All reviews italian market south street summer breeze secret room continental breakfast full kitchen living room first floor within walking distance coffee maker few blocks three blocks opened the door historical area air conditioner bed was very comfortable old city
Reviewed January 1, 2014

I'll give credit where it's due, and when it comes to this B&B it's definitely clean. However, maybe it's just me and my experiences, but this is the first B&B I've been to that didn't serve a hot breakfast. They pretty much give you packaged cereal, packaged oatmeal, and bread with milk and orange juice. For us, the price wasn't worth the stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kenkay12
Dan M, Owner at Philadelphia Hotel Bella Vista, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2014

Thank you for your review. As the owner of Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast and as someone who cares a great deal about our guests comfort and one who strives to provide value and satisfaction for everyone who stays at Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast I would like to offer you some suggestions for your future visits to any BNB. You should ALWAYS view their web site carefully and any confirmation notices you may receive from them. If unsure about something email or call that Inn. I believe that is WHAT caused your confusion when booking your stay with us. Our web site clearly states in BOLD lettering our breakfast offering and that it consist of a lite self serve type continental breakfast in your room at your desired time. We also state clearly in our confirmation letter that we do not cook a hot breakfast nor serve one in a common dining area. Our rooms each have their own private dining area. I believe a closer look in your future travels will insure that you have a clearer understanding of what to expect. It is my hope that these tips are helpful to you and should you decide to visit with us again there will be no confusion and your stay will be most enjoyable. Thank you Dan

Reviewed November 24, 2013

Great place, very clean & kinda funky very quiet, blocks from South Street, the 9th Street Italian Market, & The Morning Glory Diner (best big Bfst/Brunch Food in the City) Lots of good eats close by & the Most amazing Museum in Phily the Magic Gardens... amazing

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bill S
Reviewed October 22, 2013

First I'd like to say I got engaged in this beautiful Bed & Breakfast! It was just the perfect setting and the room was just everything we had hoped for.

We had booked a few months earlier with no problems at all. In fact, closer to our travel date we had noticed there was a special on TripAdvisor for 10% off our stay and the B&B had no problems applying the discount to our statement.

Secondly, location, location, location! We were able to walk almost everywhere from this Bed & Breakfast. We're seasoned walkers but it was incredibly close to all the major attractions.

My boyfriend (now fiance!) and I arrived a little early and we were greeted by, Sue Ellen. She was very informative and kind, gave us our pin codes for the front door and our rooms and told us if we ever needed her for anything she would just be a phone call away. I liked this, a lot. It made me feel like it was our own little home away from home. All the food that was in the room was ours. If we opened anything there would be no additional charge and there was a binder in the room to let us know everything we could possibly need. We did have some trouble with the AC but it was minor compared to how excellent everything else was.

We stayed in the Bohemian Room which was located in the building next to the main one, at 750 S. 10th St. The room was on the first floor closer to the back of the building. It is a very old place so if you're expecting everything to be shiny and new, don't come here. It has it's own little charm with some old paintings and murals on the walls. Everything creaks! The floors are noisy but I expected nothing less. The building dates back to the early 1900s. The bed was very comfortable and we slept very well. Walls are paper thin so if you get a guest next door who doesn't follow the respected 10pm-10am rule, you'll hear every bit of their conversation.

It is true, the breakfast is nothing special. Some snacks, bread for toasting, muffins (which are homemade) and some cereals that were replaced next morning with new varieties to choose from. There is a community fruit bowl in the front foyer that we were allowed to take from if we wanted and a Wholefoods store super close by we needed. The little kitchenette area has a microwave, toaster, coffeemaker, utensils and a fridge. The first two mornings we had our cereals but the last day we went to the diner on the corner, Morning Glory which was fantastic but I'll save that for another review.

Each time we returned to our room the bed was made and the towels were replaced. During the day the building smells like fresh clean laundry and muffins! We also had free range to visit any of the other buildings and the living room in the back of 752 S. 10th St. which has a small library and some board games to play with. This area also holds your luggage after check out if you want to squeeze a couple of more hours into your stay and explore more of Center City.

And lastly, check out was just as easy as check in. Sue Ellen told us from the get go that we could just leave at 11am, no need to even check out with her. We enjoyed our stay so much that we wanted to thank her personally before we left. We will definitely stay again another time.

Room Tip: Rooms towards the back are more private than in the front of the building and quieter. We stayed on the first floor and did hear people going up and down the stairs but it wasn't as loud as it could have been had we stayed in the front.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed September 7, 2013

This bed and breakfast is in a quiet and friendly neighborhood, just walking distance from the from center city. Me and my two friends stayed at the Tip Top suite and the room was large and spacious and you have your own kitchen. The owners are very nice, friendly and always willing to help. Great place to stay if you ever want to go to Philly!

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Nick A
Reviewed September 3, 2013

Spent Labor Day weekend here and it was our (two women in early 30s) first experience of a B&B. My expectations were nothing close to what this turned out to be. I was thinking it as a cheap place to rest my head. Definitely didn't expect a quaint, amazingly clean, private kitchenette area, and very spacious.

CHECK IN/CHECK OUT: Check in was a breeze. They email you the front door and room door codes. So you don't have to be bothered with lining up at a check-in counter and didn't have to worry about room keys. On our day of checkout, it was pouring and our flight wasn't under 6pm. They allowed us to stay until it was time to head to the airport. Dan is very accommodating.

THE ROOM: We actually got there super early and they were able to accommodate us. The second we walked into the room, we were simply blown away. The decor is beautiful and matches the history of Philadelphia. The refrigerator was stocked with bread, butter, jelly, juice, water, milk, and half and half. The food basket had teas, popcorn, oatmeal, and cereal. The room was equipped with a flat screen tea, iron, hair dryer, shower/bath products, additional pillows, and blankets. Just know that there is no phone in the room. This didn't bother us because we had cell phones, but for those that don't - FYI.

VIEW: Our view was fantastic. We were able to see down 10th street and the skyline of Philadelphia.

SAFETY: I sat on the stairs out front every night (after midnight) and I felt very safe. There were no strange characters to look out for. Lots of bicycle riders and foot traffic 24/7.

LOCATION: This place is away from the hustle and bustle, but is in walking distance to everything - Italian Market, Jim's/Pats/Genos steaks, shopping on South St, Whole Foods, Washington for Vietnamese food, Chinatown, Reading Terminal Market, and we even walked to the Liberty Mall.

STAFF: The owners are super friendly and very helpful. I had a great chat with Dan one night. He gave me the history of the area, told me about his travels and love for calypso music, and also recommended some places to check out.

PEOPLE IN THE AREA: People are really nice and always willing to recommend places to check out. Hopefully you'll meet Mills, the neighbor. He shared a mountain of information for places to eat and hang out.

I sort of want this gem to remain hidden, because I don't want it to get to popular, where they raise their prices. LOL I would stay here again, in a heartbeat and in the same room.

CONS: No hot breakfast (eggs) or fruit provided, but there is a Whole Foods on the corner, as well as Sam's Morning Glory Diner. No easy way to contact the caretakers, I tried calling them by phone from my cellphone one day, and didn't get anyone. Email finally worked. Other than that, it was PERFECT!!

*Home away from Home!* This stay has changed my perceptions of b&bs.

Room Tip: Lots of stairs to climb and no elevator. Morning Glory on the third floor, but you'll be breathing heavy when you get to the top. LOL It's a great room though.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends