“One of Philadelphia's Best”
Review of Townsend

Townsend
Reserve with OpenTable
Townsend is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #119 of 4,611 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, French
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed July 20, 2014

We have eaten at dozens of Philadelphia restaurants over the past year and this is one of our top choices. The dishes are creatively prepared with fresh ingredients, service very attentive. Relaxed row house environment with more outside light than is typically found in a Philly row house. Cocktail, wine, and beer selection is also a plus.

Reviewed July 16, 2014

The restaurant is in a charming townhouse and we loved the ambiance. We choose it because we were in the mood for French food.
Out server was very pleasant and gave us great service.The bar had a great selection and the cocktails we ordered were very tasty. As they were out of gernadine(for shirley temple), they created special mocktail for my 15 yr old, who was thrilled because she got her own grownup drink. We ordered beef marrow tartare, the Foie gras mousse and the black bass as appetizers. They were all amazing. But have to say the bass and the tartare were the stand outs for us. I had the hamachi(which was an appetizer)i as my entree, my daughter had the gnocchi special and my husband had the rabbit. The gnocchi was an outstanding soft pillow of yummyness. Felt like lots of fresh garlic in the sauce. The rabbit was really good too.Both dishes had the common component of an outstanding sauce. We ordered the chocolate mousse, which was overkill after all the food, so couldn't eat it. For people who want something differnat, you can go next door to cap giro for some gelato.
We went expecting traditional french food and it was anything but. I felt that it was a more refined version of rustic Italian cooking that we enjoyed in Tuscany. Bottom line , great well run establishment.

Reviewed June 24, 2014

Start at the bar and get a specialty cocktail. This is mixology at its finest! Try the Turf Cocktail (Plymouth gin, dry vermouth, maraschino, absinthe, orange bitters) -- it's breathtaking! Pimms Cup (pimms, beefeater, lemon, soda) also was very tempting. That concludes the drinking portion of the evening (well, at least the hard liquor drinking).

I began the eating portion with the Escargot and fiddleheads, which was a specialty of the evening and it was magnificent. I sampled the Foie Gras Mousse. Good Lord! It was like candy for adults! They also served that night a special appetizer, which was also done as an entree -- Gnoochi alla matriciana. My wife and her sister shared this as an appetizer, and my BIL had it for his entree.

For my entree, I had the Roasted Organic Chicken with leg galantine, speck, morels in Madeira jus, with a spot on recommendation of Rhone to go with it -- fantastic! The other members enjoyed the Gnoochi, Rabbit Pot-au-feu, Icelandic Cod, Wild Striped Bass. I sampled the Rabbit -- excellent! and the Gnoochi -- Wow! But still, the Orgasmic (I mean Organic!) Chicken was unbelievably delicious.

Although the Chocolate Souffle was tempting, I settled on the Cheese Plate to end the meal for which the sommelier recommended an Amontillado Sherry to go with it, and it floored me! This was two weeks ago, and I'm still thinking about it!

1  Thank George P
Reviewed June 21, 2014

Walked by and read the menu..the chef came out and spoke with us so we decided to go in. We sat at the bar and shared 2 specials. We had the gnocchi with chanterelles ant the escargot with fiddle head ferns...well well prepared and delicious. Creative fresh ingredients and pleasant service. Would wholeheartedly recommend.

Reviewed May 16, 2014

Only opened 2 weeks, Townsend is an amazing addition to Philadelphia's wealth of great restaurants. Seriously, book a table now & enjoy a wonderful meal in a comfortable, minimalist setting with authentic charm.

We started with 3 great cocktails including a perfect martini, a beautifully balanced drink called Hustlers Ambition & a great version of a Pimms Cup. The small wine list by the glass is filled with excellent selections and they also offer two wines on tap as well as good beer offerings.

Service was warm, friendly and competent, our server was delightful and explained the menu thoroughly. It's a real benefit in any dining experience to have trained staff, well versed in the menu, food preparation and wines. Kudos to management for taking the time to hire good people and set high standards of service.

To begin, we had a warm spring vegetable salad of ramps, fiddlehead ferns, english peas, artichokes and lardons. This is a simple fresh start to a meal & I cannot recommend it enough. The kitchen also accommodated our vegetarian companion's request to omit the lardons from her plate.

For entrees we had a roasted organic chicken with morels & speck, a light moist seared cod served with brandade and english peas, & a platter of fresh mixed vegetables. Dessert included a dense rich chocolate souffle, an amazing strawberry rhubarb pavlova & one of the most beautifully composed fruit plates I have ever seen. Portions were large for dessert & could easily be shared by two.

Things to know: There are 2 dining rooms, one on the second floor. If a steep staircase is too much for you advise the staff when making your reservation so you can be seated on the first floor.

1  Thank pookala