“Very good, but not for the money.”
Review of Barclay Prime

Barclay Prime
Reserve with OpenTable
Barclay Prime is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #40 of 4,429 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Steakhouse
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center West
Cross street: Locust
Transit: The 12 Bus Route runs on Locust Street & curls around Rittenhouse Square. Get off at the intersection of 18th Street.
Reviewed January 12, 2014

My wife and two adult children recently ate at Barclay Prime. The food was very good and the service was excellent. However, relative to other restaurants, I don't think it was worth the money. One of our go-to restaurants is Seasons 52 and the filet mingon there is just as good for half the price.

There are newer reviews for Barclay Prime

Reviewed December 19, 2013

Hmm. It's hard for me to review a steak restaurant since steak is usually not something I go out to eat. I can do a great steak and sides at home with prime meat from a good butcher and do it for much less. But here we are. I tried it because of all of the hype and because I had a Starr gift card to spend down.
First, I do not give 5 star reviews unless: 1) I am totally blown away, 2) it's a Michelin ranked restaurant like the wonderful Alinea.
So, as a Starr restaurant, this was fine. The service was attentive and excellent. The waiter was knowledgeable and dignified -- no cutesiness which tends to turn me off. This guy was mature. The food was fine. It was steak. I'm not that gaga about a hunk of meat on a plate. Our filets were good and grilled to perfection. A bit steep at $75 a piece, but they were tasty and very rich. Our steak tartare was fine, but a bit over spiced. The mushroom and spinach sides were excellent and the popovers were to die for. Wine list is interesting and varied. The furniture is very comfortable. The noise level was not as overpowering as most Starr restaurants, but still fairly noisy. Earth to S. Starr, you may think that noise = energetic buzz, but empirical research shows that people find deafening noise aversive. But, I have a hypothesis about the noise in Starr restaurants. People do find it aversive and leave as soon as they can. Voila, the table turns over rapidly. What a business plan!
So, would I recommend this place? Not really over the other high end steak places in Philly. With the exception of Ocean Prime, they are pretty much equivalent.

Reviewed November 23, 2013 via mobile

Great, Great place!!!! All of the pictures online show a much brighter/well lit restaurant.. To our happy surprise, it is a much dimmer/more romantic setting.. That being said, let me get to the important stuff.... The food is out of this world!!! Yes, it's expensive, but when the food is as good as theirs is, the price is worth it. Appetizers were great and so were our entrees. My husband got the ribeye and I got the veal.. Amazing!! The truffle mashed potatoes and truffle Mac & cheese were unbelievably good! I forget our dessert, but it was some kind of chocolate/peanut butter thing.. WOW!!!! We also brought a bottle of our own wine and they only charge a $25 corkage fee.. The other drinks we got were well worth the price too! If you're looking for a nice treat for a special occasion, I highly recommend Barclay Prime.

Reviewed November 20, 2013

This is my most favorite eatery in the City of Brotherly Love...and perhaps in the country.

With wonderful decor, fantastic service everywhere (from the hosts/hostess to the bartender to the serving staff), an awesome menu, and absolutely delicious food, you can't go wrong here.

I went back this evening to celebrate some birthdays & anniversary with friends. And as always, and as expected, it was a perfect evening with scrumptious food served by prompt and friendly service. The food was all cooked perfectly, with everything tasting just perfect. Whether it was the tuna tartar, grilled scallops, or perfectly prepared steaks, everything was absolutely delicious.

This restaurant is one of the most expensive in Philly ...but it's worth every penny. Whether you indulge on their $100 cheesesteak or a more moderately priced $45 12 oz filet, or a $88 3 pound lobster, you are in for a treat that's well worth the pricetag.

I'm a well traveled foodie and this venue is terrific --I can't recommend it enough!!

Reviewed November 19, 2013

We went for a special occasion and they did a real good job. We had soup and apps and entree and desert. Everything was great. The sevice was close to perfect and fun. They popovers were incredable. This place has some real good food and should not be missed. Save up and go as it is worth it. EXCELLENT JOB, THANKS.