“On the fence.”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Xochitl

Xochitl
Reserve with OpenTable
Xochitl is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #897 of 4,339 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Mexican, Latin, Spanish, South American, Central American
Good for: Romantic, Bar scene, Business meetings
Dining style: Casual Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Pine Street
Description: Xochitl serves traditional Mexican fare with a modern twist in a fun and comfortable setting. Enjoy fresh made guacamole, antojitos, ceviches, and platos fuertes. Two full service bars feature hand-squeezed margaritas and fresh specialty cocktails. Our extensive tequila list features over 70 bottles.
Audubon, New Jersey
“On the fence.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2013

I undestand its restaurant week so the place is booked. Plus our fault we got there late. Don't get me started on their policies. Luckily we got seated upon arrival. A little put off by the fact I could not get seated until my whole party of two was present. If my friend was not there within 10 mintues we would lose our reservation. Oh my i felt like i could hear the mission impossible song in my head. Ok if I was a party of 6 I understand but I was just waiting for my friend to Park the car. If I was alone I would have the same table. Being restaurant week you order everything at once. I was telling my friend that I have had experiences in the past during
this week where restaurants seem to rush you. Well here we go. Before we had a chance to enjoy our guacamole the second course came. Then before we could finish that our meal came. What really bothers me is that the tables to either side of us did not appear to get the same rush. Yet the one table of 5 then 6 then 7(feel bad for the waiter because they where really pushing it and the policies I had to deal with did not seem to apply to them. Well maybe to the point the manager had to say no to their request to take up anther table for someone else to join them. That still shocks me that these people had the nerve to ask this.)Then we got a break. Food was fine if we were not rushed i might think higher. The main course OK. Plus way to much cilantro. Also don't wear heels to this place. Not their fault it's Philly but you got some stairs to deal with if your seated downstairs.

Visited February 2013

Philadelphia, PA
“Delicious food and drink”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 30, 2013

A few friends and I decided to take advantage of Philly's Restaurant Week, and only booked Xochitl because they had some last-minute availability on OpenTable and the menu included a vegetarian option for someone in our group. I've had a couple disappointing experiences trying a restaurant blindly during Restaurant Week, but I was pleasantly surprised by Xochitl. The restaurant is tucked into a building that fronts Headhouse Square in Society Hill, and the atmosphere is warm and comfortable.

The restaurant has an extensive selection of tequilas, plus a menu of a half-dozen margaritas priced at $9 and up. I tried the $13 "Perfect Margarita" and it lived up to its name.

We were invited to customize the guacamole for the table. A card provided listed the options, and we checked off our choices -- e.g., roasted garlic, tomato, jalapenos, etc. A few special ingredients were optional for one or two dollars each (e.g., cashews or goat cheese). The guacamole was fresh and delicious.

One drawback with the menu -- they were out of the braised short rib, which would have been my entree choice. But we were satisfied with our choices. I had the angus flat iron steak. The steak could have been seasoned a little more, but the accompanying potatoes were excellent. Two others had the pollo relleno, and our vegetarian was served a very impressive and hearty roasted vegetable sope -- a masa cake filled with roasted vegetables and cheese.

And the chocolate tres leche cake for dessert was an incredible ending to the meal.

The service was very friendly, if a little on the slower side. But on the flip side, we didn't feel rushed and we all agreed it was worth a future visit.

• Visited January 2013
“A must if in Philly!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 6, 2013 via mobile

Best homemade margaritas in the city! Unbelievable guacamole- create your own! Food here is to die for. The Decor is laid back, dark, romantic!

New York City, New York
“Attentive service but food was eh”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Wanted Mexican food for dinner in Society Hill. Booked on Open Table-due to good reviews. We were the only people there for dinner at 7:00 pm. Thus, service was excellent. you can choose how you wish the guacamole to be made. unique I thought!
It was delicious but the rest of the meal was so below average. Pity because it is a charming little place.

Elmhurst, New York
“Great for drinks, guac”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 1, 2012

They make a chicken dish that is the best I've ever eaten, a bit pricy at $45 for a whole one, but worth it.

Visited February 2012