“Good food”

Joe's Steaks + Soda Shop
Ranked #191 of 4,631 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: American
Reviewed August 29, 2013

I don't have much Philly cheesesteak experience IN Philly, but we went here because of the Tripadvisor reviews we saw. It really was very good. Strong onion flavor, and the melted cheese makes them awesome. No cheese wiz here. I was glad about that. I don't think I would have liked that very much. We also tried the shakes, and we got burgers for the kids. All in all, it was tasty. This place is a little out of the way, though, and the neighborhood is questionable. There is really no place to sit a family as big as our there, so I just went in and ordered stuff to go. We also didn't feel safe parking our car on the street and leaving it for a period of time. Overall, the food was good, but the location could be better.

Reviewed June 24, 2013

I actually almost forgot to review this place. We drove to Philly which is about 3 hours away from my in laws house in New Jersey just to get a real Philly Cheese steak. My husband wanted to go to Geno's or Pats, but I had already read on another website that these places were just tourist traps. I spent about 30 minutes searching for another place and this one kept coming up on the local websites so I begged my husband just to let us go here. But he wanted to at least try Geno's we decided to do a comparison. It was no contest Chinks was so delicious it ruined me for cheese steaks. Geno's tasted just plain awful after having Chinks. We got a chocolate milk shake that was so thick and yummy. The only downside is very little seating and the parking on the side street was kind of tight. We ended up eating our cheese steak in the car.

1  Thank R0430
Reviewed May 23, 2013

Now called Joe's I finally found the place to go for a good cheese steak. All flavor, not greasy and great service. A bit hard to find but worth the trouble.

3  Thank Terri L
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I was very happy that the good reviews of this restaurant were accurate. We came in between lunch and dinner so there were open tables and the bar seating was also open. Squeezing into the very tight booths was another issue but we managed and pulled up a chair for one of us that just couldn't fit in the booth. There were no menus. Everything was painted on the wall. The dress-coordinated servers were very friendly and efficient. I liked that we could choose between 3 different cheeses for our cheesesteaks!the pickles and peppers were yummy on the side, non-greasy fries were served hot. The thinly sliced beef was tender. Would recommend Chinks to. Friends.

3  Thank iag2011
Reviewed February 25, 2013

I love hitting the hidden treasure type of restaurants. You know the kind where the locals go but want to keep it a secret. Well this is that kind of spot. A close Philadelphia friend alerted me to this place when I asked where should I go for the best cheese steak while we were visiting Philadelphia. Without hesitation he sent me here. I have to be honest I was expecting Pat's or Geno's (I've eaten there previously and this place tops it easily).
This is a nondescript place with decor from the 1950's with a friendly staff, nicely priced but above all very good cheese steaks. If I have one complaint it would be that I bring back New York bread (I'm a New Yorker) because Philly rolls just don't cut it for me. With that said, I picked up Chicken Cheese steaks, Cheese steaks and a Hot Sausage and peppers for the group of people I was with. They were all the rave and not one person had anything negative to say. We were there for the weekend and had they been opened on Sunday we would have gone back for seconds. And did I mention they make egg creams? Had myself an awesome black & white egg cream and a few others had the extra thick milk shakes.
Now I live in Central New Jersey a good hour drive away. I'm planning on returning with my son for lunch. If that doesn't say it all, nothing will.

2  Thank Jcapasso1964