“Great Ambiance, Beer and Mussels”
Review of Monk's Cafe

Monk's Cafe
Ranked #7 of 251 Nightlife in Philadelphia
Tuckerton, New Jersey
34 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 39 helpful votes
“Great Ambiance, Beer and Mussels”
Reviewed August 11, 2011

I'm not a huge beer drinker but love Belgian beers, Chimays and craft beers. Monk's has a huge selection. I am a mussel lover. Every time we have been there I've had mussels prepared in a different way. They have always been plump and juicy. My husband has always been happy with his selection. The salads are wonderful also. I would like to comment to the bitter person who was angry because the wait for his reservation began when his party was complete. This is not unusual for many restaurants. It is a common practice that avoids any confusion and is more than fair. It is too bad you weren't aware of this practice. You missed a great and fun meal.

Visited August 2011

down by the river
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 16 helpful votes
“I <3 Monk's”
Reviewed February 14, 2011

I actually haven't been to Monks in quite a few months but decided to give it a review since it only has 2. The beer menu is awesome as is the food. I will agree it can get very crowded & you may need to wait for a table. What's more, there isn't much room at the bar to wait in. However, I feel it is totally worth the wait. I like the "abbot" on a tuna steak (they have all different styles of burger add on's named after Belgium cities & you can have it on a burger, veggie burger, vegan burger, tuna or chicken) The fries are fantastic. I love these so much I have a hard time ordering anything otyher then the abbot with fries or "frites". In the past my husband has ordered the rabbit, the lamb, & mussles & loved them all.

Friends who know how much I enjoy Monk's have been recommending Eulogy for a while. I finally gave Eulogy a try (Feb 2010) And here's how I can break it down:

Food - MONK'S
Beer - TIE
Service - EULOGY

Since I like to Eat & Drink the win easily goes to Monk's.

Visited September 2010
Cherry Hill, NJ
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 38 helpful votes
“Will never go there again.”
Reviewed January 15, 2011

I knew we would have to wait for a table as it was a Friday evening. Got there about 20 minutes before my wife and asked for a table for two. They told me it would be 15-20 minutes. Perfect, I thought. My wife arrived after twenty minutes. I asked about our table and they told me it would be another 20 minutes because, "your party was not complete." What kind of nonsense is that? I would give these cretins zero stars if I could. We left and walked over to Estia and had some great grilled octopus. You can get good beer and food at many places in Philly. Skip the poor customer service at Monk's and go elsewhere.

Visited January 2011
San Diego, CA
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 3 helpful votes
“BEST mussels ever!”
Reviewed February 18, 2008

The BEST mussels I've ever had. Even at 4pm on a Sunday the place is buzzing. If you go on a Saturday night, be prepared to wait. There is also a wide selection of bottled beer, but I'm not a beer person so I couldn't give you a review about that. They also have sandwiches which were also good. Their seasoned fries are de-li-cious! All in all great place for supper time (if you want to avoid the wait).