“Health and Sanity Hazard” 1 of 5 bubbles
Review of Burbridge Street B&B

Burbridge Street B&B
Ranked #10 of 25 Philadelphia B&B and Inns
Atwater Village
“Health and Sanity Hazard”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 23, 2007

I can't believe that Burbridge Street B & B is operating as a bed and breakfast. When we arrived, we drove around the block twice because we couldn't believe the building we saw was the right place. Warped, unpainted wood boards, swaying stairs and porch, no sign letting you know this was the place. We had to carefully stop over the rotting planks in the porch while simultaneously avoiding the rusty nails sticking straight out of the banister. You think I'm kidding but I'm not!

Our room: clean, nice, very comfortable bed, decorations were okay. Exposed and overloaded electrical socket 3 feet away from the leaky bathroom shower is a fire waiting to happen. On our arrival, the owner's (previously undisclosed) cat was on our bed and we were told, "Oh, she'll be in there all the time unless you close the door." A little warning would have been nice.

Bathroom: shared bathroom, much ancient masking tape on the floor for a renovation job that never happened. It is badly needed though since much of the bathroom tile is bubble gum pink. Toilet clogged and I had to plunge it myself since owner was not around. Strange masses of plastic grocery bags stuffed next to toilet. Shower leaks copiously all over the floor. The piece de resistance: the owner keeps her cat's litter box in the guest bathroom. Again, I am not kidding. AND - she keeps her hairdryer resting on top of the litter box. Yum, did you make my breakfast with those hands?

Breakfast: gooey, sickly-sweet and not even fresh breakfast breads in sticky plastic bags, bottled fruit juices, and pre-set dishes of fruit salad. Which were fizzing. Fizzing!

So, if you want to go on a vacation and possibly experience one or more of the following:
Broken leg, tetanus, allergies, toxoplasmosis, electrocution, food poisoning, or recreational plumbing, then I recommend Burbridge St B & B. Otherwise, I strongly urge you to stay somewhere else.

• Stayed March 2007, traveled on business
      Location
      Check in / front desk
      Rooms
      Cleanliness
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
13 Thank SuperSpecialK

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
New York
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 12, 2006

This is dirty and not safe. Bad food, misleading advertisement. I truly believe a relative or the innkeeper wrote the ONLY positive review. My mom and I stayed here because everything else was booked and I don't want anyone else to ever have to spend the night there. The innkeeper runs it, cleans it (not well) and rides her bicycle to pick up supplies. ..therefore she is short on fresh supplies. She needs a restoration, heater, and a guide on what B&Bs look like. We had no locks on our door and took off first thing in the morning after a very cold night of unrest. Beware

Stayed October 2006
13 Thank bpwalls
Maryland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 5, 2006

This is not like any B&B I've ever stayed at before.

First, there is no sign out front advertising that the house is a B&B. It stands on a VERY QUIET brick street. We had to double check the street address before ringing the doorbell. All the houses on the street are 100 years old, and this one is no exception. When we rang the doorbell, we were welcomed by the owner of the house with a huge smile.

We stayed 2 nights while exploring Philadelphia attractions and colleges. Philadelphia was surprisingly clean and friendly! I had heard such horror stories, that I was scared about my daughter looking at a college downtown center city. I was also scared knowing she would need to get an apartment downtown. After visiting the college of her choice, we walked the streets until after dark. I never felt unsafe. Philadelphia is a lovely city and the locals were very friendly and willing to talk to us. Even a homeless person told us that Rick's had the best cheesesteaks!

The house is located about 10 - 15 minutes away from center city, but is a beautiful drive. (Take the homeowner's advice on directions!!!) This is not a luxury B&B. There is peeling paint and creaky stairs, but the whole house is very clean and cozy. There are antiques scattered throughout the home. There are coffeepots and small TV's in every room. The beds were gorgeous and the mattresses were comfortable. It gave me the feeling of staying at a Great Aunt's house.

Continental breakfast included fresh fruit, a good selection of cereals, a selection of juices, and lots of different types of breads.

The owner is a well traveled woman and is a great conversationalist. She is a proud native of Philadelphia and gave great advice for directions and attractions. She also has international guests and enjoys talking about her experiences. Her enthusiasim is contagious.

If your looking for a Ritz-Carlton, go somewhere else. If you want to be welcomed into a quiet local's home with open arms and truly feel Philadelphia, this is a great value!

• Liked — Feeling welcome in a local's home
  • Disliked — Creaky stairs
  • Stayed September 2006, traveled with family