“Good place to hang out”

Cantina Los Caballitos
Ranked #535 of 4,465 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed September 17, 2012

The Cantina is a cool place. The drinks/beers are decently priced and the margaritas are usually really tasty. The pitchers are definitely a plus too!

The food is pretty good & I like the atmosphere. I went there Saturday night to watch the Phils game & hang out with friends. It was pretty crowded but it wasn't stuffy & overwhelming like other places.

Reviewed August 5, 2012

Well, I'd say this is more than long overdue....

Living just a block away, it's no wonder that 1/5 of my weeks meals are consumed at the Cantina. Having religiously dined here every Friday night for going on a year, I can tell you first hand this is definitely the best local spot to unwind after the weekly 9-5 grind.

We always ALWAYS order the Grande Nachos with Vegan Beef--even though none of us are Vegan. It's simply delicious. And ideal for sharing. We also always enjoy at least one (let's be honest....it's more like two) pitcher(s) of margaritas, always frozen, and usually fruity (strawberry, blackberry, raspberry, etc. and ask for sugar for the rim!) The complimentary green salsa and chips is so good it's actually making my mouth water right now thinking about it....I also recommend the Mexican Hot Dog, Guacamole with Bacon, and Chicken Quesadilla. Delish.

The Birria might be the most expensive item on the menu--but WOW. WOWWWWWW. Exquisite. The tastes transport you to a 5 star dining establishment, without having to pay more than $6 for a cocktail.

Whether for Sunday brunch, dinner any night of the week, or a late night snack, the Cantina always delivers. Perfect for groups, AMPLE outdoor seating (seriously--the best), witty staff, and stiff drinks--this is definitely my top choice of places in the area.

Reviewed May 6, 2012

Enjoyed a outside dining experience at Cantina Los Caballitos with 3 others. We started w a pitcher of the house margarita which was made perfectly. We shared the plantians which aren't the typical deep fried chips but thicker pieces with warm insides which was a nice surprise. I ordered the mahi tacos which were cooked too perfection with a nice slaw like topping. My wife ordered the chicken quesadilla which was tasty and huge (a meal in itself). Over all the food/drink/atmosphere was spot on for this neighborhood cantina. We will return soon!

Reviewed April 23, 2012

If you like Mexican, there is now way not to love it here. This place is perfect for a get together when the weather is nice to drink and converse outside. Their outside seating area is fairly large. From the chips and salsa to the wide array of margarita flavors the place provides choices for just about anyone. The staff is attentive and well informed on the menu items, not to mention they are all pretty hot. For the vegan/vegetarian, there are many options available and they are one of the places that do the special dietary menu options well. I have a vegan quesadilla on one occasion and literally wanted to get it again the next day.

Reviewed April 11, 2012

I went about one week ago and ordered the Cachanga. It was delicious!!! It's a frye bread with refried beans, lettuce, chorizo (mexican sausage), sour cream and guacamole. I also tried the shrimp ceviche which was very good. Prices are reasonable and you can sit inside or outside. They have friendly service and we didn't wait too long to be seated. I went in the evening around 7pm for dinner and waited about 10 minutes to sit outside. I'd go to this place again to try some of the other stuff on their menu. They also have vegetarian options.