We travel to Philadelphia a few times a year mostly to dine out. We typically stay in Center City, but tried this new location in the Navy Yards in part because of the free parking, good rates and location to stadiums (we had tickets for a Phillies game this trip).
We'll definitely consider staying here again on future trips, even when we don't have tickets for a game. This is a unique mix of a quiet, water-facing mixed-use retreat ripe for walking and exploring and an urban location.
The staff went above and beyond and the hotel decor is very fresh and welcoming. It has standard Courtyard features and palate, with local touches, such as Navy books on the lobby mantel. I'd love to some back and check it out during the week and spend more time walking around.
- During the week you can get food in the Urban Outfitters building and a few other spots (we weren't there during the week, but the spots seem to get good reviews. A list is available here: http://www.navyyard.org/great-amenities/restaurants-retail)
- During the weekend you get access to the Navy Yards (fun to walk around) when it is closed to the public. A walking tour map and visitors guide is available at the following link: http://www.navyyard.org/sites/pny/uploads/files/The_Navy_Yard_Walking_Tour_and_Visitors_Guide_2012.pdf
- This is a great spot if you or your kids like planes, ships or areas under construction. Planes are low enough for you to see the airline name when sitting on the hotel patio, but thanks to the windows/soundproofing we couldn't hear them. The ships are in walking distance and the area is great for walking around and exploring with a mix if historic buildings, abandoned factories, lots, and new construction.
- We felt safe and comfortable walking to a Phillies day game from the hotel. We hopped on the subway afterward to get dinner in Center City. The subway is right near the stadiums, so if you are comfortable with a bit of a walk, you can keep your car parked at the hotel and take public transit even if you're not going to the game. Walking at night would be a matter of your personal preference and sense of safety. There aren't people around and spots can be a bit dark.
- If you plan to take a taxi back to the hotel, be sure you have a sense of where the Navy Yards are, as in our experience, not all drivers know where it is (despite GPS).
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Experience modern style and historic charm in this dynamic city hub when you stay at our new, LEED-certified and eco-friendly hotel in Philadelphia's South neighborhood, the Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard. Located just four miles from Center City, our hotel is the first in The Navy Yard's dynamic urban development offering a unique campus environment with a dedication to sustainability. Experience our state-of-the-art lobby and The Bistro – offering all-day dining, an evening bar and The Navy Yard's only Starbucks®. You'll also enjoy our South Philadelphia hotel's inviting, flexible spaces where you can work or relax. Tap into the free Wi-Fi throughout our Philadelphia South hotel, or get the latest news, weather and airport conditions via our GoBoard technology. Whether traveling for business or pleasure, your visit to our hotel's South Philadelphia accommodations is sure to be more comfortable, more productive and more enjoyable than ever before. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com and Priceline so you can book your Courtyard Philadelphia South at The Navy Yard reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.