“One of Baseball's Best Venues”
Review of Citizens Bank Park

Citizens Bank Park
Ranked #7 of 462 things to do in Philadelphia
More attraction details
Owner description: Philadelphia Phillies' home stadium
Reviewed July 29, 2011

My family and I had a great time at the Phillies game last night. We have all been to the new ballpark several times and visit an average of two or three times a season. Compared to other major league stadiums I've visited, it is certainly one of the best.

Some of our favorite things about the Phillies park:

1) The seats and sightlines. We've sat in a wide variety of seats at the park, from the nosebleed section (400-level) all the way out in the left field corner to seats only a few rows behind home plate. There really isn't a bad seat in the house. Of course, some seats are better than others, but if your budget can only afford the cheapest seating area, you should still consider it. They really did a great job at designing this park in terms of viewing the game. Our seats last night were in the outfield straight down the third base foul line and they were amazing.

2) The food and drinks. The selection of different food and drinks, as well as the locations of stands throughout the stadium, make finding good grub at the park convenient. (Note, I didn't say "cheap" but more on that later!) My personal favorite is Chickie's and Pete's. There's always a huge line at this stand out in right field, but it moves fast because they only serve their famous crab fries with cheese sauce (AMAZING!) and drinks.

3) The website. Before you visit the ballpark, be sure to visit the Phillies website. They have extensive information about planning your visit to the park, including helpful maps (parking lots, as well as stores and food stands in the stadium) and even descriptions of what each stand serves so you can get an idea before you arrive about what you'd like to see and do.

4) Ashburn Alley. If you're a Phillies fan or a baseball enthusiast, take the time to walk through Ashburn Alley in the outfield. They've got some cool exhibits about past players and the history of the Phillies going back to the 1800s.

5) The Phanatic. One of major league baseball's best-known mascots, he is always an entertaining part of the ballpark experience.

Some things we don't like:

1) Prices. Bring cash and credit cards, because you will spend a lot at the park. From the now-$15 parking fee to the always bemoaned beer prices, it's an expensive night out. Because of the Phillies' success and the fact that they've sold out every home game for a few years now, ticket prices are high. Food and drinks are expensive as well. However, compared to other major league stadiums, the prices really aren't that far out of line with what you see at other franchises.

2) Parking and driving. For people like us who come from too far away to take public transportation, driving to the game is often a challenge. The best thing that you can do if you're driving to the park is get familiar with the area. Print out a parking map from the website and go on Google maps to give yourself an idea of the layout of South Philadelphia. Nothing is more frustrating than sitting in traffic longer than you need to because you took a wrong turn and can't find your way back to I-95.

Philadelphia sports fans have a bad reputation across the country, but we have rarely run into problems or seen bad things at Phillies games. Tons of families bring their kids and it's an exciting atmosphere. Of course, there are always jerks out there and they tend to get more attention than the tens of thousands of gracious fans that come to every game. If you come to a game and someone near you is out of line, flag down an usher. There's a huge presence of Phillies staff at the park and they are there to help you out. Don't let a fear of Philly fans keep you from enjoying this great park.

Citizens Bank Park also offers ballpark tours. We have not had a chance yet to take one, but it's on our bucket list for the future. Check out their website and see if it would be a convenient addition to your trip. Enjoy your time at this great park!

Reviewed July 28, 2011

I love the Phillies and "The Bank" is a great place to watch them. I have yet to find a bad seat and I've been going with my family for the past couple of years now. The new state of the art HD scoreboard is great. Any information related to the game is there to see. The kids love Ashburn Alley. You can pitch for speed, try some Phils trivia, and run the bases with the Phanatic. You earn tickets that you can trade in for some good premiums. We traded ours in for a couple of rally towels and a Phanatic foam finger. The wall of fame is very informative, giving information about Phillies and Athletics history. Yes the Athletics used to play in Philadelphia before moving to KC and currently to Oakland. The bullpen area has baseballs and how to hold them to pitch different pitches. They memorialize their greats in the form of statues. Steve Carlton, Mike Schmidt, Robin Roberts, and Richie Ashburn are immortalized. A wall has the Phillies retired numbers, and flags commemorate special years in their history; 1915, 1950, 1976, 1977, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1993, 2007-2010. It is a great experience for the entire family.

Reviewed July 28, 2011

The typical crowd at this ballyard is no longer male dominated. There are families, fathers and sons, teenage girls and young singles enjoying the warm summer nights.
The Phillies are winning and the mood is one of peace, love, and happiness. There is not a bad seat in the house. The food is great street fare. It is a bit pricey though.
On that topic, parking

Reviewed July 1, 2011

I flew in from TF Green with my son to see the Red Sox play the Phiilies in a matinee matchup. We took the Broad Street subway line from the City Hall stop -- the trains were clean and efficient but the City Hall station itself could use a makeover. I wore my Yaz jersey and my son wore his Lowell t-shirt. No one hassled us and I had a good time bantering with the Philly fans. I had a cheesesteak from the Campo' stand, and my son had a hot dog which he said was the best ballpark frank he's had. The weather was perfect, the sightlines were great (we sat in the Terrace section), the bathrooms were kept clean , and the fans and stadium personnel were first class as well. Thanks Phiily, we had a great time!

2  Thank Beantownsports
Reviewed June 12, 2011

Went to two night games Cubs vs Phillies June 2011 . I follow the Cubs.The Phillies fans were great.They like baseball and most of them like the Cubs.Must be the underdog factor.
The park just is not as nice as PNC or Camden Yards.Not much atmosphere,just Parking lots.Transportation on the Subway was excellent.I would most likely not return.

2  Thank Paul B