“Classic Jazz Club”

Ranked #605 of 4,428 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: City Center West
Reviewed July 27, 2011

Chris’ Jazz Café was a classic little jazz club. We were there on a Saturday night, and it was remarkably quiet. The band was a very respectable quintet, and the food, while not gourmet, was quite good.
There are not a lot of places where one can go to hear decent jazz. Based on our one visit, this is one of them.

There are newer reviews for Chris' Jazz Cafe

Reviewed March 24, 2010

To preface: I have written about 15 positive reviews. 1 negative. This will be my second. I was staying in Philly on business at the Union League. I walked past this place with 2 coworkers where we were told they had a special $1 draft, $3 Jim Beam Special, so we went inside. Once seated, we were told there was a $5 cover charge per person "to support the band", but we could see if we liked over a drink prior to being charged. Ok, so we were ok with it....then, 2 waiters came approached us. We asked for the draft special and were told that was only for hospitality workers..??? I didn't realize that I needed my attorney to review all of the fine print. We were civil and ordered a couple of drinks then asked to leave without the cover. We understood an establishment needs to make money, but please be honest....

The positive is that the facility is decorated niceley and the band was talented, but we couldn't appreciate due to the dishonesty.

3  Thank PghBanker
Reviewed December 27, 2009

I've been going to Chris' since there actually was a guy named Chris who owned it, 20 years ago. Can't praise the place enough. They have "name" jazz acts several times a month, with a cover charge ranging from $10 to $30. Well worth it to see folks like George Coleman, Rashied Ali and David Leibman over the years.
The food has gone from good to excellent in recent years and the crowd is respectful of the music, which is a major plus. You can park at the lot next door for $10 for the evening.
If you reserve a few days in adance, you can get a table near the stage.
Highly recommened!

Reviewed December 2, 2009

I had the recent pleasure of hearing Dr Dean and his group perform at your establishment on December 2nd and I really enjoyed their composition and the ambiance of the restaurant. You really struct solid gold when you decided to book his group.

Reviewed September 11, 2009

I'm not a city girl so coming into the city has always been an intimidating experience for me, but there's a place I will brave driving into the city once or twice a month. It's become my favorite night out and a place I love to bring friends and family for a special evening of great food and entertainment!

Just off the Avenue of the Arts, turn into the quiet side street of Sansom, and there you will find Chris' Jazz Cafe. If the weather is nice, you might find a table and chairs just outside the door. It seems to be a favorite place to have a cold drink and dig into their $10 bucket of crawfish that look more like lobsters! There is a respectible and very reasonable parking garage right next door and if you bring them a receipt from Chris' they discount it even more. You just have to step out of your vehicle and stroll in, you don't need to go anywhere else for the evening!

You can come casual, I've seen people in jeans with nice shirts to the very dressy, neither will feel uncomfortable here. It has a cozy intimate feel to it. The service is exceptional, really, they know their art and there is a pride shown for the menu, for good reason. The food is a beautifully presented, and cooked perfectly. A gourmet marriage of New Orleans and Philadelphia. You won't be disappointed with anything from the appetizers to the entree to the desert!

Sometimes I come and have appetizers and a desert while I enjoy the show and with the $5/$10 cover and a $8-$15 generously sized appetizer and a $5 desert, and a $? beverage, you can expect to spend $25-$30 per person, not including the tip. That's less than most concert tickets in the city or a trip to the movies with popcorn and a drink! The only other cost is the parking next door with the receipt from Chris', it has run me about $10, staying about 4 hours in the city.

My favorite is the dinner and a show for $40, which includes the cover. There are so many great things to choose from it's hard to decide what to order so I often let the chef decide for me. The chef prepares a five course dinner just for you and your guests, it's different every time, it's like opening a present. While you are enjoying your dinner, there's a show.

I've enjoyed listening to everything from the jazz vocalist, to a young pop funk band, to a full jazz ensemble. The bar area is separated somewhat from the dining areas so that where ever you decide to sit for the evening, you can see the stage as close or as far away as you please and still feel like you have your own intimate corner away from the rest of the world.

It's can be a romantic place to bring a special someone, it can be a place where you could introduce a child to jazz and fine dining, or bring a group of friends to catch up, or a business client that needs a break from the grind, or family and friends to celebrate a special occasion. I've seen all of the above happening there. If it sounds like I adore this place, it's because I do, it's a place of my heart in the heart of the city that even a country girl could fall in love with.

1  Thank observantNewJersey