“Perfect fit for my business trip”

AKA Rittenhouse Square
Ranked #57 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed December 27, 2010

I had a Studio Suite which included a kitchen/bed/bathroom. The location in downtown Philadelphia across from Rittenhouse Square is excellent. I love everything about this area of town and am very comfortable staying near the square because of the availability of restaurants, transportation and shopping.

The Studio Suite isn't going to please everyone, but it suited me perfect for a four-day business trip. I particularly liked the granite island for spreading my work out. It was so much better than the desks that other hotels provide.

There wasn't much room in the suite, but the bed was large and very comfortable and the kitchen had everything I could have needed. It's great to be able to keep food/drink in the room and not have to always depend on restaurants. There are plenty of options for grocery, wine, beer within a few blocks of the hotel.

Noise - I was on the 7th floor facing 18th street. There were five windows in my suite and noise was never an issue for me.

The bathroom was tiny....really tiny. This wasn't a problem for me, but I guarantee it wouldn't have worked for my wife. However, it had great fixtures and marble tile everywhere. The shower stall had more room than the sink area and I prefer the stall to a tub/shower combination.

They also had me hooked as soon as I saw the Rowenta iron in the closet. It's much nicer than any other iron I've had in my travels.

I arrived at the hotel around 11:30 pm and asked the gentleman at the desk if he could recommend a place to grab a quick bite to eat. He was so helpful and gave me lots of options. I wound up 2 blocks to the west at the Irish Pub and was able to get something to go before they shut the kitchen down. I have always been very comfortable in this neighborhood and wouldn't think twice about walking around late at night.

If I could change one thing about my room, it would be to paint it. Since it's a converted building, the rooms have high ceilings, and my room was painted white. The granite in the kitchen and the cabinets could use a warmer color to close up the room a bit. White in December kept me going to the thermostat to turn up the heat!

And.....Apple I-macs in the business center!

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed December 15, 2010

Perfectly located right on Rittenhouse Square these apartments are close to everything. Superbly fitted out kitchen, elegant furnishings, and super helpful satff at the front desk who will do anything to assist - all with a smile.
Would happily recommend for short or longer term stay - we stayed 5 weeks on a business assigment and were sorry to have to leave!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled on business
1  Thank travellingchef
Reviewed November 30, 2010

can't go wrong with this one - clean hotel, great service, great location!

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank hajralak
Reviewed November 27, 2010

I stayed in a 1 bdrm suite for 2 nights. The room itself was great. Very spacious and included a good sized kitchen. The bed gave me a great sleep, and actually all the furniture was comfortable (I almost fell asleep on the couch!). The only thing I can criticize is the lobby. Very dark and bare and the fluorescent pink light in the (slow) elevator didn't add anything positive. However the lobby is in stark contrast to the actual room, which was both cozy and professional.
Location is right in front of Rittenhouse square so is a great starting point for walking around the city. Lots to do and see nearby. Its only about a 5-10 minute cab ride to University city and was told its walkable in about 20-25 minutes.
No pool or fitness center (but the in-room brochure said you can get in-house massages from a nearby spa). No restaurant but they have coffee/tea service on the 2nd floor and room-service is available (comes from a nearby restaurant according to the brochure). There are many restaurants in the area though. Free highspeed wireless internet.
The staff were very friendly and professional and were helpful in suggesting places to visit.
A little pricy, but well worth it, especially when you need a solid place to stay.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed June 25, 2010

We have stayed at this hotel twice and will likely stay here again. The accomodations are great. We book the two bedroom suite. It is in a great location and has nice views of Rittenhouse Park. The room (actually rooms) is clean, modern and comfortable. The staff is friendly and helpful. This year, like last year, our only complaint was the street noise, which even for a hotel in a city seems a bit too loud.

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 22, 2010

The Aka Hotel was booked by us having seen the reviews on here and I have to say that we were not disappointed. The rooms were great, the mini offices with 2 new macs were great and so too was the free coffee and hot chocolate. The maids were friendly and helpful. We loved it!

Reviewed April 27, 2010

If you're headed to Philadelphia, you won't regret staying at the AKA. There's so much to like here: a beautiful building, a perfect location (across the street from Rittenhouse Square, adjacent to shopping on Walnut Street, a short walk from anywhere in Center City, close to public transit), a wonderful staff and suites that are big enough to sublet.

Two things really stand out to me about this hotel. First, it's discreet — none of the hustle and haggle you'll find at a typical big-city hotel. That makes the AKA feel like home, and it's always comfortable to come back here after a day working or sightseeing. Second, the staff really is great: Everyone will bend over backward to make sure your visit is perfect, which is something you can't say about most hotels.

I could go on, but: Just stay here. You won't regret it.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled on business