“Great location & Neighborhood”

Philadelphia Bella Vista Bed and Breakfast
Ranked #16 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
St. Petersburg, Florida
“Great location & Neighborhood”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 21, 2011

This was one of our best B&B experiences. Two adjacent buildings, each with a variety of rooms in different decors. (You can view them on the Bella Vista web site) For us, just the right amount of friendliness without being cloying. One recent reviewer seems to like being doted upon and I know many love to chit-chat endlessly with other visitors. My wife and I, in fact, much appreciated not having to deal with all that, leaving us more time to enjoy ourselves in the city, without the burden of having to engage in endless pleasantries with strangers. It is in one of the most interesting neighborhoods in the city, with fabulous restaurants and shopping within a quick walk, and upscale young families mixing with longtime Italian and Irish residents. For its location, which is within walking distance of most of Center City, the price was more than reasonable. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Just check the photos and room descriptions on their web site.
1 Thank americantourister7

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (41)
New York City, New York
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2011

We stayed the last weekend in October of 2011. I had a room named the sunrise room which shared a bath with I believe Sunset. I have to say everything was very clean. It was eclectically decorated. High ceilings. Bright and sunny. It seemed like staying in a friends extra bedroom. The shared bath also had a kitchenette area. Microwave, Coffee pot, brita water, tea crackers, cookies. a mini fridge stocked with water and milk and orange juice. It was right off the street. so the passers by can see in so shut your blinds.

In a really cute neighborhood just north of the italian market and a few blocks south of all the historical attractions. We literally ran to the Art Museum (rocky steps). About 2.8 miles away. there were many cute restaurants and gorgeous streets in the area with murals and art. You can walk to anything from this location. Parking was a little challenging. One night we were right in front. The other 2 blocks over.

The only complaints I had would be no control of the heat and security. It was snowing this weekend. In defense of the owner we never called. Also, security; there is a button code to get in the building that they tell you on day one and a key, a real key, to open the door to you room.My thought was everyone shoes ever stayed there knows that code, But my boyfriend was saying, anyone can walk into a hotel too. It just hit me in a weird way. Just passing it on if thats one of your requirements.

This city really sleeps at night the Italian market ,cool places to eat. Bing your own wine most have no liquor lisences. If you want to stay out later than 8pm (not kidding) Go to the old city. its on the eastern side. restaurants and bars everywhere. We were out passed 1am!! Apparantly Philly is notorious for 'closing up' early. Its very bizzare. But a beautiful, seemingly safe, clean cute town. Nice people. Enjoy

Room Tip: There are suites that I had wanted but waited too long.
1 Thank marynicnyc
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 10, 2011

My husband and I stayed here this past weekend and I had to laugh while reading the reviews and thought I would give my 2 cents worth.
We arrived on Saturday morning and had to drive several times around quite a few blocks to find a "2 hour parking spot" that we could park in to unload our belongings. There was someone outside the building so we asked if this was the right place (there was no sign outside) and she let us check in a little early and gave us a map of the city and phone numbers if we needed help. Other than that, we never saw a person the whole time. We ended up driving our car to the parking garage which is only about 5 blocks away and leaving it there till the Sunday afternoon when we departed.
We stayed for the weekend with another couple and we stayed in the Sunrise room(good if you like to get up early becuase there is ALOT of sunlight) while they stayed in the Sunset room that was next door. Thank goodness they were our friends becuase I cannot imagine sharing the bathroom with total strangers because you had to lock the door to our room every time so it would not come open to the common area and you could hear every sound coming from the bathroom. The shower (which is a stand-up shower) had a few big bottles of shampoo, conditioner,.. in it but the body wash was totally gone so no cute little travel items that you would usually find at a B&B. I was very pleased that the water was nice and hot though and did not run out after 4 showers in a row.
We shared a little space outside the bathroom that had a small fridge which had a few bottles of water, 2 bottles of milk and OJ for the morning and a few glasses and plates and a microwave and a toaster plus a few snacks (popcorn, biscotti) and a cabinet with dry cereal. The breakfast was a few banans, oranges and apples placed in a bowl the afternoon before outside the rooms plus a few pre-wrapped pastries and bagels in baggies that were shared by all.
The bed was very firm and it creaked alot and it also banged against the wall so I would definitely not recommend this room if it is your honey-moon or if you want a romantic get-away.
With all that said, the location was awesome and really for the amount of money I find it hard to complain too much. You definitely get what you pay for so if you want a clean place to rest your head for the night this place is perfect. It is a short safe walk to a few parks, the Whole Foods store, the Italian Market, a cute little coffee house and Geno's and Pat's. A cab ride to a few awesome pubs is only around $5.00 and not too far to walk home safely at the end of the night. Have fun in Philly!

