“A nice 2 months stay! :)”

Ranked #60 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed May 2, 2014

My wife and I traveled to US for a business trip and the long leg of the trip was in Philly.
We stayed here for exactly 60 days and I think that the place is really wonderful and the facilities are adequate.
- Due to the length of stay we got an upgrade and a discount
- Our room had a 1 bedroom, 1 living area, 1 office area
- The TV in the living room was the best, I think it was either a 60in or a 72in with full digital cable/on demand. There was 3 TVs in the room, I don't really understand why it has so much TV.
- They have laundry area (free but bring your own detergent)
- Staff was good (most of them)
- Location was the best, since I had a lot of time in Philly I went to a lot of places and there is no location better that this area
- They have a small gym, but you can access the Bellevue gym too
- Fully equipped kitchen (better than we have at home)
- Shake shack was 2 blocks away. You can get your burger in 10mins (unlike NYC which will take 1 hour to forever)

Some things I didn't really like:
- There is this 1 unfriendly, unhelpful, uneverything staff
- No hotel parking (overnight parking around the area costs a small fortune)

Some of my tips in Philly:
- Don't be bothered by the homeless people around, they are actually quite nice and funny. We just give them our excess food and they are more than thankful. We traveled across 7 states and this place has the 'nicest' homeless people around. San Fran has the worst.
- 1hr drive away you will find a ski resort in Allentown.
- There is a self service Hertz rental 2 blocks away which is awesome.
- Reading Terminal market has the best food in Philly. Around 8 blocks away I think.
- Don't bring your wife to King of Prussia (1 bus ride away) if you are not ready for shopping

Room Tip: 4th floor up if you dont line the street noise 3rd floor down if you like to use the stairs instead...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank ralphralph910
managementakars, General Manager at AKA Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded May 19, 2014

ralphralph910,
Thank you for your feedback on your recent stay at AKA Rittenhouse Square. I'm glad to hear that you enjoyed your experience over the 2 months with us. It's nice to hear that you had an opportunity to take advantage of some of our unique features such as the in-suite fully equipped kitchens and partnership with the expansive off-site fitness facility, and our convenient location within the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood. Thank you for providing such detail for future potential residents.

Reviewed April 19, 2014

The location ever... In the Rittenhouse. SQR , 28th with Walnut. The aka.kitchen and also a.Bar. A very nice oozy place with excellent staff all around you. Can't say more. It's the place to live and love, and be loved.

Room Tip: I am staying in a two bedrooms suit or apartment and I like very much, they have a studio type also...
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends

Abdul W,
Thank you for sharing your experience at AKA Rittenhouse Square. We do indeed have an ideal location, and am very pleased to see that you also enjoyed your accommodation in addition to our very talented service team. We appreciate you providing feedback and look forward to an opportunity to host you again.

Reviewed January 14, 2014

We have now stayed at AKA in Philadelphia twice for a week at a time. We were there because our daughter had recently had a baby and needed our help. The 1 bedroom suite with full kitchen was beautiful and had everything we needed. The staff was amazing especially Brittany the Guest Services Manager. The location is superb with several great markets and restaurants near by. The AKA restaurant and bar are equally excellent. On our second trip there they upgraded us to a very large one bedroom suite which was awesome because we were babysitting our Grandson and this way we had plenty of room for all the "baby gear". I can't say enough good things about this hotel and it's staff. We will definitely be staying here again!

Room Tip: Rooms on the lower levels can be noisy on weekend nights.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank kathleen r
managementakars, General Manager at AKA Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 15, 2014

kathleen r,
Thank you so very much for taking the time to share your experience on Trip Advisor. I'm am very happy to see that you enjoyed your stay with us and hope that your new grandson was equally impressed! Congratulations to you and your family. We look forward to the opportunity to host you again soon as I'm sure you'll be eager to return to visit your newest family member.

Reviewed December 2, 2013

I stayed in a two bedroom suite, and was fortunate enough to have extended family covering my week long stay here. Of course, when I am not paying, there is hardly room for complaint. However, for those of you who will be paying full price and are wondering whether it is worth it or not, here is my honest opinion - it depends.

AKA has a lot of great things that make it worth staying. The location is worth the price if you want to be close to the shopping district and beautiful Rittenhouse Square Park. There are plenty of shops and cafes within walking distance of AKA. However, historic spots like the Liberty Bell and Reading Market are a bit far (15-20 minute walk) so if you are visiting during the cold winter weather or are traveling with a large group, it is not so convenient. You are better off staying closer to the historic area.

