“Great food , good wine , but a little noisy, however a lively atmosphere”
Review of Osteria

Osteria
Reserve with OpenTable
Osteria is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #138 of 4,445 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Dining
Cross street: Wallace Street
Transit: Septa Subway Broad Street Line Spring Garden Street
Description: "Convivial and inviting, Osteria's heart is its open main kitchen from which its award-winning menu of antipasti, homemade pastas, house-cured salumi, authentic Neapolitan and Roman-style pizzas, wood-grilled meats, seafood and decadent desserts are crafted. Drawing its inspiration from traditional osterias found in Northern Italy, Osteria is the realization of a dream Vetri Family partners Jeff Benjamin and Chefs Marc Vetri and Jeff Michaud had while standing amongst the grapes of the Ca'Marcanda vineyards in Tuscany. Since opening in 2007, Osteria has become one of the country's most critically acclaimed Italian restaurants, receiving a 3-out-of-4 bell review from the Philadelphia Inquirer, and earning Chef Michaud the 2010 James Beard Foundation Award for "Best Chef: Mid-Atlantic" for his work helming the kitchen."
Reviewed May 8, 2013 via mobile

I'd go back, lively atmosphere, great food ,
We had a party of 6 & added one which they accommodated efficiently. Don't go for a romantic dinner it is very noisy , but good vibe, the wine was very good Italian amerone .

Reviewed May 7, 2013

They surely serve the bestest Ravioli - its heavenly. The ambiance was good and the service was prompt. However, its a little pricey but if its a special occasion - its worth trying.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

My husband and I went to Osteria last Saturday. We had a 9pm reservation and when we arrived it was chaos at the hostess desk. There were about 5 hostesses staring at the computer screen, too busy and frazzled to even say hello. My husband and I stood there and stared at them for about 5 minutes until one of them looked up. She explained that there was a back up and nobody was getting up from their tables so we would have to wait. And that was that. There were about 10-15 other people in the same position. We were all just standing around. I'm still not sure why the restaurant didn't offer to buy us a drink. Maybe this is something that happens so often that it's just another Saturday night at Osteria. Regardless, it did not leave a good impression on me.

When we were finally seated, things got a little better. The wine list is pretty good.

We then ordered a bunch of things. Overall, the ideas were good, but the execution of the dishes was mediocre. A spring pea pasta... doused in butter. Why? It could've been so good. Beet ravioli...with a spiced butternut squash filling...maybe nice for the fall, but not in the spring. Everything was just....eh.

It got the impression this is a place where rich people go to show off. Ladies dressed to the nines talking about their $75,000 window treatments and $1500/night hotels. Valet pulling in with their fancy cars. I don't have a problem with rich people...I live in NYC...I get it. I have a problem with flashy people who talk about their money.

The restaurant space was nice. Sort of urban rustic, with wooden tables and nice lighting.

And that's all I have to say about Osteria.

Reviewed April 15, 2013

I have wanted to try a Vetri Restaurant for a while now and we finally got together with some friends and settled on Osteria.

I did not know what to expect, and was trying not to get my hopes up to high as Ventri’s reputation in the city is becoming legendary. As soon as we walked in, I fell in love with the atmosphere; very hip and vibrant, if not loud…but I like it loud.

We had reservations and were almost immediately seated. The place was packed, but they seem to have the reservation thing down pat. We ordered our drinks and began with appetizers. Never feeling rushed, we ordered the Grilled Octopus, the porchetta and we also got the cold cut appetizer. For dinner, we ordered the Rabbit, the Cod and Veal. The food is simply awesome and eclectic.

Overall, Osteria is not a dressy place, it is a cool place, but not like Steven Starr places, it’s more rustica and invites you to hang out and eat. Be aware, it is a bit pricey and I won’t be going there weekly to drop @ $90.00 per person but I will go back sooner than later, the food is great and the atmosphere is awesome!

Reviewed April 13, 2013

...with a rude pretentious staff. Staff members in the open kitchen lingered oddly and would be starring at me at times. Who knows why, perhaps they were staring at someone behind me, inappropriate either way. The food portions (pasta) were very small and lacking in flavor. Normally when I receive small portions I am expecting a flavor experience that makes up for it. The menu is kind of difficult to navigate and hard to come across something that blew me away besides pizza. To be fair the pizza was pretty good and the atmosphere is nice. Overall it's only slightly above average though. I expected so much more from anything Vetri was involved in.