1 Thank Kelly F
Pocomoke City, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 22, 2011

This was our first time staying at a B&B and it was even better than we expected. We came to Philly to move my sister to college and wanted to stay for the weekend to do some sight seeing. Our weekend was packed with activities and this was the perfect place to come home to in the evening after a long day.
We stayed in the Summer Breeze room. The beds were soft and comfy, the breakfast was good. The homemade sweets were delicious. The room was quiet and clean and the decor was beautiful.
It stormed both nights but there was a window high door, perfect for watching the thunderstorm. The location was great, just a short walk from the italian market (you must eat at Villa di Roma.)
We did not have trouble finding free parking close by.
There was a visitors guide in the room and a notebook of all the places to eat and things to see. There is a garden, but we did not have the chance to enjoy it.
We can't wait to come back!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Lake Worth, Florida
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2011

I was traveling alone, sightseeing all day and then coming back at night. I always felt safe, even when I had to walk from 4 blocks away at midnight from my parking spot. Parking is horrendous. The location is wonderful - close enough to walk to the city and the subway. The neighborhood is very quaint and the decor in the house is charming. I was concerned with the building's wiring when I saw one of those florescent orange heavy-duty extension cords stapled to the baseboards, snaking up 2 floors. I was on the top floor - 3 1/2 flights up. My room was tiny but attractive. I had a small TV w/ cable remote but no TV remote, so I couldn't turn the TV off from the bed. I never saw the owners and I was there each morning until 10 AM. My A/C was wonderfully cool and the room was very clean. The college kid they had managing things was very nice yet I'm not sure he had good instructions from the owners regarding hospitality. The toilet broke the first night and it never worked again. I got tired of complaining so I just flushed it by filling the trash can from the tub and flushing with forced water. There was no coffee when I got up the 1st morning and the kid said they were out ....... I had it by the next morning. My 2 cereal bowls, dirty utensils and old coffee sat there all day and night for 2 days - was still sitting there when I left. I'm thinking 3 floors up was too far for the kid to come take care of the broken toilet, a few dirty dishes and wash the coffee pot. The humorous highlight of my stay was the picture I took of the *breakfast bowl* located in the foyer. I show it to everyone who wants to know about my B and B experience: 2 nearly black bananas, 4 apples, one plain bagel in a ziploc and a commercially wrapped danish. Really unappetizing. One morning the bowl was empty. The kid was in the shower and told me to come in the office and help myself to whatever I wanted. It looked like SAM'S Club in there. They will never run out of danish.

This B and B was literally the least expensive one I could find in the city. It has charm and is in a perfect location. I think if the owners trained their staff a bit and made some sort of deal with the owner of the diner down the street for a free coffee and muffin each day, this place would deserve more stars. As it was, I got what I paid for.....plus a little more.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $20 a night to get a bigger room
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank sueconn54
New York City, New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 4, 2011

There are some things that they don't tell you in the down loadable "brochure" nor on the website. The first is about parking and traffic. When we arrived, we dropped off all our stuff in our room, and then went back outside to park. We ended up driving all around a city we did not know, and after 45 minutes, we found a space eight and some blacks from the B & B. But even that space was only temporary, with me or my wife having to go find a new space every few hours not to get a ticket.

One of the couple who runs the B & B told us that he had a parking sticker that we could use so we could leave the car in one place. Then we could never find him again. Nor did he answer our calls.

The parking sticker was as scarce as the fresh fruit (fresh fruit here was one thing: bananas) or clean towels or clean bath room.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled as a couple
9 Thank eminem4142
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2011

I stayed here for 4 nights in the week prior to Easter 2011. I had never been to Philadelphia and was unsure what to expect and which location to base myself. I was looking for something that was cheapish but nice.
In the event, I was very satisfied here. The location was excellent in that it was very atmospheric of the city and walkable to most places - my proviso assumes you don't mind walking 20 - 30 minutes. I don't, so it was perfect for me - not too close, yet not too far. In walking to and fro I felt I got to know the city better. I even managed to walk with luggage to the bus station - not as big an issue as one might think.
The facilities were good - the bedroom was large and very comfortable. The bathroom was shared with one other room, but there was no problem using it whenever I wanted and it was just outside the bedroom door. Apart from arrival, there was no interaction with the owners or staff. This didn't concern me. The breakfast arrangements consisted of self serve from a selection of items left on the floor landing... cereals, bread, milk, coffee etc. This was not lavish, but OK. In addition, on the ground floor there was a table stocked with fruit and pastries available for the guests to eat at any time. When travelling on a budget, that was much appreciated.
The breakfast might not satisfy every one but there are cafes nearby where it's possible to buy something more substantial plus you can use the fridge on the landing to store your own stuff if you want. I'd happily stay here again.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo