“Family Vacation 8/18-8/21”

Ranked #40 of 85 Hotels in Philadelphia
Exeter PA
“Family Vacation 8/18-8/21”
Reviewed August 22, 2013

The Hotel was great. Everyone who worked there was extremely nice and very accommodating. The suite was nice size and clean. The Breakfasts and Dinners were great. Couldn't have found a better place to stay for 3 nights. Location is just outside the main city , which is nice to plan anything from The Zoo to Penns Landing. Would definitely stay again!!!!!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Chicago, United States
Reviewed August 22, 2013

I was staying on the 9th floor when both elevators were out of service for a day. I have a physical handicap and struggled to use the stairs. The front desk didn't even offer an apology. There was no effort to provide any type of accomodation.

1 Thank Luis N
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this review, August 24, 2013
Thank you for your valuable input regarding our hotel and it's services and amenities. I appreciate you taking the time. Your suggestions and recommendations will assist us in improving our product and service for the future enjoyment of all of our guests. I am so sorry to hear about the problems with the elevator you encountered during your stay at our hotel. The issues have been addressed with the appropriate staff, and I hope this will not deter you from staying with us again. Next time you are coming into the area, please let me know so I may make sure you receive the true Hilton experience. Once again, thank you for your input and patronage.
Rochester, New York
Reviewed August 20, 2013

We recently stayed at the Homewood Suites on City Ave while visiting some family and going to a wedding. At first, I was very pleased, we got a room on the 12th floor with a beautiful view. The room was clean and very nice, the first night the lady at the front desk was nice enough. The next morning is when the problems started. We went downstairs for breakfast which was mediocre, although I never really expect much from a hotel continental breakfast. However, on our way down to breakfast, the elevator stalled on the 9th floor and, at first wouldn't open, then wouldn't close. So the other couple in the elevator pushed the call button and the girl just said get out and use the stairs, which is fine, I'd rather not get trapped in the elevator. So we walked down 9 flights of stairs, eh no big deal. After breakfast, the elevators were still broken, so we went to target which is right down the street just so we didn't have to climb 12 flights of stairs. We get back from target over an hour later and the elevators are still broken. At this point, we had to shower and get ready for the wedding, so we had to climb 12 flights of stairs. Again, wouldn't have been a big deal, but when we asked at the front desk if they'd be up soon, as we did not want to climb 12 flights of stairs, the girl, Holly, at the front desk was so incredibly rude, blaming the elevator company saying there's nothing she could do about it... (she could have tried to be hospitable.. .you know, since she's supposed to be in the hospitality business) Then, when we came back downstairs, she was whining and moaning about the whole thing to one of the other guys that works there while shooting us nasty looks as we were sitting waiting for our ride to get there. I told the gentleman at the front desk about how nasty she was when we were checking out and he said he would take the parking off the room, so we'll see if that actually happens, but he was very nice, which is the main reason this is getting 3 stars instead of 1.

Room Tip: It seems as though the elevators break frequently so ask for a room on one of the lower floors if yo...
1 Thank Cary3p
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed August 18, 2013

The hotel bookended a road trip out of PHL.
It's attached to a Hilton wich offers a nice bar, and a restaurant.
The location is great fro getting into the city, and for some shopping.
For us, it was clean, the mattress was fine, the A/C worked.
When we had trouble with the TV, someone was up within 10 minutes.
The breakfasts and weekday dinners are a plus. I brought down my own yogurt for breakfast (refrigs. in room)
When I got home from my trip, weeks after I embarrassingly left some jewelry in the first room, and after I exhausted all other possibilities I called. The manager had my jewelry and was holding it in his safe for me since I was returning to the area. That's worth the EXCELLENT rating right there!
Enjoy----

Room Tip: We stayed both times on the reservoir side. Good view of cityscape.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
Atlanta
Reviewed August 18, 2013

stayed here with my wife on a very short trip to Philly. This hotel is more suited to a longer stay. Room was efficiency style with a full kitchen, sitting area, bedroom and bath. no charging station near bed, must pull nite stand to get to outlet to charge your phone. Sink area is separate from water closest but doesn't have its own door, so if you are using it, it will be a distraction to someone in bed b/c the bed is right next to it. Hotel offers hot breakfast AND dinner. That night they had chicken teriyaki, but we were heading elsewhere. Used the fitness room which is shared with next door's Hilton. Could not access with my key however and had to have someone let me in. Parking is down the street in a public lot ($5 full in/out privileges), but that 1 minute walk is a bummer when its raining. Asked the front desk if they had an umbrella. They replied, yes, I think one's for sale in the gift shop. (!!)Lobby area is neat and clean. Our room looked over the scenic (?) Belmont Reservoir, but has a great view of the skyline of Philly. My wife was impressed with the 4 PM room delivery of two waters and package of cookies.

Hicksville, United States
Reviewed August 15, 2013

We always enjoy staying at the Hilton, either the hotel or the Homewood Suites. The rooms are extremely comfortable and the staff is wonderful. I always stay at a Hilton whenver and wherever I travel. They always deliver

Seminole, Fl
Reviewed August 15, 2013

This was an excellent choice for a hotel for Philadelphia. My son was swimming with a local swim team in the mornings and then we would go sightseeing. Stayed for 5 days, was extremely comfortable and the parking was only $5 per day. Would definitely stay again, especially having priced some of the downtown area hotels. Not much of a big city person and was glad not to be staying deep inside the city.