“Share a unique view of the sky from within a beautiful structure”

Chestnut Hill Skyspace
Ranked #93 of 462 things to do in Philadelphia
Reviewed June 2, 2014

Rest quietly on a bench or on a mat on the floor of this Friends meeting house with others, and see the changes in the sky above, undistracted. The artist James Turrell has designed a simple domed ceiling with an opening in the center. Darkness arrives or departs as the sun rises or sets. The colored lights along the ceiling slowly shift hues, imparting surprises to one's perceptions. A meditative and thought-provoking art installation.

1  Thank Eamons_Gma

Reviewed May 30, 2014

The sky is the brush, the canvas, the paint, and we are along for the ride. As the movement of color propels us toward deeper spaces within ourselves, microcosms of the universe.

Reviewed May 14, 2014

A beautiful, serene and moving experience. Lie on your back, (bring a pillow, blanket) and take in the light show, featuring the sky as it's centerpiece. This is not a worship service. It is an art installation.

1  Thank grandmaPhiladelphia
Reviewed May 7, 2014

I've seen both the sunrise and sunset Skyspace openings, and I enjoy them both for different reasons. But I've also now been to two weddings in the space. The capacity is not large (no more than 150 people) but with all the windows and glass doors, the feeling is not claustrophobic. At the second one, the artist's closed loop "light show" was running as the guests gathered, but they were so intent on talking to each other that I think few of them noticed. But during the ceremony the space worked very well, and had just the intimate feeling one would want from a small wedding.

2  Thank Philip J
Reviewed March 30, 2014

Your Skyspace experience will be different depending on the weather. We were there on a rainy day, so the roof never opened, but it didn't seem to make any difference to the quality of the experience. We were encouraged to lie down on the cushioned benches and stare up at the square opening in the curved ceiling. I was a little worried, having heard the experience would last 20 minutes. That seemed like a long time. So we stared up and at first nothing seemed to be happening. Then I gradually became aware that the color was changing and shifting ever so slightly. I found myself becoming very attuned and noticing more subtle changes in colors and contrasts. It was all over much too soon. I couldn't believe that 20 minutes had gone by. It felt more like 5. At first I was aware of settling into the experience and becoming open to it. But then the self slipped away somewhere. Afterwards it was as if I had participated in an intimate sunset - not off in the distance - but tantalizingly close. A beautiful light-filled experience.

1  Thank claireg335