“"Steak capital of the world"”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Geno's Steaks

Geno's Steaks
Ranked #150 of 4,342 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Good for: Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Breakfast, Outdoor Seating, Seating, Takeout, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Bella Vista / Queen Village
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, United States
“"Steak capital of the world"”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

I am born and raised in Philadelphia. I am not a great cheesesteak fan but when I want one I do go here!

Visited August 2012

• Indonesian first
  • Polish first
Phoenix
“Better than Pat's but still average”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 30, 2013

My husband stood in line at Geno’s while I went to Pat’s. I liked Geno’s cheesesteak better than Pat’s, which tasted bland to me. But the sandwich called to mind those old Wendy’s commercials in which the woman asks “Where’s the Beef?” For $9 I’d like a pile of shaved beef on my sandwich, not a thin layer. These two restaurants are making wheel barrels of money and I think they could put a little more of the good stuff in the sandwich. That said, you should try Geno’s while in Philadelphia if for no other reason than to say you went, but I suspect you might get better cheesesteaks elsewhere.

1 Thank PhoenixRobin
Greenwich, ct
“High expectations and long lines”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

The problem with "celebrated" establishment, is that your expectations are so high that it's difficult to be an impartial judge.
I found Geno's cheesesteak sandwich good, but I doubt I'll spend again 35 minutes in the line for ordering.
I was lucky to find one of the few available tables, so I could avoid eating sitting by the fence of the nearby property. I did not find the servers particularly rude: the are trying to keep the line moving and are not there to befriend the customers.
I did not try the rival Pat's (the line there was even longer), but Jim's (South Street) is pretty good too.

Stafford, Virginia
“Disappointing.”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013 via mobile

Went here after seeing it on TV and was absolutely disappointed. The only good things they have going here are their cleanliness, flashy establishment and troop support. Food was bland and apparently Rudeness is a selling point. Next time I'll try Pat's (across the street)

Riverside, California
“THE VERY BEST CHEESE STEAK”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

How can you go to Philadelphia without trying to find the best cheese steak made? We couldn't pass up the opportunity. Fortunately, two of the most touted, Geno's and Pat's, are across the street from each other. We tried both the same night.

We ordered the same style and content sandwich from both Geno's and Pat's, We cut them in half and conducted the test.

It we our opinion that Geno's was the best of the two. Pat's was a close second.

We also appreciate the support Geno's provides to law enforcement. They proudly display shoulder patches from law enforcement agencies around the country. The tiles and lists of fallen heroes is much appreciated,

• Visited November 2012
1 Thank Chuck8700

Been to Geno's Steaks? Share your experiences!