“FUN with lots of BUT...”

Ride The Ducks of Philadelphia
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: Ride The Ducks tours take you on Philadelphia’s ONLY land and water tour! See more than 100 of the city’s important sites and landmarks on our tour route, as comical Tour Guides share fun stories and trivia, along more than 14 miles of smiles and laughter. Philadelphia’s favorite tour travels from the Historic District to the Museum District – and numerous neighborhoods between – before splashing into the Delaware River for a 20- minute water cruise. Adults and seniors will have just as much fun as kids! Your Tour Guide will en-tour-tain you with stories of past and present. Learn about Philadelphia history, the Delaware River, the cities famous personalities and area’s impact on the state and nation. Find out about Philly’s role in film, song, and sports!
Useful Information: Activities for older children
New York
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 94 helpful votes
“FUN with lots of BUT...”
Reviewed August 27, 2012

I So wanted to enjoy this WAY more than I did. I almost did not want to write a review as I did not want others to perhaps be discouraged. My wife and I Took the whole family last friday. The kids were so excited land and water tour SOUNDED GREAT.Took my 9 and 6 yr old. The amphibious vessel is cool. The main problem is this. The sites u see on tour are mostly so small (philly sites in general are smallish) that its best to see them on foot as the bus can only slow down or stop at a site for a few seconds as traffic behind the bus warrants you to move on. The sites are not huge and ornate as lets say a washington DC tour so its best to have an intimate walking tour to see the landmarks. There were many cobble streets where the vehicle shook quite vigirously and for more than a few seconds. It was a sunny day so the bus being an open vehicle albeit with a roof got VERY VERY WARM on the outer seats. At the end the Water entry part was cool with its very mild splash down and very short water portion tour. In the end I see why there are so many other tours abound. I thought the land and water duck tour would be the best but an enclosed bus that lets you hop on and off would probably have been the best option for my family.

3 Thank RYBA1

Boston, Massachusetts
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“A great way to see the city if you are short on time”
Reviewed August 21, 2012

We were traveling to the Philadelphia area and managed to get a few of the last seats available on the last tour of the day (6:00pm on a Monday). We knew we wouldn't have a lot of time to tour the city on foot, so this was a quick and fun way to see the city and learn a few things in about an hour. I've been on other duck-boat tours in other cities (Boston, Seattle) and this one was good. Friendly, funny tour driver and the experience of going into the Delaware river always adds a little extra something beyond your standard run-of-the-mill city trolley tour. Our 2 year old daughter liked it too, although she got a bit antsy towards the end. The highlight for her was that they handed out duck "quacker" noise makers at the end of the tour. She is still enjoying it!

3 Thank AJ09-137
Hasbrouck Heights, New Jersey
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“Had a real SPLASH!!!”
Reviewed August 18, 2012

While I loved and enjoyed the history and informational side of Philadelphia, at one point it was "overload" with seriousness. I told my husband of 30 years that I wanted to do something fun and whimsical to offset that. We passed by the Duck and I decided that this was what I wanted. It wasn't a mistake either! While still seeing historical sites, it was fun and different! Captain Jay and sidekick Steve were funny and knowledgable, engaged two children and gave everyone a shot at the trivia! We had a lovely experience!

4 Thank C0nnie147
Milford,Pa
161 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 192 helpful votes
“Fun Tour of the City of Philadelphia”
Reviewed August 17, 2012

We took our grandson on this tour of Philadelphia that includes a trip in the Delaware River. Although I have been to Philly many times they took us places I've never been. It's a great way to see the city.

3 Thank Milford_PaMooseman
Penna
22 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Cancelled our trip, overcharged for rebooking”
Reviewed August 16, 2012

We purchased tickets online and paid a convenience charge in addition to the ticket cost for doing so. We were only in town for two days, so tight scheduling for our trip to the Franklin Institute (on the other side of the city), etc. I arrived to pick up our 10:30 tickets at the window at 9:45. I waited in line for 10 minutes (I was the second person in line), and then waited for 15 minutes while the employees tried to figure out how to give me my tickets. I was then informed they couldn't print them because they cancelled my trip - to my 4 year old's dismay after traveling across the city and standing in line for so long. No one informed me prior, I found out 10 minutes before it left. So, we wasted half a morning and a bunch of time we would have been elsewhere had we known the tour was cancelled (which, they knew before that moment, clearly). They could not rebook me until the next day. They did so and did not refund the internet "convenience" surcharge on the purchase. The tour itself was okay. A lot of little known Philly facts, but honestly we circled around the same small part of the city many times. Next time I would use a walking tour. Disgusted with a lack of customer service; I will never use Ride the Ducks again.

1 Thank Jen B