“Great Stay in Philly”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue
Ranked #48 of 89 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 20, 2010

Stayed here with my family on a visit to U Penn. Breakfast was included, food was decent. Hotel has a small pool and even smaller workout room. The location was great, minutes from the University in West Philly, close to Target, Starbucks, etc, and close to I-76. The rooms were separated by a door which was essential for us, travelling with teens. 2 TV's and a kitchenette. Parking was free on the street or $5 in a gated lot with in/out privelages. "Toni" at the front desk was great, very helpful, and knew us by name. All in all it was the best deal I found for a family of 4, at least $100 cheaper than anything in Center City. Would stay again.

Pros:
2 rooms separated by steel door
Breakfast included.
Great location
Kitchenette
View of City skyline

Cons:
You had to enter the one bathroom through the master bedroom.
No rollaway beds allowed due to fire codes
Carpet was stained in areas (didn't bother me)
Pullout couch in room #2 was not comfortable, and we had to make it up.

Also of note, we saw some very inappropriate stuff on HBO and had to make sure the kids weren't watching it (not the hotel's fault). I believe there are parental controls in the menu setup.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank magellan602

Reviewed July 19, 2010

Standard suites hotel, pool, with standard breakfast, pool and parking across the street with 24 hour attendant and $5 per day charge validated by hotel. Nice little things like not charging me for a soda I bought from their store and giving me one free day of parking.
Suite has bed(s), sofa, armchair, desk and chair, microwave, fridge, dishwasher, dishes, etc. 20 minutes from downtown if traffic is good. We paid $130 per night on weekend.

1  Thank kjff
Reviewed April 23, 2010

We stayed one night while on vacation. This was a good choice for us, as we had a car. It is a good base for visiting downtown Philly _if_ you have your own wheels.
The service by all employees that we came into contact with (front desk night/day, breakfast, housekeeping) was top-notch. Very professional and friendly.
We used the pool (which is shared with the Hilton), and it was quite OK. We did miss a hot tub, though.
This property is connected to the Hilton. If you are just looking for a room (not a suite) you may get a better deal there.
I stayed in the lot across the street, and got my ticket validated at the front desk, but no parking chages appeared on my bill (OK...) But as others have pointed out, spaces appeared to be available on the street overnight.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed April 17, 2010

I chose this hotel because I wanted a suite, and we did have a large suite (Rm 910). However, the carpet was badly stained in many places, and the couch fabric was ripped in several places. I was so disappointed. I am not a finicky guest. I've traveled quite a bit and my husband travels constantly. I can honestly say that this was the worst price/cleanliness combination we have experienced. We expected much more from this hotel given the price and location. This hotel was not worth the price at all.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank travelingschool
Reviewed April 13, 2010

This hotel was great! The service was outstanding. Toni at the Front Desk in the morning who was able to give us first hand advise of what to see and do in the city. The ladies in the even were so pleasant and welcoming. It was great we did not have to go back out in the rain to go to the bar that was at the Hilton. The room was very spacious even though we just had a studio king and VERY clean.
Great Job!!! I had already made reservation at another hotel in the downtown area for the reminder of my trip due to location for a wedding we were going to. I wish I had continued our weekend here though!

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed February 16, 2010

Stayed at the Homewood Suites in Philadelphia for the first time on Friday Feb 12 2010. Was concerned about the road conditions due to snowstorms earlier in week. Called hotel and spoke with Toni and she assured me the roads were fine. I was very happy with hotel, stayed in studio suite 1101 and had a great view of the city. The room was very quite and comfortable and Toni and the gentlemen she worked with on the afternoon of 2/12/10 were great! And get an A in my book for making sure the customer is happy! The parking lot is a little down the road, but not even a 5 minute walk and you can park by the front door to unload and load your car. The only thing I would say that needs a little work is the breakfast, but other than that will stay here anytime I need to go back to Philly.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 12, 2009

First up, really, really cheap for what you get.
Mon-Thu includes a 'light' meal which is effectively an all you can eat buffet, including beer and wine. Decent quality, although sometimes supply problems if the hotel is busy. Breakfast every morning, hot selection not the greatest but something for everyone.
Access to the gym and (tiny) pool in the next door Hilton.
We had the smallest room type and it was still plenty spacious for a couple and really clean and quiet. We also had a nice view of the reservoir. There is a kitchen area and a supermarket nearby, although not that cheap I felt compared to UK prices. There are a couple of restaurants as alternatives, in addition to downtown Philly of course.
Internet included, yes really, in America.

The best bit of our stay was undoubtedly the friendly reception staff, all of whom were excellent with chasing up an urgent package I was waiting on. It arrived, 5 mins before our bus left!

This is not the most central hotel, so you may feel a bit isolated but there is a regular bus service (#44) but this doesn't run very late. There is also a commuter hours train but this is further from the hotel and comparatively expensive.

For the value and great staff, I certainly wouldn't let it put me off staying there if I ever went back to Philly. If it had been central, it would have definitely been a 5* event.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled as a couple