“Waffle with Bell of Liberty”

Best Western Plus Independence Park Hotel
Ranked #2 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed September 12, 2012

I arrived late at night. The entrance to the hotel was locked. When I pushed the door bell button and confirmed my name and reservation, I was let in by the lady at front desk. This experience added a sence of security in such a cosmopolitan. The room was spacious, with elegant decor. I enjoyed the breakfast very much, especially the hot waffle with a bell of liberty at the very heart. You've got to try it.

The hotel locates at the brink of Independence park. So the next morning, with an early start and a hearty breakfast, I toured the park on foot. It was only minutes walk from the hotel to Liberty Hall, Bell of Liberty, Washington Square, Visitors Center and other points of interest.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
InnsOfDistinction, General Manager at Best Western Plus Independence Park Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Dear Will W,

Thanks for staying with us at the Independence Park Hotel and telling the world how much you enjoyed our hotel. Honestly, I loved reading your review, thanks!

I am pleased that you enjoyed our prime location to Independence National Park and that you found your room spacious and elegantly appointed. This is always nice to hear.

But I think my favorite part of your review was about our “Liberty Bell" waffles. They smell so wonderful when they are cooking and they are truly delicious. You said it right when you wrote..."You've got to try it"!

Anyway, thanks again for selecting the Independence Park Hotel and posting your comments on TripAdvisor. We appreciate both!

JM

Write a ReviewReviews (1,541)

Reviewed September 11, 2012

From the moment I spoke with Lynn O'Hare by phone to book our reservations at Independence Park Hotel, I knew we had chosen wisely. Upon our arrival she met us at the desk and gave us such good and clear directions about what to see and where to dine in the 24-hour period we had in the Old City. It was a thrill to stay in this historic hotel in the midst
of sites we had only read about in history books. The hotel was charming, and the staff so pleasant and friendly. We wished we had had more time to sight-see. We will count on a return trip as soon as possible when we have more time to spend in the "city of brotherly love"!

Room Tip: Our room faced the street where we waked with early morning light.
Reviewed September 10, 2012

This is one of the nicest hotels I have ever stayed at. I happened to arrive 5 hours late because
of a plane delay, and the staff was really wonderful to welcome my wife who arrived earlier than
me. The main reason for my trip was to see the historic sites around Independence hall, and
this hotel could not be better situated, since it is only about three short blocks from there.
You get a full (not a continental) breakfast and the room was very nice. My only complaint
(very minor) was that the time was incorrect on the alarm clock in the room, and I could not
figure how to change it.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed September 10, 2012

Yes, the hotel could do with a little facelift, but what is lacking in style is made up by the absolutely fantastic hotel staff. They could not be more attentive! Special thanks to Lynn, who makes every guest feel at home. The breakfast and rooms are good. There are free cookies with tea & coffee everyday and on Wednesday there is a cheese and wine get together in the lobby. Major sights are all within walking distance. Excellent choice for Philadelphia!

1  Thank Louise B
Reviewed September 6, 2012

We stayed at the hotel over Labor Day weekend and had an amazing time. The hotel is ideally located near many historic sites and great restaurants. The staff was able to recommend many nice restaurants within walking distance. The staff was very helpful, friendly and positive. I was surprised this resonated throughout all employees I met during our stay. They actually seemed as though they enjoyed their job.

The hotel is clean and our room was pleasantly decorated. The room we stayed in was small compared to most hotel rooms but given the location of the hotel it made it seem quaint rather than compact. There were a lot of options for breakfast, fresh fruit was available all day and cookies in the evening. I would definitely recommend this hotel to friends and family. it would be my first option on a return trip to Philly!

1  Thank travellinhippie
Reviewed September 5, 2012

It couldn't be a better location for anyone visiting the historic sites in Philadelphia. In addition, the staff was very friendly and helpful. Breakfasts were delicious, and the rooms were lovely. Thanks to all.

Reviewed September 5, 2012

I stayed in this hotel two separate times over a two week period for a business trip. Overall it was a nice place and I was satisfied. The location is great for site seeing, and they provide a lot of options for breakfast. My room the first week was simple but clean and comfy, although my air condition went out twice. They were quick to send the engineer to fix it, though. The second week I was upgraded to a king room which was significantly nicer than the queen room I had the first week.

Most of the staff was very friendly and helpful except for one woman who works in the afternoons/evening. She was pretty rude to our group and not very accommodating at all. A dozen of us started out at this hotel at the beginning of the trip and more than half moved to other hotels within a few days because they were unsatisfied with the accommodations and service. Many asked for rooms with a mini refrigerator so they could buy groceries instead of eating out in restaurants every day, but the rude manager refused the requests and said she could only provide refrigerators for an additional $15/day. This is not what I would call "exceeding customer expectations" as they claim to do. They certainly lost a lot more money when those people switched hotels than they would have lost by providing refrigerators at no charge. Also, on two separate occasions a woman from the housekeeping staff knocked quickly and walked right into my room without announcing herself or waiting for a response. Unfortunately, it only takes one or two bad encounters to cast a shadow over the entire experience.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business