“Bar food; great service; real Philadelphia treasure”

McGillin's Olde Ale House
Ranked #1 of 104 Bars & Pubs in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American, Asian, Irish
Good for: Bar scene, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast
Neighborhood: City Center East
Description: McGillin's Olde Ale House, Philadelphia's oldest continuously operating tavern, is known for large selection of regional beers, comfort food & friendly service.
CT
“Bar food; great service; real Philadelphia treasure”
Reviewed April 27, 2013

we tried to head to South Street but we didn't want fast food cheesesteaks for our first Philadelphia experience. We took a cab back towards 13th street and thankfully spotted McGillin's. We ate upstairs and enjoyed cheese steaks that were AWESOME. Definitely a bar scene, and we were there on a Thursday night, but the waitress made us feel right at home as a family with two teenagers. I would absolutely return

IN
“Good Food and Prices But EXTREMELY LOUD”
Reviewed April 24, 2013

The food and prices were good but the music and chatter was way too loud. I think people were trying to talk over the music; maybe if the music had been lower maybe the loud chatter/hollering/laughter would've been lower, but then it's an Irish bar, so maybe not. Although the food was good, we felt rushed to get out of there (because of the loudness; we had to almost scream - like the others - to talk with each other) and couldn't really enjoy the food as much as we would have liked to. We've traveled a lot and been to lots of restaurants, but I have to say this place was probably THE loudest we've ever been to. If you enjoy loud places and good food, this is the place for you. Maybe we went on the wrong night or at the wrong time of night???

“Great Pub”
Reviewed April 19, 2013 via mobile

The bar has a cool atmosphere and friendly staff. The bar is decorated with old newspaper clipping from PHL sports teams and about the bar. I really like the great priced food and drinks. This place was a highlight of my trip.

PA
“Exactly what I expected”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Great authentic Irish pub. Very noisy, but great atmosphere. Food was very tasty - I had the shepherd's pie. Since the place was packed when I went, the service was a little slow. They could have used a few more servers, but I'm not sure they expected a crowd that big on a Tuesday night. Would definitely recommend it.

Round Hill, Virginia, United States
“Great Beer prices/selection”
Reviewed April 16, 2013

Confession - I didn't eat here. I went here only for an evening of drinking with friends (closed the bar one night) - and this place fit that bill PERFECTLY. I was in Philly for 4 days and this place was consistently hopping and jumping - crowded, but popular places with good prices, selection and service usually are. My group mostly hung around the bar area so we had attentive service (those bartenders worked their butts off). The bar itself oozes with atmosphere that supports its history as a bar in long time operation. They card everyone at the door (better safe than sorry). Next time I'm in Philly, this will be one of my evening hangouts!