All reviews italian market south street summer breeze secret room continental breakfast full kitchen living room first floor few blocks within walking distance coffee maker three blocks historical area opened the door air conditioner bed was very comfortable cheesesteak
Reviewed May 20, 2013

We stayed in the Summer Breeze room, lovely. Parking on the streets suck but we found free parking on 11th st. From there we walked everywhere, great neighborhood!
The room was clean and decent decorated. The hosts also very friendly and for breakfast we went to Sabrina's to get a real American one.

I recommend this place, will be back again!

Room tip: Summer Breeze has 2 beds. Perfect for 3 people.
Date of stay: May 2013
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here because it was near my son's apartment, so the location was ideal. However, the entire time of my 5 days there, I saw no one anywhere in the building except for a couple of Spanish-speaking maids. There was no one to greet or welcome me, no one to ask questions, & no one that could provide suggestions of places to see or good restaurants in the area, etc. Thank goodness for Google Maps!

Also, the decor & general upkeep of the apartment needed serious TLC. When I turned on the lamp in my room, the entire top fell over. I had to prop it against the wall in order to use it. The staff came to my "shared" living quarters door while I was dressing & wanted inside, but fortunately I had locked it. They came back later only to remove the entire lock from the door so it couldn't be locked at all. This left a tacky, gaping hole in the door. (Juvenile behavior) There were pieces of baseboard missing in the bathroom & splotches of mismatched paint on the ceiling. The bathroom door was (no kidding) no more than 25" wide. Way too narrow so you'd have to walk sideways thru the door! The apartment had an ant problem & the only view was the side of the adjacent building. The front door was even narrower than the bathroom door so you sometimes had to try more than once to wedge yourself thru. Since I didn't see any English-speaking tenants while I was there, I didn't even know til the last day there was an actual living room that was available for our use. I wouldn't have used it anyway cos it was right next to the manager's office--not much privacy.

In my travels & staying at B&Bs, I have never experienced a worse "breakfast" than this one. Breakfasts included in these places have generally provided hot, homemade food, fruit, pastries, breads, & beverages. This establishment provided a basket at the bottom of the stairs with day-old (if not more) bread, bagels, & English muffins in plastic baggies & a few apples & bananas. The uneaten fruit would stay in the basket day after day until the bananas turned brown. Disgusting.

There was nowhere to sit outside that I knew of except a small bench near the street, which wasn't really conducive to reading. Since I saw no one, there wasn't anyone to talk to about that.

Room tip: Don't take any rooms on the top floor. Request one with a view & a wider than 25" bathroom door. Don't expect to meet a lot of people there...not even the owner(s).
Date of stay: May 2013
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Dan M, Owner at Philadelphia Hotel Bella Vista, responded to this reviewResponded November 15, 2013

We have staff from 9 am - 5 pm Monday-Friday, Saturdays and Sundays me and my husband are around all day, we live in one of the buildings, we can always be reached on the phone or by email. I am sorry you did not see anybody but we have 3 buildings.

Best wishes.

Reviewed May 9, 2013

My family of four stayed here for two nights at the end of April when we traveling along the American East Coast. The website and photos looked very nice, but we were appalled to see discolored mold on the walls of both of the bedrooms we stayed in. Also, the mattress of the bed that my wife and I shared was hard as a rock. It sounded like a great concept, but we were very disappointed. Our kids also saw a blood stain on their toilet. I wish we had stayed elsewhere.

Date of stay: April 2013
1  Thank Bob S

Sorry about that, we got it fixed as soon as we were notified.

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Beautiful, clean room with whimsical and quirky decorating and a wonderfully historic vibe; good location (the breakfast at Morning Glory across the street itself is worth booking!); no A/C. My only complaint was the staff's borderline aggressive requirement that I set up a check-in time in advance and then their repeated calls to me on the day that I was supposed to check-in to make sure I'd still be arriving at the time I'd specified.

Room tip: The Philadelphian Suite was even more spacious than the photos on the website indicated with lots of details and charm.
Date of stay: June 2012
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed here for 1 night in the Secret Room on visit to Philadelphia. It does have a good location in an Italian neighborhood about 15 minutes walk from all the sites. There is not any parking nearby except a parking garage a few blocks away, which was $17 for 24 hours, I think. The room does have a few amenitites, such as a microwave, coffeepot and toaster, as well as a mini fridge with water, juice and milk. The breakfast is definitely strange, with pieces of bread, bagels, and muffins in zip lock bags in the hallway and a basket of fruit for everyone to help themselves. The room was by itself on the top of its own private stairway. The electricity for the room was supplied by extension cords running up the edge of the stairs. The light switch in the bathroom didn't work, there was a small dim lamp mounted on the wall supplying the only light. There was an antique dressing table in the room that I was afraid to touch because one of the side mirrors was broken and falling out, just propped up against the back. The bed was fine, and I appreciated the several types of pillows on the bed to choose from, including a contour memory foam pillow. I think the place could be very nice if they did some repairs and cleaning and provided a little bit better service for breakfast besides bread in a ziplock. The location is good and it has potential if the upkeep were better.

Date of stay: March 2013
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
2  Thank MelissaAk