“Best food and hookah in the city”
Review of Byblos

Cuisines: Mediterranean
Neighborhood: City Center West
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed October 28, 2013

Went to Byblos and had an amazing experience. Waitresses were very attentive and friendly and the owner George took time out of his busy schedule to make sure everything was going well with our party. Would definitely recommend Byblos to anyone looking for both hookah and food.

There are newer reviews for Byblos

Reviewed August 5, 2013

This review is actually for Vango, the club next door, which is owned and operated by the same people as Byblos. I am sure you can expect similar treatment at Byblos.

A group of us went to Vango around 12:30 or 1am after a party. We were pretty excited to go 'for old times sake'. Unfortunately, we didn't even make it in the door due to a childish power-play by the bouncers.

When we got to Vango, we waited in line for 5 or 10 minutes before we got to the door. As a previous reviewer noted, they were doing TSA-style pat downs of all the men entering the club. The bouncer at the door initially waved us in, but then stopped us and told us to 'hold up'. My girlfriend asked him 'Well, which is it?' with a little bit of sass, but nothing overboard. You would think that a bouncer should be able to brush off a little bit of attitude, right? After all, these guys were checking people for WEAPONS! A little bit of sass should be the least of their worries. Wrong. Immediately, the bouncer accused her of being drunk, and another bouncer came over and said "Oh yeah, shes drunk". Teamwork. Of course we had been drinking (as is everyone lined up outside a club at 1am!), but no one was drunk enough to be denied entry to the place. It was just a powerplay because these guys didn't like having their authority questioned (there are other, similar reviews on the Vango Yelp! page). We asked if they were seriously not going to let us in, and the bouncer said no. We even had to ask for our IDs back, as if they were going to keep them (we were all 25+, so its not as if we were using fakes or something). At that point we left.

The whole event was ridiculous and humiliating. The bouncers were not doing their jobs: they lost good business for the club, all because they wanted to feel like big men. Dia Sawan (the owner) and the management at the club would do well to more closely supervise the people working the door. However, based on the huge number of negative reviews here, I don't think they care enough, or lack the business sense/skills to do so. And that should be reason enough for people not to go here.

I am willing to update/remove this review if Vango can demonstrate some kind of effort to address this issue. I have contacted them directly to let them know this. However, if you are reading this review, it means that they have not done so. Take your business someplace else (but not to Byblos, as it is owned/operated by the same people).

Reviewed May 21, 2013

One of the WORST night spots I have been to in a really long time. The waitress (Kate) was horrible. She lied to us and told us to get a table we needed to order two hookahs and a drink each. The problem was only a couple of us were going to have hookah and we did not need to order two at $20/piece. Later we found out that you only need to order one hookah, so she was just trying to get more money. We also had run into some friends that came to sit at our table with us, and the waitress quickly came over and told us we could not sit together because we did not come together. Are you kidding? Throughout the entire night she was rude and made us all really agitated so I asked to speak to the manager (George) in hopes I could at least save the next group of people the hassle of her attitude. He was even worse. When I told him about my experience the waitress came over and he told me to talk to her and just walked away. I ended up having to tell the waitress how awful her service was, which is the managers job to deliver in a constructive way. he totally did not care and was even texting while I was talking to him before he ended up sneaking away when she walked up. HORRIBLE place please don't waste your money. There are other more professional places to visit. You will be happy that you didn't waste time at this lackluster business!

Reviewed April 20, 2013 via mobile

Stopped by here for some food drinks and hookah while in Philly. Food was pretty good, a bit less than authentic. Some affordable dishes on the menu, but also several overpriced options ($20 for 4 shrimp?). Drinks not toooo overpriced.

Would have been an ok experience, BUT service was AWFUL. We were seated at a dirty table, we had to get up and track down a waitress to place a drink order, and then had to find her again for each course of the meal. They took our credit card and ID, saying they needed to hold it since we were ordering drinks. When we were trying to leave, they brought the check after 3 requests but did not bring our ID or credit card. They seemed annoyed when we asked for the card and ID. Overall just terrible, rude and inconsiderate. We were going to try out their hookah, but after a 2.5 hour battle we just needed to leave!

Reviewed December 29, 2011

Went tonight with my wife and 3 young children and the staff were exceedingly kind and welcoming. It was like being swarmed by attractive and motherly nannies who also serve food and wine. They fawned over my 2 girls and helped us order precisely what the girls were looking for while also entertaining them. The food was excellent for all of us and value for rittenhouse was good. Specifically the octopus was cooked perfectly and melted

It was a nice memory for all of us and I would go back any time. And the ambiance was quite nice as well even though my 1 year old was going after all of the tea candles. But for going out to a fine dining restaurant you couldn't hope for better.