“GREAT VALUE”

Cuisines: American, Asian, Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Lunch
Neighborhood: City Center East
Description: McGillin's Olde Ale House, Philadelphia's oldest continuously operating tavern, is known for large selection of regional beers, comfort food & friendly service.
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Looking for a place on a Friday evening, but not wanting to spend more than our hotel room for dinner. Just walking around downtown, and found this lovely Irish Bar on Drury Lane. Place was pretty empty on a Friday evening around 7:00 p.m., got a little crowded after 9:00 p.m., but not "wall to wall." Pub is decorated with lots of antique decor, but unlike most similar pubs, the interior was very clean. Two levels, though the second floor was not decorated as much, and as most of the "younger crowd" ventured upstairs, we stayed down. Local in-house beers (i.e. McGillin’s 1860 IPA, McGillin's Pale Ale) were very good, and dirt cheap (around $ 3.00 a glass.) (Also, the "house pouring whiskey" was Irish "Tullamore Dew" - I almost had a heart attack when one of the younger female patrons ordered her whiskey with pickle juice - why would you do that? She said it sweetened the taste of the whiskey - guess it's a Philadelphia thing.) For dinner, the entrees were mostly around $ 10 - and I thought a great value. I had the German Sausage Platter, came with a side of nice fresh vegtables - my wife had a seafood dish over pasta, and was similarly pleased. Lots of other nice selections on the menu. I would easily say: This is this one of the best $ 10 meals I've ever had in a restaurant! Nice atmosphere and history as well. If you are looking for a nice "Pub Grub" type meal and a drink, stop in here.

Reviewed August 21, 2013

We were looking for a place close to our hotel which worked into the historical sightseeing we were doing with our kids. We checked out the website for this place and it had a kid's menu and a long Philadelphia history.
I've been to my share of Irish Pubs, and this was not as advertised.The exterior was charming, yet the bouncer and loud dance music blaring from the club, I mean Ale House, at barely 8 p.m. gave us pause. We were starving so we went in. I felt so awkward, getting strange looks for having my children with me. It was so loud we could not talk to each other.
The decor was odd, the building itself seemed in need of repair, and the waitress was nasty and never brought half of my son's appetizer, never was around to refill my drink, we had to share silverware, and getting the check took forever. The food was mediocre. I wound up waiting in the alley with the kids while my husband got the check because the music was so loud and we just could not stand it anymore.
This is nothing but a college bar in a really old building.

1  Thank abcmama
Reviewed August 10, 2013

I visited the oldest bar in Philadelphia to have a drink. The people were very nice. The atmosphere her was very casual and enjoyable. It was great people watching also. The bar is in a good location and easy to get to. I would recommend this place for anyone visiting Philadelphia.

1  Thank Scott S
Reviewed August 4, 2013

If you're out and about in center city Philadelphia or perhaps taking in a show at the Forest or Walnut Street Theaters, consider giving McGillin's a visit. Located on a quiet, almost sleepy end of Drury St., a couple of walkable blocks from each theater, the place has a fairly authentic Irish pub feel. Even better are the food, prices and service which, in our opinion, are going to be difficult to beat in center city. It is a family-friendly establishment with a great beer collection, including the house ales. It's certainly worth the visit and the prices, quality and service will not disappoint.

1  Thank PAAbee
Reviewed August 1, 2013

My last day of work in Philadelphia my friends and I went to McGillan's! It has a great atmosphere is a nice place to go hang out after work, grab food, watch the game, etc. The service is wonderful and I can't wait to head back to Philly and hit up one of my favorite bars.