“Authentic gelato, worth the splurge!”
Review of Capogiro Gelateria

Capogiro Gelateria
Ranked #6 of 93 Dessert in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian, Fast Food
Good for: Families with children
Dining options: Late Night
Neighborhood: City Center East
Reviewed July 1, 2013

It's true, Capogiro is very authentic [Italian founders] AND has some very unique flavors! They offer a sample of as many as you'd like until you hit the one that's to-die-for! I found it in a mix of the dark chocolate and Thai coconut milk! [However after tasting my husband's lemon sorbetto, it ALMOST made me wish I had gotten that one!] I love that they use fresh LOCAL ingredients and hormone-free, grass-fed organic milk! They prepare the gelato from scratch and in small batches and it's worth every cent! Yes it's a splurge, but I was glad for the experience! [However after reading their daily flavors day after day it could be come a habit!] I am thankful the owners stuck to their principles and have created this wholesome authentic treat! I wish I lived close!

There are newer reviews for Capogiro Gelateria

Reviewed June 26, 2013

Ok, I am not really an ice cream/gelato person. I am a cookie girl all the way. But the servers were so friendly and the flavors so interesting, that I joined my family in trying the gelato. I was not disappointed. I had the small cup with 2 flavors, which was more than plenty. I had the dark chocolate and the coconut and mixed together, they were out of this world. We had the chance to try 8 flavors between the 4 of us and had a difficult time deciding who had the best. Capogiro was definitely a highlight of our vacation.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I had a hankering for the dark chocolate (chocolate scuro) which I ususally get about once a year when in Philadelphia. Alas, it was not ready. So I "settled" for the burnt sugar flavor. WOW. I did think a small cup with burnt sugar and dark chocolate would have been even better. There are 3 locations in Philadelphia and one can order onlien for a "fix" minimum 6 pints $60. I haven't done that for myself yet. Thought of doing it for husband. Of course, gelato is not cheap so a small was about $5.13. There is a less expensive and frankly less good fro yo place just a little south on 13th St. from this one. I think I heard of this firs twhen Oprah declared it one of her "bests" and who am I to argue with Oprah? I think it is on a par with some of the best in NYC-Amorino. For sorbets, I like Il Laboratorio. And Wash DC has one to two contenders.

Reviewed June 22, 2013

Capogiro's flavors are inventive (cucumber, Mexican chocolate with chili, strawberry and balsamic) and varied so that every time you go there are new tastes to experience. It's really a sensual delight. The servers are generally very friendly and accommodating. It's only a drag when it gets too crowded, which is completely understandable. Who wouldn't want their best-in-the-world gelato? (And I write this having traveled a lot in Italy recently.) Great for families.

Reviewed June 15, 2013

I've been to Capogiro at least four times, and to 2 different branches. I keep thinking that my underwhelming experiences are flukes, but maybe they aren't.

The variety of gelato is great. However, the gelato is too icy in texture. Gelato is supposed to have less air and a heavier density than ice cream, and there's just something insubstantial and unfulfilling about the texture and consistency. Combine that with the high prices and tiny portions, and it becomes just an OK experience.