“A nice place to visit but don't book large parties you care about!”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Morris House Hotel

Morris House Hotel
Ranked #9 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Austin, Texas
“A nice place to visit but don't book large parties you care about!”
Reviewed May 11, 2010

I stayed at the Morris one day first week of May and attended a rehearsal dinner for my brother's wedding a few days later. My room was everything I could of asked for and the hotel itself is absolutely charming! It seems like you are on your own at night, kind of like a hostel, but even that has it's charm and the Morris is moderately priced during the weekdays. I was a little annoyed in the morning when I found everything but toothpaste in my bathroom. My fault but they didn't even have a small bottle of toothpaste for sale in the lobby. That's basic.

A few days later at the rehearsal dinner the service bordered on a nightmare. First the staff did not see fit to water almost anyone until we asked halfway through the 1st course. The waiter acted like this was extra work or something. They also only acted like wine was available instead of beer and wine which was agreed upon. It was only when I saw other patrons having a beer that I decided to order one. All the en trees for guests of over 40+ began coming out 3-5 at a time at prolonged intervals. Our guests were to polite to start eating in front of people that hadn't been fed so their food got cold. When they finally delivered the chicken pesto pasta, they tried to sneak all of them out without chicken. It was like it was personal or something. I have never hand delivered a plate of food back to a waiter, but when I did and asked what was going on she said she was really sorry which I only took to mean it had been done completely on purpose.

15 minute later I had some pretty good chicken pesto after most people had already eaten. In short the service was like school in the summertime and was simply not worth the gratuity included with the bill. Don't book em!

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nomad1028

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
New York City, New York
Reviewed April 19, 2010

We've been coming to the Morris House Hotel for more than five years now (probably six or seven times in total) and have consistently been pleased with our stay. Hotel staff are quite friendly and very accommodating, the rooms spacious and tastefully decorated, and the location just perfect for business and pleasure trips alike (we've visited for both reasons). We really like the L'Occitane bath products -- a special treat -- and the breakfasts are just right. We will be back again soon.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed April 8, 2010

We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. It was built in the late 1700 and has lovely character. Sometimes it's a bit of a worry to stay in an older building, things are usually cracking or there are drafts or the amenities are not quite up to scratch, not so for Morris house! The only draw back that sound does travel a little bit but that didn't bother us much!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Baltimore
Reviewed March 31, 2010

The location was great, being so close to historical sites, shopping districts, and lots of restaurants. The hotel was clean and the room was spacious, comfortable, and classy. I was worried about two things from some negative reviews: breakfast and noise. Even though a lot of rooms face 8th street, our bed was on the other side of the room and was quiet. The only thing to be aware of is that there is a subway system that runs beneath the building and while I felt light rumblings (and couldn't hear it), I can't imagine staying on the first floor. We stayed in room 301. The breakfast was adequate: cereal, OJ, milk, bagels, pastries, coffee. The internet was very, very spotty, so beware.

Lenka, the woman concierge and front desk person, was really great. One of their other front desk men mumbled a lot though he was very courteous-- I couldn't really understand or hear anything he said to us. My only suggestion would be to have someone at the front desk more often. Someone was there 50% of the time.

I would recommend staying here, but only if you get a deal. We got the midweek special (buy two nights and get the third free). And take the bus or train. Parking is expensive, at $15 a day and at least $20 overnight.

1 Thank rtung
arlington tx
Reviewed March 28, 2010

The room was delightful, the bathroom immaculate (plenty of towels and hot water). We enjoyed the afternoon tea and the complimentary breakfast, but it was the friendly service that was exceptional -- everyone was delightful and helpful. The food at the restaurant was very good too! We can't wait to return -- the location was perfect for the theatre and historical sites: we walked everywhere and took the train from the airport!

Poconos
Reviewed March 24, 2010

The Morris House Hotel was a delight. The staff, the hotel amenities such as the library, and the reading room made me feel as If I were at home. I have been raving about this stay since returning home. Looking for excuses to plan another stay.

scranton,pa
Reviewed March 15, 2010

Place was beautiful, well situated in center city Philly. We stayed in the carriage house. Very well equipped and roomy. Well furnish and well kept. Very, very rainy weekend, so it was a perfect time to stay inside. Hotel staff was very accommodating and informative of local restaurants and things to do. We had dinner at The M Restaurant, the food was delicious and servers were professional and very friendly. We could not have asked for better service all around. The only downside was there was a funky smell in the carriage house. We were not sure as it may have been from all the rain. It was pungent when we first arrived but dissipated as the weekend went on. Other than that it is a hidden gem and well worth the price.