“Don't waste your time on this Philly Classic”
Review of Geno's Steaks

Geno's Steaks
Ranked #352 of 4,610 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Takeout
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I have heard for years from my East coast buddies that Pat's and Geno's was the place to eat cheesesteak sandwiches. After arriving there and seeing no one at Pat's we went with Geno's in this ghetto type area of Philly. You can only buy cheesesteak sandwiches, fries, drinks, and pork sandwiches. The food was bland and dried out and the people working there were rude. Geno would not be proud and I assume since he passed the good maybe has home down hill. You have to sit outside in a snack bar atmosphere which I would like if I wasn't skeptical of this neighborhood. 60 dollars for four sandwiches, three cheese fries, and some drinks. I would save the time money and be safe and explore the finer foods and restaurants of Philadelphia.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,860)

Reviewed June 14, 2013 via mobile

Did not live up to the hype... Sandwich was dry and boring. Fries were equally bad. I'm glad we went though... Found out for myself that it's not worth the money. Thankfully we went mid-afternoon on a Thursday so we didn't have to wait.

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We took a taxi just to go out there and try the 'best' It was nothing great and I would NOT recommend taking time just for this place. We found better ones inside Reading Terminal Market.

Reviewed June 10, 2013 via mobile

I tried a mushroom Cheesesteak from Pat's and then had to try Geno's to compare. Geno's won hands down. Pat's was kind of soggy and extra messy, but did have pretty good flavor. Geno's was perfect. I think what made the biggest difference was the type of bread Geno's uses and the raw verses cooked onions. I loved it and if I'm ever in Philly again, I'll definitely come back to Geno's!

Reviewed June 9, 2013

I had the Philly cheesesteak challenge and Geno's did not win for me. Maybe it was the bread. It was OK. I like Pat's better. I'm over the cheesesteak hype now. It is a legendary place though. I saw them on the Food Network. I've been there now.