“Lovely View of Reservoir & Downtown in Distance;  Delicious Meals;  $5 or Free Parking”

Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue
Ranked #42 of 88 Hotels in Philadelphia
Reviewed July 26, 2012 via mobile

(Close to Downtown without Being in Heart of City)

Smallish/ narrow studio suite with relaxing view of Belmont Reservoir out bedroom window. (At times you can see geese & other birds enjoying the water.)

Studio not as spacious as some Homewood Suites (HS) and:

• Comfortable bedroom with desk & ergonomic chair across from foot of bed.

• Moved furniture in living room to make TV viewable.

• Room floor plan -- narrow living room/ kitchenette then bedroom (at far end by window) -- doesn't allow enough natural light to reach living room.

• Kitchenette had small dishwasher (not full sized) not properly anchored, so each time you opened dishwasher door, whole unit tilted forward. (Countertop prevented it from toppling over.)

Niceties:

• Free internet/WiFi.

• Computers/ printer in comfortable seated area; print documents & boarding passes.

• Working washers & dryers in guest laundry.

• $5 self-parking in nearby lot; but (if persistent) you can find *free* on-street parking. (Versus $45 parking in heart of Center City.)

• Modern, spacious exercise room in Hilton next door attached by hallways. (From 2nd floor entrance point at Homewood, the winding walk to the adjacent Hilton exercise room becomes part of workout regime).

• Headphones are provided for built-in TVs in treadmills/ ellipticals. (View out large windows (on to street & passersby) for change of scenery & take in natural light.)

• For change of pace from treadmill routine, loop around pleasant, side-walk friendly area.

• Peppy elevators eliminated long waits; 12 floors.

Breakfast & Dinner:

• Consistently *delicious* breakfasts & dinners (with variety & healthy choices) trumped any room annoyances:

--  Standard, good-quality HS breakfasts (hot & cold items) with healthy options served in lodge across from lobby. (Always hope for Greek yogurt, additional whole grain breads, & greater assortment of fresh fruit.)

--  Hearty, full evening meals on: Mon., Tue., Wed., & Thur.. (Extremely convenient if you haven't time to prepare your own meals.)

• For evenings when food isn’t served, 2 restaurants in adjoining Hilton: Delmonico’s Steak & Polo Lounge.

• Several eateries (to suite various tastes & budgets) are within a ½ mile (0.8km) -- about 15-minute walk; call-in order & pick up on your way home from day’s activities. (Would prefer *convenience* of healthy, hearty HS meals every night -- particularly if you've had a long work or play day.)

• If you’ve time/ inclination, food shop & prepare your own meals in furnished kitchenette.

Convenient to Airport & Downtown Philadelphia:

• Depending on traffic, approx. 35-min. drive (13 miles (21 km)) to Philadelphia International Airport (PHL); no HS airport shuttle.

• Depending on traffic, approx. 20-min. drive (6 miles (9.6 km)) to Center City (City Hall) Philadelphia.

Overall, a solid Homewood for short- or long-stay whether traveling with family, as a couple, or alone on business.

• Stayed: August 2011
5  Thank gnomemoss
Robert M, General Manager at Homewood Suites by Hilton Philadelphia-City Avenue, responded to this reviewResponded September 12, 2012

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience. It was a pleasure having you with us. We are glad that you enjoyed your stay and we look forward to welcoming you back to the Homewood Suites-Philadelphia City Avenue.

Reviewed July 24, 2012

I just got back from staying at Homewood Suites in Philly with my 7 year old son. I had such a great experience that I will definitely recommend this hotel to all my friends interested in visiting Philidelphia. The hotel room was ready well ahead of the time listed on the internet which made it very convenient for me since I arrived earlier than anticipated. Check in and check out was a breeze and the meals offered for breakfast and dinner were excellent even with my picky eater! There was something for him to eat at every meal. Everyone at the front desk was so professional and courteous to all guests. However Toni stood out for me. My son was so amazed that she knew us and addressed us by name every time we returned from our adventures and that she was able to juggle two telephone calls at one time.

