“Best Stay for Your Money”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue
Ranked #42 of 87 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed February 25, 2013

Let me start this off by staying it takes a lot to compel me to go out of my way to write a good review. However, my stay here is worth the extra time to compliment the property, management, and most importantly the staff.

I travel a lot as a government employee and for personal pleasure. I stay at dozens of hotels every year and most of my stays are about average. The Homewood Suites on City Avenue is above average with its amenities and appointments, to include the rooms, but that is not enough to get a rave review. It is the staff the staff that was amazing... whether it was a thoughtful and extremely well cooked dinner, or being greeted by the sweetest woman (Toni!) at the front counter, the staff made me feel like I was a rich man staying at the Waldorf Astoria in Manhattan. Seriously, every person went out of their way to remember the names of myself, my wife, my colleagues, and their families... It was the personalized touch of a bed and breakfast in a franchise hotel. I made it a point to speak with the manager and tell him how awesome his staff was, he then made sure to find me during dinner and thank me for the kind words. All that he asked in return was a nice review on trip advisor... so here it is! If you are staying in Philly, this place is close to the downtown area, affordable, near shopping, and will give you the best service ever... it wasn't just one person it was the whole staff!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded March 8, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and kind words. If there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

There are newer reviews for Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue

Reviewed February 25, 2013

Our recent stay was completely positive right from the start, walking into the lobby and receiving a friendly welcome from Toni at the front desk. It is amazing how Toni greets everyone by name and the warm interaction she has with guests. Our room was well appointed, spacious and clean, with both a comfortable bed & a comfortable pull out sofa. We took advantage of the work out facilities, which was a plus after a long drive. The complimentary manager’s reception in the evening as well as the complimentary breakfast the next day was a real bonus- the food was very good and it certainly adds a great value to your stay. Parking was convenient and cheap at only $5.00 a day, with in & out privileges.
We would definitely recommend this hotel and certainly plan to return should our travels take us back to Philly.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. Again, I thank you for your review and if there is anything we can do to enhance our services please let us know. We are always listening to our guests. Thanks again for choosing our hotel!

Reviewed February 22, 2013

Shows like new, well equipped rooms for travelers requiring suite style accommodations with kitchen with necessary utensils.

Indoor pool is nice, and well equipped fitness center for this category hotel. Adequate included breakfast.

Small fee for ample parking, but on a very cold day it’s an awkwardly long walk to your car.

No wireless except in the lobby, and awkward shortfall given how so few of today’s portable electronics have a hardwire internet port.

Monotone unfriendly evening front desk manager; she was difficult to communicate with and was not very welcoming. The morning front desk attendant was far friendlier and accommodating.

Connects to the Hilton for access to a prime steakhouse and an upscale bar for socializing and unwinding.

Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Very nice place- greeted on late arrival. Room was clean and well-kept. Suites were a little noisy at night but settled down for a good night's sleep. A definite option is staying longer than 2 nights. Recommended steak restaurant in adjoining Hilton VERY expensive - not a family eatery, Was very nice and steaks were awesome but if your on a budget some other recommendations would be helpful. Breakfast was good - maybe could run a little later. And yes, Wifi was only accessible in lobby and was extremely unreliable and room option was being chained to a desk. Better off using business center which was nice.

Reviewed February 18, 2013

Traveled with my kids ages 4 and 11. The room was clean and spacious. Good water pressure and no issues with the HVAC. Nice to have the kitchen to microwave some snacks or grab some late night ice cream without leaving the room. We loved the pool, great water terperature. I do have a safety problem with the pool area. VERY slippery around the pool when wet, and of course it is wet. I saw some falls and many near misses. Lastly, Sunday morning by 0900 there was no hot breakfast remaining and very little of anything else. Maybe the Holiday crowds were not anticipated. I would surely stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for an upper floor.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. I apologize that you had some issues while staying at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were inconvenienced with the breakfast. I sincerely apologize if this may have caused you any inconveniences and I assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our property. Our main priority is for our guests to experience an exceptional stay with us and I regret that we were not able to deliver this to you.

Reviewed February 17, 2013

The staff is kind and considerate. The WiFi is only available in the lobby. The staff is nice enough but they can't "fix" this problem. The dinner service is reasonable but it is really just salad and some sort of meat dish. I would have rather been able to cook in my room. No toaster or oven so I had to eat out or take advantage of the lobby dinner.

As mentioned before, the staff was quality and considerate. The things that went wrong during this visit had nothing to do with their service. They were completely powerless to correct.

By the way... Other Hilton hotels with no WiFi in the rooms offered a wifi switch I could plug in and then use the wifi in my room.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Caryn M

Thank you for your review of your recent stay with us; your comments are appreciated. I apologize that the internet access was of concern. We have contacted our internet provider to troubleshoot any problems, in order to offer better service in the future. If you plan to travel to the area again in the future, please consider staying with us.

Reviewed February 14, 2013

Spacious suites, clean accomodations, superb customer service, convenient location and a great value for your money. Only downside is no WiFi in the room. The staff here is super attentive and Toni at the front desk always makes us feel totally welcomed and well-cared for. She is just outstanding!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family

Thank you for your review. We appreciate the opportunity to welcome you to our hotel and appreciate your business. I apologize that you had some issues while staying at our hotel. I understand from your review that you were inconvenienced by not having WiFi available in your room. I sincerely apologize if this may have caused you any inconveniences and I assure you that your comments will be taken into consideration to improve our property. Our main priority is for our guests to experience an exceptional stay with us and I regret that we were not able to deliver this to you.