“Now off my bucket list”
Review of Geno's Steaks

Geno's Steaks
Ranked #352 of 4,611 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Lunch, Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed September 30, 2013 via mobile

Philly cheesesteak in Philly had been on my bucket list for years and I finally did it! Once is enough. Food was good and quality was fine. Take cash only. Hot peppers on side very good and don't forget the fried onions.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)

Reviewed September 30, 2013

My husband and I stopped by Geno's Steaks this past Saturday around 12:30 pm on a bright beautiful day! Found parking pretty quickly and made our way to Geno's. Last time we were in the area we tried Pat's so we figured we will give Geno's a try this time. Waited on a surprisingly very short line and proceeded to order. The steak was sandwich steak sliced thin. I opted to go with the onions on my sandwich "witout" the cheese. It was not fatty or chewy at all - a good sandwich. Glad we stopped by to try it.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

When in Philly try a "real" cheese steak right? I looked up the most popular ones, and read about Genos VS. Pats, right across the street from each other. So we figured we'd try one from each. We tried Genos first, and then went over to Pats. You definitely need to know exactly what you want when you get up to the window. These guys don't play around. No one was rude, they are just very to the point, and all about getting the food out quick. The cheese wiz was really good though on these Philly steaks, I had never tried that before. The meat at Genos was more like thick slices, and I prefer the more "chopped up" meat at Pats. Genos bread was much softer though and thats my preference. They did have a sign at the ordering window about speaking english if you expect service. Apparently kind of controversial. I thought it was hilarious, myself. So between Pats and Genos, I'd say I preferred Pats overall. Just be sure to order correctly- I was listening to other people order before and after us, and you can tell the locals from the tourists for sure. The locals simply for a "wiz wit onions". Really funny. The steak was good though, I would certainly eat there again.

Reviewed September 22, 2013

I recently ate at Geno's. I was surprised at the $10 price for a cheese steak, and was more surprised to pay another $2 for a non refillable soda!! Unfortunately I had a better, larger & tastier, cheese steak at a cart across from the Liberty Bell!! Geno's is simply a tourist trap, but the history of the location is to be notated.

Joey Vento was the PT Barnum of the cheese steak business. He learned about the cheese steaks from his father. Then he used moxy and a little cash to start up the Geno's location that now stands. He was a true marketing genius! I was amazed by the neon lights and all the pictures of celebrity guests that adorn the walls. Truly amazing!!

If you decide to make the quest to the home of the cheese steak just remember that you are going for the nostalgia as a better steak can be had just about anywhere on Chestnut street. But if you want to see where it all began then I recommend you venture out to 9th & Passyunk for a look-see of your own....

Reviewed September 21, 2013

Generic taste, poor customer service, not worth the drive. I would not recommend. Rude signs and mean glares... mediocre at best. Steakums has better taste than this stuff. If you want a good cheesesteak, go to Tony Luke's or Jim's Steaks. Two of the best and most authentic in town! Don't waste your time or money on Geno's.

1  Thank Jennybean813