The hotel was extremely clean and anything you could possibly need was right at your fingertips.

The bus route is right along City Avenue which made it convenient to go straight into the city itself without paying the ridiculous prices charged at the parking garages. This was another tip provided by the wonderful staff at the main desk. They definitely helped me save quite a bit of money.

When I come back to Philly which I definitely will, I will be staying at Homewood Suites again.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank tsmith3966

Reviewed July 23, 2012

We had a wonderful trip to Philly with our granddaughter and arrived at Homewood tired out. Vanessa greeted us at the desk with a warm smile, doted on our "princess" and made sure we knew where everything was. Yes,arming was a little walk, but who doesn't need a walk once on a while? One less check mark on the shared pool with the Hilton....one it was too small, two overly chlorined, and a tacky entrance off of the hallway. The added plus was the awesome fireworks display we watched from our room window before retiring for the night.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family

Reviewed July 15, 2012

Stayed here for 5 nights with family. Initially, the hotel's entrance is actually off City Avenue and not from City Avenue - so I missed it twice before I found it. The parking lot is opposite of the hotel not on-site, so it's a small walk to the lot. The pool and gym is actually a shared facility with Hilton on Level 2, which are nice facilities but you had to walk through a few doors to find them.

The staff is really nice. Vanessa at the front desk is very nice and informative. The kitchen is very professional, the evening reception was the best I had in the Homewood Suites experience (I had stayed over 20+ homewood suites around the US and Canada).

The room is actually surprisingly larger than other hotels, and you can not hear traffic from City Avenue. Take corner rooms where you can see views and Philly Downtown. Nice hotel, well maintained overall.

Room Tip: Ask for corner rooms, higher floors - quieter and better views, corners rooms are also bigger rooms...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank Tommy S

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for four nights because it was close to relatives, close to the highway and the price was right.

You always wonder what you are getting into when you accommodation is a "suite"? This was really a large hotel room with a well stocked kitchen area (table, two chairs, large refrigerator, dishwasher, a real stove, pots, dishes etc) a comfortable living room area (sofa, chair and coffee table) and a good king size bed. There was also a large desk and good office chair. They used furniture to break the room up into areas. The large flat screen TV was on a swivel so you could watch it in the living room or in bed.

Bonuses were the really riendly staff who made you feel at home, the view of the Philadelphia skyline and the large water reservoir that is right in front of the hotel. I counted 52 Canada geese in it.

I did not give them a higher score because of the parking. It is outside and a good walk down the hill to the parking area - which is no fun in the rain. Although they only charged $5 a day for parking, I thought it should have been included in the room charge. To me it is nickel and diming a captive clientel. The other negative as the breakfast. It was only OK. If you come too late to breakfast you may end up with a limited choice. The waffel maker did not work well and the scrambled eggs were made from some mix or other.

The basics were well taken care of:: the rooms are quiet, nicely decorated, the elevators were fast and everything is clean.

It is a nice area of the city bordering on parkland. You can be at several of the touristy sites within ten minutes.

I had not been in Philadelphia in 38 years and it is much nicer than I remembered it. A very green city with good restaurants and lots to see and do. I am sure I will stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the reservoir side of the building.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank imacd

Reviewed July 9, 2012

I did not have a reservation but Maureen at the front desk was excellent. The suite was large and the layout was well thought out, as the bed was away from the door in a psuedo alcove which means you are not disturbed by hallway noises.

The bed was surprisingly very comfortable. There was a lot of towels and toiletries in the bathroom. The most important fact though was the overall cleanliness of the accomodation.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo
1  Thank ASB_Germantown

Reviewed July 6, 2012

I am a customer service snob. I have stayed at this hotel 3 times and this time I brought my family. The staff is exceptional. If Homewood Suites ever lose Vanessa and Toni, I truly wonder where they would ever find replacements. I don't think they exist!

We stayed for 3 nights. Breakfast and the "light" dinner were wonderful as always and the kitchen staff was extremely attentive as well. Free beer and wine in the evenings was awesome. I would stay here anytime, under any circumstances.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family