“Good Visit”

Cuisines: American, Asian, Irish
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Breakfast, Lunch
Neighborhood: City Center East
Description: McGillin's Olde Ale House, Philadelphia's oldest continuously operating tavern, is known for large selection of regional beers, comfort food & friendly service.
MaineUSA
“Good Visit”
Reviewed May 13, 2013

My friend and I were looking for a place to eat on a Saturday night and found this place. As others have noted the place is quite noisy and not the best place for a quiet conversation. However, the stout was excellent. We both had shepards pie with a generous salad. The prices were very reasonable. Both were good and we were glad we stopped

• Visited May 2013

Saratoga Springs, Ny
“Philly Favorite!”
Reviewed May 2, 2013

I loved this place! It definitely made me miss college, we ordered way to much food, drank way to much beer and it came out to $25 a person! A great people watching spot! A senior citizen couple sat on top of each other and made out at the table next to us while people stood around and danced in the crowded pub all during the dinner hours! We ended up going back later in the night because we couldnt get enough!

Toronto, Canada
“Decent place for a pint”
Reviewed May 1, 2013

My colleagues and dropped in one evening for a couple of pints before heading out for the evening. Touted as Philly’s oldest running watering hole, the interior was a mish-mash of any number of common roadhouse interiors... I did not feel as though we were stepping back in time. Beyond the exterior façade, it could have been any place, anywhere. That said, for a cold pint, it did the trick but, next time I am in Philly, I will not make the trek to McGillin’s when I want a cold one.

common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“If you like stouts, you'll love this place.”
Reviewed May 1, 2013 via mobile

The Ohara's Irish stout (made in Ireland), is fantastic. The food smells fantastic (based on the French onion soup next to me), but I'm only here for the beer. The bartenders were immediate on the initial fill and subsequent re-fills, even though the place was packed. Quick bartenders, great beer, and a fun historic atmosphere make me want to return the next time I'm in Philly.

Visited May 2013
CT
“Bar food; great service; real Philadelphia treasure”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

we tried to head to South Street but we didn't want fast food cheesesteaks for our first Philadelphia experience. We took a cab back towards 13th street and thankfully spotted McGillin's. We ate upstairs and enjoyed cheese steaks that were AWESOME. Definitely a bar scene, and we were there on a Thursday night, but the waitress made us feel right at home as a family with two teenagers. I would absolutely return