“Up and Down Experience”

Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed December 26, 2013

Food-wise this place is excellent. Basically an innovative mexican restuarant with creative preparations. Flavors are very good (though never quite match our expectations). Chips and salsa on the table are very good. Burritos (try the goat) are very good. Flavored Margaritas are very good.
Downside: It is LOUD and crowded in the restaurant. They've added outside seating but it to can get loud.

Reviewed December 12, 2013

I have been to the Cantina a few times, never again. The servers make you feel like you are doing them a favor being there. I think it is more of a hipster bar than a place for anything else. I did not like seing the large bait stations all around the outer fence. The outside area was packed so I guess most people do not care about that. They also let DOGS eat in this outside area. No, they do not serve them, but their owners do. I do have the say the INSIDE is very clean. The free salsa and chips keeps the hipsters drinking. If you want a pitcher of margaritas and free chips and salsa, this is the place for you.

Reviewed October 14, 2013

I live in the neighborhood and used to go with out of town guests for a margarita on the patio and just accept the cold pre-made guacamole and mediocre margaritas as part of the south Philly charm but the service just keeps getting worse. South Philly is a great neighborhood with friendly people but the Cantina is not a good reflection of this. They just aren't nice and I think they believe that it's ok to treat neighbors and customers poorly.

Reviewed September 19, 2013

The homemade chips placed on table were excellent. We were given two sauces, both rather tasty. Should note that we were scraping dish for sauce with over half of our chips remaining. We asked for more sauce, and the same diminutive portions were served. As for entrees, the chicken totada was very good. A nice blend of veggies with chicken, and very crispy shell. Partner had shrimp fajitia. Loved them ! Plus enought to take home for another meal. Service, while friendly, was a bit slow. menu could be expanded a bit. Overall, would recommend a trip here if in the area and have a taste fo authentic Mexican.

Reviewed September 16, 2013

I was staying with a friend who lives a few blocks away. I wanted to take him out and get some drinks and food and got him and some others to go here since I figured we could get a variety. The drinks were mostly limited to tequila and margarita fare. The food menu had a lot going for it and got the shrimp burrito which I really enjoyed. We were there at 7pm on a Friday so it was pretty crowded. You'll enjoy it depending on your outside interests. If you want to chill, it's pretty good. If you want to chill on a weekend , maybe look elsewhere. Also if you want to watch a sports game, there's not too many TVs around and there's likely to be a wait for the bathrooms .