“A wonderful restaurant with a low profile”
Review of Southwark

Southwark
Reserve with OpenTable
Southwark is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #710 of 4,509 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: French
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed June 30, 2014

Have been there many times.
Always great food - interesting and delicious.
Always great service - attentive without being intrusive.
Nice setting with beautiful garden seating and the staff is great about letting you sit outdoors even if the weather is not perfect.

Reviewed June 25, 2014

We just had another wonderful meal at Southwark. The cocktails, wine, and beer here are terrific, and the food is consistently delicious and beautifully prepared. The staff is friendly, welcoming, and knowledgeable. Whether you're a local or a visitor, Southwark should be on your list of favorites.

Reviewed January 12, 2014

Aside from great food and very good service, it was such a pleasure to be in a restaurant in which the noise was not overwhelming. I am soooooo tired of Starr restaurants where the noise is DEAFENING!
Anyway about this place. The service was attentive without being overbearing or cutesy. The timing was perfect, and the waiter was knowledgeable. The wine list small but well chosen.
I had the liver with carmelized onions which was absolutely perfect and my husband had the pork chop which he says was tender and very flavorful. He also had something called Scotch eggs which he liked to well he refused to share with me, even when I offered him some of my salad. All in all a very nice evening in which we could eat and relax without being bombarded by noise levels that are headache inducing.

Reviewed April 25, 2013 via mobile

Delicious, fresh food and great Bloody Mary! Turnip and black bean soup purée amazing with whole grains mix and a drizzle. Trout filet w salad incl watermelon radish lightly marinated. Many tempting items from bar and menu

Reviewed March 8, 2013

Went out with a friend last night for some nice drinks and a few bites to eat. Heard a lot of good buzz about this place and both my friend and I enjoy a nice drink well made. The drinks were good here and out server was very nice and accommodating.

However, I have two complaints, the food and the attitude of the bar tender.

1. The food we ordered was not that good. We ordered a mixed Charcuterie plate, escargots, and roasted potatoes.

The charcuterie plate looked like the apprentice in the kitchen threw it together. There was a pate of sorts and three very small and thin sliced pieces of salami for the meat. The cheese was OK.

Before I ordered the roasted potatoes I asked if they were crispy and I was told that they were. When they came out they were large and soft (not a crisp on any of them). They did taste very good, but this was not what we anticipated at all.

The escargot had no flavor at all! Nothing else needs to be said.

Finally, when I approached the bartender to ask for a suggestion of straight rye, he was very proud to tell me that Southwark has the biggest selections of rye by the glass in the country. When I asked to explain the differences between some of them his response was a cold "this will take longer than 15 minutes" and he did not explain. So I asked him his favorite and ordered it. I would understand this response, if this place was packed, But the bar was about 20% full of people when I asked.

Overall, not a great experience so we left after 2 drinks.