“Speedy service (not a good thing)”
Review of Estia

Estia
Reserve with OpenTable
Estia is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #32 of 4,506 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Greek, Mediterranean
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining style: Casual Elegant
Cross street: On Locust btwn 15th and Broad
Transit: Septa & Patco
Reviewed May 28, 2013

The restaurant where we'd planned to dine was closed for the Memorial weekend but we'd passed Estia and thought we'd give it a try. We got there at 6, were greeted coolly and immediately seated at a small table (chair on one side, bench on the other) between two other sets of diners. Why this table was positioned to seat a diner on the break between two bench cushions is beyond me. I immediately requested another table and we were seated at a lovely 4-top booth. As we limited ourselves to appetizers, we were very happy we had the space.

Collin brought menus and asked about our water preferences. It wasn't until about 5 minutes later when he stopped back and asked about drinks. I do love going over a menu with a nice glass of wine and the bottle we selected (with his help) was speedily delivered and opened. He seemed a little confused at our seeming inability to choose something and stopped back frequently with suggestions. I guess this was because the restaurant was barely half-filled and he had time. We took his suggestions of the octopodi along with our desire to try the grilled sardines. Within a few minutes, the dishes arrived.

The sardines were wonderful with a perfect combination of creamy flavorful fish and crispy skin. There were 4 large (for sardines!) fillets and I was surprised that some of the bones were a bit big . But who cared with this yummy dish! The octopodi was a warm salad with tender (uber-tender!) chunks of octopus with the perfect balance of veggie to meat. A great recommendation. Collin also recommended the horiatiki salad. He pointed out which dishes on the menu were "share-able" which was very helpful. This was a HUGE and super-fresh salad with tomatoes that tasted fresh-picked but literally came out before we'd finished half the mezedes.

We hadn't done our homework though and had had whole fish the night before. I'm sure it was wonderful here but we decided to try a couple more appetizers. We went for the spanakopita which was just lovely - crispy with a tangy filling with large chunks of cheese. Delightful. The dolmades were disappointing with a weird mouth-feel (kind of slimy). I love stuffed grape leaves but between us we only ate one of the 4 served. When we ordered, I specified "take your time" on these but, as with the rest, they were on the table within minutes.

We shared a baklava, a Greek coffee (quite delicious) and a few minutes of conversation with Collin. I know there have been comments about unfriendly service but this was certainly not the case with this charming young man. He never once questioned our decision to eschew an entree and continued up to the end to make this meal work for us.

My biggest problem was how quickly food was delivered without any sense of pacing the meal. Although we didn't feel rushed (and there didn't appear to be a second seating in the offing) there was never time to savor the last dish before another appeared on the table. This was too bad as, with one exception, this was definitely food to savor!!

1  Thank ellasahar

Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Fresh fish, awesome homemade pita and a reasonably priced wine list. Salads are different, shareable and lightly dressed. Try the octopus app, lamb shank and fresh whole fish. Cannot recommend the stuffed calamari - just not appetizing. Don't forget the ouzo at the end of the meal. Wines by the glass and bottle are good.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

We dined with our 4yo son. He slept for almost the entire time, so I presume it wasn't a dislike of children that caused the unfriendly and unsmiling service. I requested an apple juice for my son, and was told "no". After an uncomfortable 10seconds or so the waiter grudging offered an orange juice instead. When we completed our meal we were offered coffee, which we declined. The waiter responded with a grunt, and soon after tossed the check on the table.

The food was excellent, but didn't make up for service that bordered on being rude.

1  Thank richard255057
Reviewed May 18, 2013

Went here for a business lunch. One of our party was already seated. We barely sat down when the waiter came over and asked if we were ready to order. The bread and appetizer came out quick. The food took a little longer than expected. We were never asked about drinks and had to ask. We also never received any water.

The food was okay, average in my opinion. I really did find anything special about it. One diner in our party ordered the business lunch that included dessert. It took a very long time for the dessert to come out. It was baklava so you know it was already prepared.

I did not like our waiter. I felt he was very abrupt and barely came to check on us. It took a good 15 minutes to get the bill and another 10 for him to process it. We were all wondering what was going on.

I did like the decor and the atmosphere but that's not enough for me to return.

1  Thank Mailer1877
Reviewed May 10, 2013

We heard people rave about this place but were kind of underwhelmed. The ambiance is certainly very nice. The food was okay but nothing special. The service was also average. Cheapest bottle of wine was $30. I've had much better Greek food at little neighborhood places.

1  Thank xyzxyzxyz