“Spare yourself” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #16 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Jersey City, New Jersey
“Spare yourself”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 1, 2012

Well it had a "bed" but it was so uncomfortable that I slept on the floor. It had "breakfast" but that consisted of a 2 pieces of bread in a plastic bag left in a bowl in the hallway.

Room Tip: If you're looking for a good room, go to another hotel.
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Delilah113

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
Philadelphia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 23, 2012

I am blown away by the lack of professionalism and cruelty with which Barbara the owner of this B&B has shown towards me. I will give you the short version. My wedding happens to fall on the same weekend as a huge medical conference in Philadelphia. I learned this when I starting calling around 8 months in advance to block hotel rooms for my out of town guests. Panic set in when I realized EVERY hotel in Philadelphia was booked solid. Then I found Bellla Vista B&B. I told Barbara my woeful story And was elated when she blocked her entire 20 room in for my guests. Things were looking up. I spent $700 to rent a bus to pick up my guests at the B&B on wedding day and transport them to and from. A few months later (5 months to wedding day) Barbara calls to tell me she made a mistake, she can't give me 20 rooms only 10. When I asked why she gave me a very lame excuse about not having enough staff to turn over the rooms. I knew immediately she was reneging due to what I am guessing was dozens of calls from participants in the medical conference that hadn't yet reserved rooms elsewhere. I was angry and stressed, but held my tongue in fear she would take the ten rooms back ( our arrangement was verbal only and Barbara proved to not be a woman of her word - lesson learned) . A week later she emailed to say she miscalculated - she only has 8 rooms for me !!!! So now 2.5 months before my wedding another call from Barbara asking me if I still wanted the 8 rooms - ARE YOU KIDDING ME? She proceeded to ask me if I've checked around to other hotels outside of center city as it "would be nice if my guests were all together" . I realized right then and there this woman was trying to trick or bully me out of the 8 rooms I had left. I lost it and decided there was no way I wanted her to have my business. In the end this awful person wins - I'm sure she barely hung up with me before her inn was booked with doctors for the conference. I get it , she needs to make money like the rest of us, but I am 2.5 months out and have NOWHERE for my guests to stay . I implore you do not do business with this woman.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
9 Thank phillygir32
Lyndhurst, New Jersey
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2012

I liked the location and would stay there again but probably not in the same room. I stayed in the Moon Beam room. The floor boards were very noisy everywhere I stepped and I was hoping no one was staying below me. Other than that, a comfortable and uneventful stay. The owners were very friendly and so were the people I encountered throughout the neighborhood.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank MJD1964
Manchester, Connecticut
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 17, 2012

We stayed two nights in the Sunset Room. The hosts were very accommodating, as we booked our room the night before our arrival. The room was conveniently located on the first floor, but it was behind the Sunrise Room (with which it shares a bathroom) so street noise wasn't an issue. The room wasn't perfect, as the TV remote didn't work quite right and there were scuff marks on the walls, but it was cozy, comfortable, and clean. Breakfast wasn't great...bottled orange juice, coffee, tea, (frozen?) croissants, muffins, and bagels. However, it was plenty for us to fill up on and not need to eat until lunch. This place is in a fabulous location, literally a street away from the Italian Market. We were also able to walk to everything from here - Penn's Landing, LOVE Park, the Art Museum, Eastern State Penitentiary, Edgar Allan Poe's house, Elfreth's Alley, the Liberty Bell...the location was perfect. This place was the cheapest I could find even after using Priceline and other tools, and I'm glad we decided to stay at Bella Vista in the heart of the city rather than attempt to stay by the airport or in New Jersey. FYI: there is limited on-street parking (mostly two-hour), but there was a garage three blocks away that cost $34 for two full days (just about 48 hours exactly).

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 13, 2012

Nicest Bed and Breakfast I have ever been to! I want to make this my Valentine's Day tradition.
So relaxing and beautiful!

Room Tip: Tip Top was so romantic.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
St. Petersburg, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

This was one of our best B&B experiences. Two adjacent buildings, each with a variety of rooms in different decors. (You can view them on the Bella Vista web site) For us, just the right amount of friendliness without being cloying. One recent reviewer seems to like being doted upon and I know many love to chit-chat endlessly with other visitors. My wife and I, in fact, much appreciated not having to deal with all that, leaving us more time to enjoy ourselves in the city, without the burden of having to engage in endless pleasantries with strangers. It is in one of the most interesting neighborhoods in the city, with fabulous restaurants and shopping within a quick walk, and upscale young families mixing with longtime Italian and Irish residents. For its location, which is within walking distance of most of Center City, the price was more than reasonable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Just check the photos and room descriptions on their web site.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank americantourister7
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed the last weekend in October of 2011. I had a room named the sunrise room which shared a bath with I believe Sunset. I have to say everything was very clean. It was eclectically decorated. High ceilings. Bright and sunny. It seemed like staying in a friends extra bedroom. The shared bath also had a kitchenette area. Microwave, Coffee pot, brita water, tea crackers, cookies. a mini fridge stocked with water and milk and orange juice. It was right off the street. so the passers by can see in so shut your blinds.

In a really cute neighborhood just north of the italian market and a few blocks south of all the historical attractions. We literally ran to the Art Museum (rocky steps). About 2.8 miles away. there were many cute restaurants and gorgeous streets in the area with murals and art. You can walk to anything from this location. Parking was a little challenging. One night we were right in front. The other 2 blocks over.

The only complaints I had would be no control of the heat and security. It was snowing this weekend. In defense of the owner we never called. Also, security; there is a button code to get in the building that they tell you on day one and a key, a real key, to open the door to you room.My thought was everyone shoes ever stayed there knows that code, But my boyfriend was saying, anyone can walk into a hotel too. It just hit me in a weird way. Just passing it on if thats one of your requirements.

This city really sleeps at night the Italian market ,cool places to eat. Bing your own wine most have no liquor lisences. If you want to stay out later than 8pm (not kidding) Go to the old city. its on the eastern side. restaurants and bars everywhere. We were out passed 1am!! Apparantly Philly is notorious for 'closing up' early. Its very bizzare. But a beautiful, seemingly safe, clean cute town. Nice people. Enjoy

Room Tip: There are suites that I had wanted but waited too long.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple