“Welcoming atmosphere for out-of-towners.”

National Mechanics Bar & Restaurant
Reserve with OpenTable
National Mechanics Bar & Restaurant is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #90 of 4,356 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Bar, Pub
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Brunch, Lunch, Drinks, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff
Neighborhood: City Center East
Richmond, Virginia
“Welcoming atmosphere for out-of-towners.”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

We were staying at the Omni and had no idea about any of the restaurants in the historic area. I was visiting with my elderly mother so I wasn't looking for a tavern atmosphere but we didn't want a super fancy restaurant either. Read some good reviews on here and decided to try.

The staff was very welcoming and let us sit where we wanted. The NM looks like the kind of place that would be cool to hang out after work or on weekends for beers, but the staff was also very professional and friendly. The waiter showed up quickly with menus and after with drinks.

We ordered the fish and chips which were fresh tasting. The fries were crispy but not dried out. For bar food, it was pretty decent quality and well prepared. The tables, floor and other items appeared to be well cleaned and maintained.

I recommend National Mechanics for good food and as a place to socialize.

• Visited February 2014

Ottawa, Canada
“Interesting building, good food”
Reviewed February 16, 2014

Fun (if slightly overpriced - $7 for 2) corn dog appetizer, with a very good hamburger/crab burger main course and good beer on tap option in Old City. Lively place, upbeat and building and location were pluses.

• Visited February 2014
Sarasota, Florida
“Comfort good god a great price”
Reviewed November 13, 2013 via mobile

We were staying near by for jury duty and decided to check out some eateries around the area. This unique restaurant came up on trip advisor do we checked it out. We were not disappointed. I was really hunger for a good burger and that's what I got. Although I would like to go back to try the veggie burger that received all the raving reviews. Next time. It did seem like a place for 20-30 year olds as we appeared to be the oldest 40-60 although we were treated as kindly as the rest with good prompt service. Try it...

1 Thank casciocrew
New York City, New York
“Make your own Bloody Mary. Food Ok. Service Could be Better…”
Reviewed October 24, 2013

Went there for a Sunday brunch with friends. There were 6 of us but we got a table quickly nonetheless. The server was chipper and friendly but not well trained. She messed up all of our drink orders and we ended up waiting for them for forever and then getting the wrong ones anyway. No, not the drinks! We want them right away! And as fun as make-your-own Bloody Mary sounded, I opted out for a pre-made house one, which was very good. The trick with Bloody Mary is that if you make your own, it comes in a much bigger glass (standard pub beer glass) than if you order it from the bar with the same exact ingredients!...Making your own Mary can be a nightmare…selection of vodka, then rim, then so many sauces that you don’t know where to run unless you have bartending training. I was not impressed with the quality of food. Yes, the selection is vast but the food lacked flavor; fries were not crunchy and the crab cakes ($12) we ordered did not taste like crab cakes. The egg skillet was not impressive either. The décor is strange, I mean I appreciate weird art and unique details but wall art in this bar was just strange and very sinister. I think a very dark-souled person was in charge of the décor. I would not say that the place is non-tolerable but I would not go out of my way to brunch there, especially that Philly is so rich on food.

• Visited October 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“karaoke spectacle”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

The food is good here. Their prices are high especially for their drinks However for karaoke on Tuesday nights you can not do better . They have an encyclopedia of songs.. I doubt they don;t have any songs you would like They have a huge karaoke area with a stage and huge motion n picture screen behind you. Big crowds for karaoke and an appreciative audiennce. it cost nothing for the songs. first come first played Best place in Philly for karaoke

• Visited October 2013