“Great vegetarian”

Charlie Was a Sinner
Reserve with OpenTable
Charlie Was a Sinner is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #63 of 4,443 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed August 11, 2014

I was not sure what to expect - I had never heard of this restaurant, but I had high hopes.

It lived up to it and beyond. They still have some "start-up" problems like the drinks took a bit long to come out, but the food was fantastic. I will go back here no questions asked. The atmosphere was a bit hipster, but I got over it quickly once I took a bite of their food.

I will be taking people here. I suggest going for a nice night out.

Reviewed August 10, 2014

We came by on a busy Friday night and even though the bar area was packed the service was impeccable. Drinks and food were delivered fast and delicious. A great new restaurant on the vegan scene. Go for happy hour for great deals!

Reviewed July 22, 2014

I've been here for lunch on two occasions and found it excellent. I was surprised both times by the lack of customers and suspect the mystery around the name and the heavily curtained entrance might deter the traditional business luncher. The drinks are really well thought out. The food is mostly tapas style, which I'm starting to tire of - when I'm on a business lunch with a co-worker, I don't want to share or coordinate my food with them. That said, most of the food I've tried was excellent. We did get one dish that was far overcooked, but when we complained, a new, perfectly cooked version was brought and the item was taken off of the bill. Rush to this place to give it a try before they decide to stop serving lunch or before other people find it. I can't speak for the dinner hour.

Reviewed July 13, 2014

Pros: Cool environment, good happy hour specials, attentive bartenders, good location.
Cons: Terrible for groups, loud music (had to scream at each other all night), pricey regularly priced drinks, tiny menu, slow table service.

We were invited here for a business dinner and no where did it indicate that it is a vegan restaurant. The menu at the restaurant and on the website advertise meatballs and hot dogs without showing their meatless status. The chick pea sticks were extremely processed and hard to chew, the meatballs were overly spiced to hide the flavor, ricotta appetizer was overwhelmingly flavored with lemon curd, and the fried potato balls were absolutely delicious. There didn't seem to be enough food here to absorb the "strong drinks," so we went to Wendy's for "dessert"!

Reviewed June 18, 2014

In sum, I would have liked to see a little bit more substance behind the stylish facade. Maybe I've been spoiled by Vedge. Maybe a comparison between the two is not fair. Maybe I set the bar just a little too high in my mind. Overall, everything here was good. The drinks--which our group sampled from both the cocktail and mocktail menu--were pretty good. One person complained that the bartender was a little heavy on the ginger. The food--which consists of mainly small plates on the menu--was mostly deep fried. While there were some standouts--particularly the chickpea fries and the "crab" cakes, overall it was just a veggie take on your basic bar food. My group ordered a number of things to share, but not everything was shareable. It would have been nice if our sever had made that clear as we were placing our order. That said, our server was extremely friendly.