“great for private event”
Review of Ocean Prime

Ocean Prime
Reserve with OpenTable
Ocean Prime is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #71 of 4,631 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Description: OCEAN PRIME is a modern American restaurant and lounge from renowned restaurateur Cameron Mitchell. OCEAN PRIME Philadelphia delivers an extraordinary experience to guests. Stunning settings and a vibrant energy, an impressive menu of seafood and prime cuts of steak, signature cocktails, a Wine Spectator-honored wine list and truly genuine hospitality make OCEAN PRIME Philadelphia an ideal place to socialize, talk business, celebrate and indulge.
Reviewed November 9, 2013

my experience here was through a business reception in a private room. We happened to arrive early but the staff adjusted and made sure we had drinks. There were a variety of appetizers served, which at the rate they disappeared everyone loved them. A large group in a small room can be difficult to please but the staff was great and made sure your never without an empty glass.

Reviewed October 31, 2013

Very impressive. Bar area is stunning. Packed on a Tuesday night, but not uncomfortable. Drinks were generous & fairly priced considering that OP shoots for the top of the market. Food was fabulous. Steaks were tender & delicious, nicely seasoned so it was not just a slab of meat. Pittsburgh rare was done right - sometimes difficult for even the best of steakhouses. Sides were a little different and great - jalapeno potatoes au gratin. A touch of heat that was a nice change.

Wine list, while not huge, had lots of great choices. To compete, they will have to double its size, though. Pricing was mostly the unfortunate standard 300% but there were a few at 200% if you know how to find them. When will high end restaurants get it - scale down the markup on wines retailing over $50 on a sliding scale so that by the time you get to a wine that retails for maybe $100, it is only a 200% markup and maybe stuff that retails for $200, markup only 50% and the stuff will fly out of the wine cellar and profits will soar. Wine geeks (like me) who see a $200 bottle for $300 in a high end restaurant will be all over it giving the restaurant a $100 profit. But if it's $600 - which is what they do - they won't touch it and instead we start looking for the bargains under $100 and profit might be $30 - $50.

Off the soapbox.

A word about service because others have mentioned it. A tad slow but OP is only 4 weeks old. Service will undoubtedly improve as team chemistry develops. Go check this place out and cast your consumer dollar vote for what may soon be recognized as the best steakhouse in Philly.

Reviewed October 25, 2013 via mobile

We had the pleasure of a late unplanned visit to Ocean Prime in Philadelphia. As busy as it was we were provided a spacious booty within minutes.

The menu is twin track fish 'n steak but with plenty to choose across the fare. The server was exceptionally helpful with advice on the menu with choices of steak cuts and sauces giving us a lot to consider.

The lobster bisque was served piping hot over miniature corn niblets and a sliced corn fritter. The bisque had real depth of flavour and presentation was excellent.

My 10oz filet mignon, in truffle butter, and my wife's 16oz Kansas strip with green peppercorn sauce, we're cooked to perfection but the accompanying jalapeño gratin potatoes stole the show: creamy, cheesy and just a perfect late warmth from the peppers!

I surrendered but my wife felt able to tackle the creme brûlée - but it was a serving for two! Beautifully cooked but a serving for heartier appetites! I wished I had been to help...

The wine list was extensive and the Cloudy Bay was served perfectly chilled, although an ice bucket would have been a nice touch as the restaurant was warm and by the end of the night it had lost its perfect chill. The server was attentive with top ups if the glasses but seemed to insist in reorganising the glasses to her specification regardless of where I had the glass!! A strange quirk..

The meal was hugely enjoyable. The final bill was expected but would mean only infrequent visits to allow you to save up!

If visiting Philadelphia it's a great place for a super meal, great service and excellent wine selection. Come hungry, enjoy each bite and appreciate the culinary talent on display...

1  Thank Rugbydude_12
Reviewed October 23, 2013

Came with our family to celebrate my husband's birthday. Thoroughly enjoyed everything from appetizers through dessert, and our waiter, Mike, recommended a special bottle of red to enjoy with everything. This is not a bargain basement-priced restaurant, but you so get what you pay for at Ocean Prime. You can't go wrong with any of the seafood choices--all are fresh and succulent--tried twin Maine lobster tails, snapper, calamari with a sweet and spicy chili glaze, carb cake appetizer, and yellowfin tuna. There are plenty of beef/chicken/pork choices for those who aren't fish lovers. As much attention is paid to the salads and sides as to the rest of the menu--we loved the rosemary truffle fries, the house salad chock full of green apples, goat cheese, and candied walnuts, and the spinach with tiny bits of bacon and onion in it (yum!!). Didn't experience any noise, but we arrived early on a Saturday--about 5pm--and had the place mostly to ourselves. If you have children with you, check out the "Young Adult" menu for smaller portions and prices; they also offer a G-Free menu.

Reviewed October 16, 2013

The entire summer I would pass Ocean Prime on my way to and from work while it was under construction. I have to admit that from the sneak peeks of the décor I had high hopes for it. My husband and I recently dined at there to celebrate our anniversary and I was not disappointed. The staff was polite and knowledgeable. The food was delicious and we both really enjoyed the experience. Well worth the treat.