“Typical Irish bar though no Guinness served, kind of loud and crowded”
Review of Irish Pub

Ranked #44 of 250 Nightlife in Philadelphia
Philadelphia
4 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 35 helpful votes
“Typical Irish bar though no Guinness served, kind of loud and crowded”
Reviewed December 13, 2012

We came here one night after dinner for a couple of drinks. We had a rather large group of 12 people and the staff at the pub sat us in the back, near the kitchen. We had a booth and were able to stand in the aisles, so it did not feel too crowded. The actual bar area as MOBBED, as was the hallway coming into the bar.

The floor is tiled, including the steps, which means "slippery when wet." The sober person in our party actually slipped down the steps which were very slippery. I did not get to see the full beer list, but I had been craving a nice Guinness (since it was an Irish bar). Unfortunately, they did not have Guinness, instead they had O'haras Irish Stout. Eh... not the same as Guinness.

I don't like this loud or crowded of a bar scene, so I most likely would not come back unless it was for a quick drink on my way to, or home from dinner. Otherwise, I think there are much quieter, nicer places to visit.

Our waitress was very friendly and kept the drinks filled.

I later found out it was Army/Navy weekend, so that could have been why the bar was a bit rowdy. Not sure how it would be on a "normal" weekend. There was also a $2 cover, which I did not expect at a bar.

Visited December 2012

Edinburgh. Scotland
18 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 150 helpful votes
“Disappointing ....service not great”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

We originally just went in for a drink - to sit at the bar. It was our first nite in town so didn't really know where to go to eat. The food coming thru looked ok so we asked for a table. There was a few diners but there was a good few empty tables. The server took our order quite quickly and gave us a drink but trying to get her attention again was almost impossible. When she brought the food we managed to ask for a cocktail.. We'd asked for water with our meal and the cocktail came but still no water. After asking for it 3 times - I went to the bar - she didn't look too happy - but my water came eventually. I asked about the sauce I'd asked for when my meal arrived - she disappeared and about 5 mins later a bottle of vinegar was banged down on the table.

I went to her again - she didn't know what sauce was - I gave up

I had a chicken burger - you can't really go wrong there but my partner had fish - it wasn't fresh and was out of a freezer - he didn't really enjoy it

We gave up trying to get another drink or a pudding......the bill came fast though!

We tipped - although we shouldn't have left as much as we did

Would I visit again - maybe for a drink - but not for food

Visited November 2012
Miami, Florida
“Pleasantly busy”
Reviewed March 27, 2012

On a Thursday night, the restaurant part was busy in a nice way, the hostess and waitress were perfect, the beef stew was tasty, the salad was fine, the draft Yards IPA was fantastic. We went back the next night (Friday) but the bar area was loud and packed with dancing young people so we fled.

Visited March 2012
Hillsborough, North Carolina
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“Irish Pub”
Reviewed January 29, 2011

Yep it is a chain (at least a Philly chain). Average bar experience. My only problem with the place was lack of Guinness on tap. Irish Pub, c'mon. Guinness should be a prerequisite for applying the name "Irish Pub" to the sign on the building. The bartender actually sounded proud of the fact that they do not serve Guinness when we asked for one upon entering stating "we have survived 21 years without serving Guinness. ".

My not recommending the place is based on the fact that those who enter a place named Irish Pub seeking a Guinness should probably look elsewhere.

Visited January 2011