1024 Clinton Street Bed & Breakfast
$227
$229
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
See what travelers are saying:
Reviewed April 16, 2008

This B&B is now called the Clinton Street Bed and Breakfast and is located at 1024 Clinton. Inn-keeper Kathy was a saint: very friendly, professional and informative. Property is historic and well-appointed in gorgeous centrally-located walkable neighborhood. Our super-clean room was beautiful and stately. Best hotel bed ever! Tasty breakfast items are left in room so you can eat when you want. Best combo of great locale and price.

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank DandB80
Reviewed March 29, 2008

I love the Clinton Street B&B. It's quaint, it's cute, it's nice, I love making breakfast in the room instead of awkwardly eating with strangers. The innkeeper, Kathy, is SUPER sweet. I am uploading photos of the Ruby room where my husband and I have stayed.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 7, 2007

Had a fantastic stay at this wonderfully appointed charming old B&B, close enough to the centre of Philly to walk it, but on a good bus-route if feeling lazy! Room (Ruby) , kitchen and bathroom were large, well furnished, good bed, well stocked kitchen (so we could make our own breakfast and not have to get up!). The owner Judy is delightful and happy to oblige with any request, leaving tit-bits out to eat each night. We stayed for 5 nights so was also nice to have a laundrette around the corner! Very close to some great restaurants.

Stayed: October 2007
Reviewed October 6, 2007

Unique old four-story brick house on a quiet, lovely tree-lined street (1024 Clinton St location). The owner, Kathy, was very friendly, welcoming, and accommodating. However, there were some problems.

There was access to a computer, however the screen didn't work (scrolled after a few minutes).

The bedding must have been upgraded because it was lovely, with down comforter and plenting of pillows, etc. However, the room I got (Pearl - blue) did not have an upgraded bathroom. It had to be about 35 years old - shower handles broken off, shower head located at chest level, water stains everywhere, etc. I checked out some of the other rooms (more expensive) and found that the bathrooms had been updated - I would have paid more to get a decent bathroom! But on the upside, the room had an adjacent balcony which was very lovely. A/C was old and took a while to cool the room off (yes, even in Sept).

It's true that there wasn't much in the way of the breakfast being stocked but there was a WholeFoods grocery store around the corner where you can get anything you want.

It was probably a bit expensive for what I got and I would definitely negotiate a better room if I decided to stay here again.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled solo
Reviewed May 28, 2007

I believe this B&B has moved to 1024 Clinton Street and now goes by the Clinton Street B&B or Jacob Luken House B&B. It is in a really great area (Antique Row) and it's a really beautiful building--clean and comfortable--but on our recent visit there were too many things that would inspire me to go elsewhere in the future, considering the price. The owner, Kathy, seems like a very nice woman, but she might consider investing a little more in her business.

This B&B doesn't cook breakfast but instead, since every room has a kitchenette, puts breakfast items in the fridge for you to prepare on your own. Everything I had read said the kitchen would be stocked--but all we found in our fridge both mornings were about 6 eggs (although there was no olive oil to cook them with--instead, in the olive oil dispenser, there was a light yellow-colored soap, leading to a near disasterous egg breakfast), a plate w/ two slices of bread and two english muffins (but the room had no toaster!), some mini powdered donuts, two Dannon yogurts, a carton of OJ, carton of milk, and some jam. Even if we had cooked the eggs in butter, there was nothing else to cook them wtih--no cheese for an omelet, etc. We couldn't even toast a muffin (except, I guess, in the oven)! After being disappointed and annoyed, we gave up on breakfast both mornings and went out to a nearby cafe. I could have gotten better breakfast at a gas station. My husband even did a double take when I pulled out the mini donuts, as he had been to the 7-11 the night before to pick up some bottles of water (no bottles provided, plus no filter for Philadelphia's awful tap water) and thought he had inadvertantly bought them!

The soap and shampoo in the shower were full-sized bottles of generic brand (neither of which actually lathered, and was worse than the crap my husband used to buy when he was a poor student.) Actually, come to think of it, everything was generic brand--even the OJ and jam--and the towels probably, too, since they were really thin and kind of ratty (and too many of them had stains).

On the other hand, if you don't care about these things, the room was comfortable and clean. The bed was fine, although the sheets had ink marks on them and a few holes.

When I go on vacation and stay at a cute, quaint B&B in a historic house, I guess I just expect to be treated a little nicer than I usually treat myself (it is vacation, after all). Instead, I found myself longing for the things I left at home (good shampoo, thick towels, ingredients for a nice cheese omelet, bacon, herbal tea...)

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled as a couple