Service was top notch during our stay, the concierge always friendly and accommodated our many requests during our stay. They always had an extra umbrella for us on hand when it was raining and were helpful in figuring out logistics such as where to park our car. In the end, we parked in a garage around the corner in a tiny alley for about $20 a day, with in and out privileges. The garage was not all that convenient and I would not have been comfortable walking there alone. Even though you can call the concierge to prepare your car for you ahead of time, there were several mix-ups, and on one occasion it took twenty minutes to "find" my car. I often found myself wishing we had just taken one of the many cabs zipping by.

The suite was beautiful and spacious. Plenty of room and comfortable seating for four people or a large group. The rooms were tastefully decorated, with modern upgrades and the kitchen was fully equipped with appliances. The beds were comfortable, slightly on the firm side. Everything was very clean. The bathroom was beautiful, despite the awkwardly tall tub which would not be recommended for children or elderly.

As I said in the title, AKA has some definite room for improvement. The building is plagued by problems you would find in most older buildings. First, the elevator is painfully slow and there is only one elevator for the entire hotel. After a day or two, it began to affect our stay because it is so painfully inconvenient. Coming back to the hotel after a long tiring day, and having to wait another ten or fifteen minutes for the elevator was agonizing. The age of the building began to show during our stay as soon as we settled in for some sleep. The noise level from people shouting and cars honking on the streets was almost unbearable, despite our room being up several stories. The bars nearby added to the noise, as several loud groups walked by throughout the night.

While it may be difficult to quickly add another elevator (although much recommended) and sound proofing, one major issue that astonished me was the lack of curtains. None of the windows had curtains, so each room that faced the street had a cold draft, and the heating was uneven throughout our stay - cold one hour, then too hot the next. The sunlight and street lights came right into the bedroom due to the lack of curtains, so we also had trouble sleeping throughout the night.

Would I stay again? Yes, but only if it were with a large group such as family. The location was convenient, rooms were spacious, and service cordial. If it were a business, solo or couples trip, I would look elsewhere because I found it impossible to get a solid night's rest throughout our stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank TravelingHSP
managementakars, Manager at AKA Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded January 13, 2014

Dear diyTripper,
Thank you for sharing your recent experience with Trip Advisor. I'm glad to see that you enjoyed many aspects of your week-long stay at AKA Rittenhouse Square. I always enjoy hearing praises of our #1 asset at AKA, our team members. Additionally, I appreciate your feeback about areas of opportunity, as we use this feedback to assist in ultimately making decisions on property/partnership improvements. I do hope we have the opporutnity to host you again in the future.

Reviewed October 6, 2013 via mobile

I stayed here for two nights midweek 17th September. The staff at check in & throughout the stay we're incredibly courteous. We enjoyed an evening in the bar, again service very good. The location is fantastic. I can highly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: September 2013
managementakars, General Manager at AKA Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded October 28, 2013

Getmedown,
Thank you for sharing your experience via Trip Advisor. I'm glad to hear that the team took great care of your needs. We're very excited about our newest amenity "a.bar", which it seems you took the opportunity to enjoy. We look forward to hosting you again in the near future.

Reviewed August 4, 2013

We stayed here first week of August as our home base to tour Philadelphia historic sites. Our room was a one bedroom suite with full kitchen and was lovely! Very spacious, all recently rebuilt interior. Well furnished with everything you could need for cooking if you choose to. Right across the street from Rittenhouse Park which was very nice. A lot of very good restaurants close by, including aka Kitchen on site. Neighborhood grocery two blocks away, two Starbucks within two blocks. Noise level was a bit loud late night on Saturday but to be expected due to the large concentration of condos in the neighborhood along with the concentration of restaurants and bars. We felt very safe at night walking the neighborhood. Well populated with young people due to the nearby condos. Great value at $200 a night on the weekends, $160 weekdays. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: Higher floors might be quieter, we were on the 8th floor and could still hear street noise pretty cl...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ron L
managementakars, General Manager at AKA Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded August 14, 2013

Dear Ron L,
We appreciate you taking the time to share your experience via Trip Advisor. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed the spacious accommodations, and had the opportunity to enjoy some of the activity that makes the Rittenhouse Square neighborhood so special. We hope to host you again in the near future.

Reviewed July 5, 2013

Have stayed just over a month May/June 2013 for my daughter graduation at Penn. We took two bedroom apartment. We were very comfortable and happy with the accommodation and the hotel personals. During the last four years have visited Philadelphia three times. Have stayed at three hotels / apartments including the recent AKA. By far most enjoyable and comfortable for myself and family is AKA Rittenhouse Square.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PapaBear77
managementakars, General Manager at AKA Rittenhouse Square, responded to this reviewResponded July 29, 2013

PapaBear77,
Thank you for your thoughtful feedback regarding your stay at AKA Rittenhouse Square. I am very pleased to see that you and your family enjoyed your accommodations. Congratulations to your daughter for her graduation from Penn. We hopeful to host you on future visits to Philadelphia.