I get a spring roll -not greasy) and white or brown rice (brown, of course!) plus your entree! It's a deal.

Everything we've ordered has been fresh, tasty and well prepared. Just had the Sesame Seitan, which comes with broccoli and it was delicious (as usual).

They are open for dinner and this would be great place to eat before going to the Wilma Theater or the Academy of Music (even Susanne Roberts Theater, but that's a few blocks further).

Note: Lunch time is very crowded, so I'd suggest going at 11:30 or after 1:30 during the day.

Also, this is good, comfortable place for singles to eat. There are some tables on the upper room that we see singles in all the time. We've even seen singles in booths when we ate during the off hours for a late lunch after 2:00.

Even if you're not a vegetarian, this is good place to season your palette with some good vegetarian food. Love it!

• Visited March 2012

Glens Falls, New York
“One of the top 3 vegetarian finds in Philly”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2012

I had both lunch and dinner. I found the staff just fine, professional. They were not chatty, but i wouldn't call them sullen. I was happy to concentrate on what my guest was saying.

Both lunch and dinner were terrific. The menu was a bit long. So I didn't bother with that. I just asked for what I wanted. Mixed vegetables w/tofu over brown rice in a garlic sauce.
Both lunch and dinner were excellent. Portions were large enough to fill me up, even when i was very hungry from walking around & biking all day. Mixed veggies were cooked as expected..firm & a little crunch..

Two things were different from where i live. The tofu was more dense than the bean curd I am used to and I was very happy to order the BROWN rice. Yippee.

I really liked the atmosphere. The old building.. The heavy window curtains with beads hanging down at the edges were unique. Very pretty.

Overall.. I would say don't miss this resturant when you go to Philly.

• Visited March 2012
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Exquisite cuisine with a bad attitude!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2012

If I was rating the food alone, I would assuredly give this place 5 stars- the
food was simply amazing for vegetarians and not vegetarians alike!

However, despite this absolutely amazing food, they lost a star and perhaps
maybe should lose two stars given the fact that they are incredibly rude.

It is true that the waitress stomps her feet and/or pouts about
customers not being ready to order immediately. Additionally, the staff appears to be incredibly unfriendly to everyone, and I noticed this from the diverse crowd that was in the place while we were, it does not appear specific to race or orientation or otherwise. Mainly I noticed how they treated other people because I started to think the
same thing about them disliking my fiancé and I because we were new or what have
you. However, after paying attention for awhile I realized that they are just
incredibly rude, it doesn't matter what race, gender, sexual orientation or what
have you. It seems like if you are not part of their family then they don't like
you, period.

I find this to be quite sad considering the immense diversity within Philly,
especially center city. Additionally, as a business establishment it's really
unfortunate that they do not even feel compelled to be polite to their paying
customers as if they feel it is unnecessary to do so.

Bottom line...like everyone has said the General Tso's anything is amazing, the
moo shu is delicious and hand wrapped for you and in front of you by the staff.
I haven't had their food in 1 month and I am craving it desperately, that's how
good it is.

So, I will go back but it will be to pick up a takeout order, I have an interest
in eating their food but do not have an interest in feeling uncomfortable when I
do so. Until I find a place that has equally good veg chinese food and better
hospitality, I will be ordering from here for takeout only and when I do find a
better place- I'm gone.

• Visited December 2011
“Excellent food, service not quite so good.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 4, 2012

Very good Chinese vegan food, and reasonably priced for the lunch deal. Slightly let down by the sullen waitress and below average table service but would definitely go back.

Washington DC, District of Columbia
“Vegetarian Chinese restaurant is my favorite place in the land of the Cheesesteak”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 18, 2011

I am not a vegetarian. I love meat. I love seafood. But, as soon as I walk into Philadelphia, I start thinking about eggplant and tofu, fungus soup, general tso's tofu, green beans, braised mushrooms, and all of the other delicacies at this amazing Chinese vegetarian place. Other than outside a buddhist temple in Tibet, the best Chinese vegetarian food I have ever had. Plenty for the meat eater- imitation meat and fish that will amaze. Delightful staff, nice atmosphere, reasonable prices.

Visited October 2011