“Excellent Mex in a good location.”
Review of Xochitl

Xochitl
Reserve with OpenTable
Xochitl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #717 of 4,522 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Pine Street
Description: Xochitl serves traditional Mexican fare with a modern twist in a fun and comfortable setting. Enjoy fresh made guacamole, antojitos, ceviches, and platos fuertes. Two full service bars feature hand-squeezed margaritas and fresh specialty cocktails. Our extensive tequila list features over 70 bottles.
Reviewed June 27, 2013

Good Margaritas, custom made with fresh squeezed limes by Kate, who was a fantastic bartender. We ended up eating at the bar since she told us the midweek special was the Molcajete Special-make your own tacos with a great selection of ingredients. Also great, customizable quacamole ordered from a checklist of available options. Loved it.

1  Thank PaulSnood

Reviewed June 8, 2013

We walked in when they just closed down the place. After begging for few minutes, they decided to open the bar for a quick shot. If I had another night to stay in town, I would have enjoyed a full night at this cozy, friendly and full of tequila place!

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Yes yes, I know they call it a Tequila bar, but the food is pretty darn good. The guac, especially the spicy, is really good, and for $9 it better be. The portion is the size of a softball, so they do give you a decent amount. Everyone seemed satisfied with their meal, I got the seared salmon which was really really good. Whatever that sauce was...I will come back for that plate again. Service was so-so, it took about 30 minutes to get a glass of wine after I ordered it. Also, the waiter gave us different wine than what we had ordered, or charged it completely differently and tacked on $2. Since it was a group, we didn't realize until after, so really my mistake. All in all, I would return and recommend.

Reviewed May 23, 2013 via mobile

Besides the initial problem of them trying to seat us in the basement where it was damp and warm, it was amazing. The margaritas are really good but pricey. Two margaritas at the bar while we waited for a table upstairs coat $28.00 before tip. They make the guacamole to order and there's a checklist to add other ingredients. It's delicious. The food is very authentic and so was the dessert we got. Service was excellent. Two people two drinks each, guacamole, two meals, one dessert roughly $100 plus tip I think give or take. I'd definitely go back. Place isn't very big and we found street parking on a Saturday at 7.

1  Thank denjolu
Reviewed April 30, 2013

It was after 10PM by the time we arrived at Xochitl. Upon entry, we waited for a couple minutes, but we didn't see the hostess. I flagged down a waiter who was busily moving about with dishes bound for a table downstairs. He informed us that they didn't have a hostess at that hour, but would get us seated shortly. And indeed he did.

We've been to Xochitl a couple times before. We had previously returned because it had the best chicken torta in the city, but then that item fell off the menu, no where to be found. The revamped menu was OK, but not good enough to go all the way out east just for it. Since we were nearby that night and hungry, we dropped by to give it another chance. I'm glad we did.

We had the make-your-own guac with Spanish onions, roasted tomatoes, cojito, truffle oil, and a pepper whose name I can't remember. I thought this was so-so and was missing a little bit of something. But, this wasn't the restaurant's fault since it was us who picked the ingredients. Shame on us.

We split the Pollo Frito - a half chicken that was brined for 24 hours, steamed, fried, and drizzled with sweet chile sauce. It was paired with corn bread and spinach in a chile cream. The chicken was fried perfectly, with the sweet chile sauce serving as a good contrast to the spicier chile cream of the spinach. Definitely a repeat to be had.

We also had the fish tacos - achiote lime marinated walu fish layered with mexican slaw and wrapped in house made tortillas. I'm not normally a fan of fish tacos as the flavors are often more bland. The flavors of these tacos weren't bland, but just more subtle. Another repeat to be had.

The only big service miss was that our guac came out late because there was confusion in the kitchen regarding whether we already got it or not (we didn't).

Overall, a nice comeback Xochitl.