All reviewsitalian marketsouth streetsummer breezesecret roomcontinental breakfastfull kitchenliving roomfirst floorwithin walking distancecoffee makerfew blocksthree blocksopened the doorhistorical areaair conditionerbed was very comfortableold city
Reviewed September 18, 2017

Within three blocks of South street but a world apart. Very nice decor and a quite place in a big city. Great restaurants nearby and yet its own little place in the hood. Loved the check in process and great continental breakfast and there is always fruit available.

• Stayed: September 2017, traveled as a couple
Dan M, Owner at Philadelphia Hotel Bella Vista, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2018

Thank you. Yes, we are close to all the best of Philadelphia. We have converted to a boutique hotel but will retain all the charm of a bed and breakfast. Although we will no longer offer the self-serve continental breakfast we will still offer coffee, teas spring water and a variety of fruit. We are now known as PHILADELPHIA HOTEL BELLA VISTA. We hope to see you in the near future.

Reviewed August 27, 2017 via mobile

My husband and I enjoyed a weekend away at Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast. We had an absolute blast in the Grande room. This is the place for travelers who love all the special details in a B&B.

The Grande room was especially breathtaking, and well worth the price for the huge amount of space you get. The location is conveniently near many shopping sites and right next door to a romantic Italian restaurant.

Parking was easy and cheap in a nearby indoor lot that the management recommends. We enjoyed the keyless rooms, and felt management was extremely helpful in always answering any calls we had with questions.

They really do make AMAZING muffins!!!

Stayed: August 2017, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your kind words. We are very glad you enjoyed you visit at Bella Vista. We have been busy doing even more improvements to the houses. We will now operate as a boutique hotel while keeping all the charm of a bed and breakfast. We will still offer coffee, a variety of teas, spring water and an abundance of fresh fruit to our guest. We will be known as PHILADELPHIA HOTEL BELLA VISTA and hope you will visit again and enjoy our INN and all Philadelphia has to offer.

Reviewed July 20, 2017

We visited Philly for the second time and had a wonderful stay there. Instead of booking a hotel, we wanted to have a more individual expericience this time. The Bella Vista B&B definetly kept its promise. The rooms are very cozy and have a lovely unique touch. Our room was decorated with vintage pictures and items. We also had a great roof deck (with chairs and tables) and a great view on the skyline of Philly. Everything was clean and we felt very at ease. The owners and the people working there were friendly and helpful. With the modern code locks on all doors you can check in and leave when ever you want. We really liked it to not worry about any keys. The B&B is located in the center of the Bella Vista Neighborhood where there is great stuff to explore nearby. We went to the Italian market, just 2 blocks away and after a great lunch, we moved on to the famous South Street (also just a few blocks away). Try Jims Cheesesteak, its absolutely worth it! Also to the main city center is not really far and you can rach it in 15-20 minutes by foot. We definitely come back when in in Philly again.

• Stayed: July 2017, traveled as a couple
Reviewed June 28, 2017

Although it was the antique look of the Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast that first appealed to me, I chose the "Summer Breeze" room. It was large, clean, and bright. It had a '40's or 50's vibe with the funky furniture and movie posters, and art posters such as by Klee and Lichtenstein. The little kitchenette was hidden away (I like that) and well-stocked with fruit, rolls, coffee and drinks for a continental breakfast. We had a great time here!

Room Tip: I would consider which floor a room is on, my knees didn't care for walking to our third-floor room but it wasn't that bad!
  • Stayed: June 2017, traveled with friends
Dan M, Manager at Philadelphia Hotel Bella Vista, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2017

We are thrilled you enjoyed your stay with us at Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast. It is always a good idea when booking through an outside booking site which will only give limited detail to call the Inn to have input into which room you will occupy. We do our best to answer all inquiries and also refer all to our web site which has detailed information, descriptions and pictures of our 21 rooms. The rooms are furnished and decorated in many different styles. Our rooms are located on different floors in three separate historic townhouses. Our breakfast offering is a Lite Self-serve Continental type which you can enjoy in your own private dining area in your room. If you wish to go out we have several of the Best breakfast cafes in Philadelphia within a block or two of the BNB.
Thank you again for visiting with us and we hope to see you at as future date.

Reviewed June 24, 2017

My spouse and I stayed at Bella Vista with family last weekend, we were booked for the Shangri La room because on the web site it says it has a king bed or two twins. On arrival in the room we found that it was a queen bed. This is a disappointment specifically desiring a king bed. My spouse is tall and has a broken arm, so the extra space is important to his ability to find a comfortable position to sleep.

The way into this room is through the bathroom. Yes, that is weird. There is a door to the hallway in the bathroom and then a separate door into the sleeping area of the suite. Good to know, as it is certainly not a standard set up.

It was a hot day in Philadelphia, and as mentioned in previous reviews, it appears there is central air, but it is not adequate. There was an additional free standing window unit air conditioner added to the room, so that helped to keep the temperatures comfortable.

After settling in to the room which is complete with a microwave, coffee pot, toaster and small refrigerator, we wanted a cup of tea. The microwave worked for about 10 seconds before the fuses blew out, which included the air conditioner. We had to call three numbers listed in the three-ring binder left in the room to get a person to respond to our call for help to reset the breakers. There was a response within a half hour, but without a front desk or person on call in the building, it is a bit off-putting to not have a live person you can reach for an issue like this.

To try to avoid blowing the fuses again we investigated the plugs and found that all of the major electrical power was being pulled from a single outlet that had several power strips plugged in including the TV, coffee pot, microwave, refrigerator, toaster, and air conditioner. No wonder we blew a fuse. An extension cord for the microwave, toaster, coffee pot, and refrigerator went under the carpet across the corner of the room where there was a small table and chairs to the closet where the little kitchenette was located. After the tragic deaths of hundreds in London a few weeks ago, I might not have thought about the fire hazard in this room, that now seemed evident. The next morning visiting my parents room, The Outback, I noted the stringing of electrical wires outside of the building that we had stayed in. As a place of public lodging I am shocked the city of Philadelphia would find this operation in code. I did not see a fire alarm nor fire sprinklers or a fire extinguisher in sight.

This place was a huge disappointment on multiple levels and I have serious concerns about the safety of this place of lodging. I have posted photos to demonstrate my concerns. That said, the queen bed was comfortable, the shower and bathroom were as expected and the extra air conditioner was much needed. Now I remember why I say in hotels. Cozy, cute and quaint are one thing, but fire codes, safety, and bland expectations about a minimum of service are more important to me.

• Stayed: June 2017, traveled with family
1  Thank DCDenise

Thank you for your questions.
Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast is housed in historical buildings. It has a Hard Wired Fire Alarm System which is required for all multifamily buildings in Philadelphia. It has the required heat censors and smoke detectors throughout all areas of the houses. Philadelphia does not require three story residential buildings to have a sprinkler system. Clearly visible fire extinguishers are located on each level of the common hall areas. There are the required fire alarm pull stations at the entrances and exits of the buildings.
Not to worry the wires sighted on the outside wall are cable/ satellite and internet wire not electrical wiring. All electrical wiring in the house is within the walls, as required by Philadelphia housing codes.
Yes, there is central air which covers the Shangri La and the Secret Room together. It works fine in both rooms. We have had guests in the past that weren’t happy unless it is 50 degrees in the rooms and others that do not want it as cool. In an effort to keep everyone happy we added separate portable units so each of these rooms could adjust their temperature to suit them.
Our apologies for the bed confusion. I assume the mistake in the description caused the confusion. We instructed our web designer to fix the error in the description of the bed type and assumed they did fix their error. When the guest reserved there was no request in the notes section for a king bed. When I came to the room shortly after they arrived they made no mention of their desire for a king bed. If the guests had asked me about the bed I would have surely offered to move them to different room with a king bed.
We do sincerely try to accommodate all our guests.