“Great Food, exceptional service and a nice ambience.” 4 of 5 bubbles

Lovash Indian Restaurant & Bar
Ranked #695 of 4,314 Restaurants in Philadelphia
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Families with children, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Discover, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Dining style: Fine Dining
Neighborhood: City Center East
Cross street: Between S. American St. & S. 3rd St.
Description: At Lovash, we take pride in serving a great variety of Indian food made with fresh, high-quality ingredients. We specialize in Halal food, and are vegan and vegetarian-friendly. Everything we serve is made fresh in-house, and we use only the finest vegetables and ingredients to make each dish. For the best authentic Indian cuisine in Philly, look no further than Lovash!
Philadelphia, PA
“Great Food, exceptional service and a nice ambience.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 19, 2013

The place is small, but comfortable. The menu is full with a decent variety of authentic indian dishes. This was my first time eating Indian food, so I will say I didnt like everything, but I was very pleased with most. The appetizers were very tasty. We had the sampler and also some tandori wings. Nick, our server was extremely polite and had a full knowledge of the menu and the different flavors involved. Its BYOB, and Nick was gracious enough to open and pour for us. EVERYONE's food came out of the kitchen sizzling hot. They brought entrees out one by one, but very close, back to back even. It was quite a presentation. I had the fish tikka and a few in our party had Tandoori chicken. I realy enjoyed the spices and flavors, especially with the tamarind dipping sauce!

I highly recommend this place if your in the mood for Indian food and your in the center city, South st. or Old City areas. The service is exceptional and the prices wont break you. Nice portion sizes too.

• Visited June 2013
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Mohan P, Owner at Lovash Indian Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, September 25, 2013
I know a while has passed, but I still want to thank you for the great review. We love serving our guests their first Indian dish! It's great to hear you found our food delicious and pleasing. I'll be sure to pass your compliments along to Nick.

Thank you again for the great recommendation. I am thrilled we sparked you love for Indian food!

Til next time,
Chef Mohan at Lovash

Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
“Worth Another Try”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 20, 2013

Unfortunately the cook quit the night before we visited Lovash for lunch, so the menu was limited. Still the price was right; the chicken curry that the beleaguered host was able to organize was tasty & warm naan w/ spicy yogurt sauce tastes good under any circumstances. A large fresh mango laasi was a delicious dessert & smoothed the edges of our disappointment w/ the experience.

What's really fun is the neighborhood - the vibrant zany strip of South Street shops between 2d & 3rd. With colorful characters & every kind of ethnic food imaginable & shops selling everything from herbal meds & acupuncture to pretzels, funky clothes, used LPs & antiques, it's a stimulating stroll & when they find a new chef, Lovash is worth another try.

• Visited April 2013
5 Thank Herstory_62
“This is my spot!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2013

Love the food, service, and the food...best kept secret in Philly. Love the meat samosas and the tandoori chicken...mmm. They are always very nice and accomodating. Go here every chance I get.

• Visited July 2012
1 Thank missthang10
Mohan P, Owner at Lovash Indian Restaurant & Bar, responded to this review, September 28, 2013
Thank you for the great review back in March. I'm happy to hear you love the meat samosas and tandoori chicken, and that you've enjoyed coming back to us again and again! Thanks for the fabulous review, and we'll see you soon!

Til next time,
Chef Mohan at Lovash
New York City, New York
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Southeast Asian on South Street”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2013

On a fun little strip called South Street, Lovash was the first Indian restaurant that we spotted and since my mom and I were FAMISHED, ran right on in. We arrived around 3:30 on a Saturday so the place was not at all packed.

Atul our waiter took our order - I ordered a Shahi Paneer right from the "Creations of the Chef's Heart" and my mother ordered Palak Panner. Both orders came with salad and rice, but we ordered two tandoori roti's as well.

Our food came pretty quick and looked soo pretty! I was impressed by the salad display - squash and zucchini sliced thin and long and instead of the typical iceberg lettuce used in most of south-east restaurants, this salad came with spring lettuce! My shahi paneer was really creamy - but spicy for me. My fault, as I asked for a 6 out of 10 on the spice scale....my mothers palak paneer was good - it was mild with a score of 3 out of 10.

The décor was pretty and Atul was really nice - I could tell he was pretty swamped and looked as if he was holding down the fort. It was great Indian. If I find myself back at South Street in Philly and in the mood for Indian, I'd def come back again.

Visited January 2013
West Chester, PA
“Satisfactory food okay atmosphere incredibly bad sound system”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2012

Food wa satisfactory but an incredibly bad sound system detracted significantly from our enjoyment. It wasn't too busy luckily, FOr the first 10 minutes we were treated to otherwise enjoyable Indian music with incredible static. Our request for relief intitally brought silence but was soon followed by 10+ minutes of spoken monotonic chanting, A second request for relief brought very old "Montovani"..... sounded like the original Muzak from the 60s..Oh well, we won't be back!

• Visited February 2012