“The Gnochi is fantastic!”
Review of Girasole

Girasole
Ranked #2,202 of 4,370 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Dining options: Reservations
Description: Boutique authentic Italian Mediterranean restaurant & bar.
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“The Gnochi is fantastic!”
Reviewed December 12, 2013

I spent several summers in the dorms across the street from this hotel while completing an MFA at UARTS. Needless to say, food had to be within walking distance and so did a really good glass of vino. I landed here the first time as a convenience, but after that, it was by choice. It's small and caters mostly to a theater crowd, so tables might be difficult to find before curtain on theater nights, but by 8:00pm, you can have the place to yourself. The atmosphere is elegant but relaxed, quiet, with low lighting. They have a bar where you can sit and eat if a table isn't available. A perfect place to relax and converse. They have a really good kitchen with fresh pastas. The menu isn't extensive and that's a good thing--keep it simple and you'll do it better. I love their gnochi. The mista salata is large and lovely with a light dressing and super fresh greens. They have a nice wine list, not extensive but suits the food. And they have several nice reds by the glass. I now visit Philly several times a year and this is always at the top of my goto spots. We were just there for the MFA thesis show for this crop of graduates and the food was better than I remembered--two nights in a row! Prices are a bit high for most students, but perfect for the theater crowd...or me.

• Visited December 2013

Saint Davids, Pennsylvania
“Yummy Italian food”
Reviewed October 14, 2013

This is a gem of a restaurant slightly off Broad Street at Pine Street. Had wonderful soup and a really fabulous eggplant dish. Lovely service. Cost not over the top.

• Visited October 2013
Salt Lake City
“Excellent intimate authentic Italian dining experience”
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I ate here recently at the recommendation of a nearby hotel when I was in a mood for a quiet low-key dinner with good food and no stress. This was the perfect place! The food was rustic and authentic, made and served with lots of love. This has all the feel of a family-run restaurant; the service is attentive but not intrusive. This place is full of mellow mood, a perfect place for chatting with a date or reading a paper if you are alone. The portions were just right, leaving me feeling satisfied but not stuffed. I would definitely go out of my way to eat here the next time I am in town. All in all a very memorable meal!

• Visited April 2013
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“A Few Blocks Off The Beaten Path”
Reviewed April 10, 2013

Dropped in for a quick bite after a show at Suzanne Roberts Theatre around 8:00PM. The place was almost empty so I was a little leery but, as it turned out, my fears were ill placed. The tuna tartar and the tagliatelle bolognese were both delicious, though both could have used a bit of salt. My friend and I split each dish ($10. sharing charge for the pasta) and, as a result, the portions were just the right size (we're not huge eaters). The service was top notch; the hostess/server was welcoming and she knew what she was doing. The location is just around the corner from the Wilma and Suzanne Roberts theatres and just a few blocks from Philadelphia's answer to Rue Faubourg St. Honore, Walnut Street. I'll go back again.

• Visited April 2013
“Great Italian Food”
Reviewed December 11, 2012

We have visited Girasole several times over the last couple of years and always finds the food and service superb. It is an ideal place to have a pre-concert dinner at their special price and the restaurant is quiet and charming. On this last occasion we enjoyed an excellent fritto misto appetizer and a delicious gnocchi entre.

• Visited December 2012